Countach Technical Thread & Questions | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Countach Technical Thread & Questions

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by jollygood, Mar 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    +1

I agree with Tim. Gummed up carbs is due to fuel sitting. Any regular running, even if a little bit solves that. Slight contamination to gas may run a little less optimum but isn't what gums things up.

-mick

2. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    List of stations that carry ethanol-free fuel. They even had my local hillbilly mom and pop place with the rusty pumps (but new tanks 2011) and the spittoon out front: Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

3. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Keeping the tanks full minimizes condensation in the tank. Standard procedure with airplanes.

4. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    you wont find any in Ct. It is prohibited i beleive. I looked into it a while back. Many state are going to prohibit non ethanol as well. I think all the politicos doing this should be voted out. Ethanol solves nothing claimed other than making a category of people with influence richer. Anyway, I also believe we are all in for a hike of ethanol ratio soon,especially in CT. Some blend are at 30% in "advanced" locations...
    over 10% will do wonder I am sure for the old engines as wellas fairly recent cars and that is where the battle is right now. but it seems the war is lost as no one really cares.

5. #105 EarlyCat, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    Alfa 33 is a direct replacement for the QV's.. not sure about the 5000s but i would think so. As far as gas additive.. i always buy gas at a station 5miles away that has non-ethanol/poison gas BUT i have used Startron in the past and it does seem to work. The boat guys around here use it as they are also Anti ethanol. It destroys old carbs and gaskets Peter... don't run it.

7. triple-x

triple-x Formula 3

Jun 4, 2009
    Full Name:
    Mr.Platinum

It'll work but you have to modify it. You'll also lose the ability to bleed it from the top of the motor.

Ask Chad he'll tell you. We had to use one like this for mine. In the future I plan on rebuilding my original and putting it back.

8. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Ken,
    you are lucky to have non poisonous fuel. In my state it is forbidden for sale. No station has it and I dont fly so I cant refuel at airports :))).
    The ethanol does destroy the gasket. The worst has yet to come as the gov agency is pushing a move from 10% to 15% despite the controversies on being "ecologic".
    I heard in some state 15% is already the norm. Disgusting...

9. I wonder what was modified? It's pretty easy to rebuild one, I might just get a kit.

10. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    To change the discussion from value, which only exotics owner/drivers can understand the blessing/curse dilemna, lets revive this thread which for some reasons keep dying in here.

It is hard to talk technical when having little or no issues but there are common issues to the Countach design. One of them being the starter.

It has to be a solution for reliability to have a new lighter more adapted starter that the original Bosh and tuck away the original after rebuilt to new.

Many have experienced the non-start hot car and having to wait 30mn to 1h before the starter cools off. The heat shield is not match for the heat near the exhaust header and it is a matter of time before you hit the problem if you drive the car for more that just the local restaurant.

Chad never finished the investigation into one.

So has anyone used a more lighter modern starter ? could this be relocated.
    I also heard people using starter insulator/wrapper. Is that a good solution? in a way the starter should not generate much heat when activated so I can see no downfall.

11. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    Yeah, Patrick and I discussed this yesterday. The only thing I can think of is attach insulation to the shield and also wrap the starter.

I remember Chad saying he's have to have car in for engine out/clutch replacement to come up with something.
    Maybe Chad can chime in.

12. jollygood

jollygood Formula 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Full Name:
    jollygood

It's the power going to the starter that's the problem IMO.
    Not the starter itself.
    There's a fix for this with a bigger relay and some heavier gauge wiring.

13. islandguy

islandguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Northern CA & NV
    #113 islandguy, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Agree.

Last year I installed a starter booster relay courtesy of Alberto.

There was an immediate audioable difference in the sound and speed of the starter during startup. Since then I’ve never had that awkward feeling that occurs during the first second of turning the key wondering if the battery was low or worse.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. islandguy

islandguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Northern CA & NV
    Speaking of relays I found a great source:

Texas Industrial Electric: relays continuous duty 12 volt & 24 volt DC power relays,starter relays
    Talk to Sherrie. No affiliation other than being a happy customer.

0332-019-151 (supersedes 0332-014-151)
    0332-209-150 (supersedes 0332-204-150)
    0332-209-151 (supersedes 0332-204-151)

$9.75 ea . Received in two days

I have yet to find a direct replacement for the Italamec fuel pump relay (S in the book). This is essentially a 0332-019-151 with a fuse on the top. Hella makes one but I don’t trust their parts. The KAE fuel pump timer relay 3.304.100 cross reference # is 12 63 1 277 245, popular on BMW’s, is about $35 on ebay. Next on the list is the Italamec 70A 384

Larry

15. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    Wow, that make sense!
    I'd be willing to try that for the 400s.

Plus I'm about to test my fuel pressure.......

16. 2aftercannonball

2aftercannonball Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2006
    Peter, I've had mine setup this way for the last 10 years. It completely solved the issue.

17. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    Is it easy to do? Or should I say can it be done from underneath. I assume you don't have to remove the starter :)
    What's the procedure?

BTW, is it the Alberto who just recently sold his car?

Patrick, I think you and I are going to have an afternoon on your lift lol

18. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    sure. I can share the lift! I had that schematic the first time I had the starter issue the first time but after the shop looked at it, they said the starter was failing due to heat.

After a few thousands for the job and a complete starter rebuilt, I spend 2 years of no issues to now have the hot start thing again after driving non stop for 1h or so.

may be the 400s and 500s have a different starter issue. What I am questioning here is if indeed that mod is necessary, why did I have no issues for 2 years? Clearly something affects the starter over time and heat is the obvious culprit.

19. islandguy

islandguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Northern CA & NV
    I too can’t attest to the necessity of the mod, however I can say with confidence that my starter has been working fine for over 10 years, heat and all. This includes years of running the car with cats (thank you California) which recently I attribute to a burned up alternator.

When I installed the booster relay we were already under the car to repair a frayed starter solenoid wire. I figured while under there might as well do it. Once done I immediately noticed a difference, but that’s my subjective observation, YMMV. We’ll see how long it lasts. If it out lasts the throw-out bearing I’ll be more than happy ;)

20. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    Mine just clicks occasionally when I turn the key. No waiting though, I turn the key a second or third time and the starter does what it's suppose to. It was rebuilt less than 200 miles ago.
    I can see where more power would give it a swift kick in the butt to get going.

21. jollygood

jollygood Formula 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Full Name:
    jollygood
    The added boost relay and wire fix is a well known factory "upgrade".
    I had mine done at the factory in Sant' Agata 13 years ago.
    Never missed a beat since.

22. petrolfumes

petrolfumes Karting

Jan 25, 2006
    Next to garage
    Full Name:
    mr petrolfumes
    +1 for the relay mod.

I had some occasional troubles when the engine was hot but not anymore.

Why run all of the solenoid current through the key switch when there is big fat cable straight from the battery at the starter? Gotta love Italian electrics! The mod might also improve the life of the key switch with less current going through it.

23. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    #123 Peter K., Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
    Need an alternator belt. Mine is the Pirelli/Dayco 202L-728. 54 teeth on it. lp400/lp400s era.
    Already seen the $88 plus $16 shipping.
    No problem spending money, but like to get one that is realistic in price.

24. jollygood

jollygood Formula 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Full Name:
    jollygood

Did you check with Pirelli?

25. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name: