QQ ("historic") plates in New Jersey | FerrariChat

QQ ("historic") plates in New Jersey

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by lopena, Jul 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I am running New Jersey QQ plates on my '88 328GTB (as well as three other collector cars). No problems with law enforcement yet but the law now clearly states that QQ plates should only be used on cars used SOLELY for exhibitions, shows and educational purposes.

Has anyone had any problems at all with QQ's and law enforcement in the garden state?

2. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    None whatsoever. I run QQs on my E-Type and my 308, and I drive them year round - never pulled over for any reason.

3. wjg1912

wjg1912 Rookie

Feb 4, 2006
    There is a difference between historic plates and collector plate in New Jersey

4. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Historic vehicles
    General inspections are not required for historic or collector vehicles. To be classified as a "historic vehicle" it must be: At least 25 years old
    Specially registered and display QQ plates

Collector vehicles
    To be classified as a "collector vehicle" you need to apply when you register and make sure that the vehicle: Is not registered as a "historic vehicle" or a "street rod"
    Is not driven more than 3,000 miles per year
    Is insured as a limited use "collector vehicle"

5. Lenvo65

Lenvo65 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    Bergen Cty NJ
    FYI for Collector Vehicles, once you get to 25 years old they will no longer let you register with collector status, I had it for 4 years with my 86 Mondial, but next registration period after her 25 th anniversary I could only have Historical (QQ) or regular registration. I've gone with regular and passed inspection at a state station twice now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    So, you had no problem with the emission test at the NJ DMV station on a dead-stock Mondial? Very interesting.

I went with QQ plates because my private emissions tester was having big trouble getting my 328 to pass.

For now I guess I'll stick with the QQ's until law enforcement starts busting balls (which may never happen, hopefully).

7. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I think that's a good plan - I highly doubt you are going to have any issues. Not impossible, but I doubt it.

Good luck.

8. Lenvo65

Lenvo65 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    Bergen Cty NJ

Yes - Paramus NJ DMV station - both times (2 months ago and prior 2+ years ago) I've gone they seem to take a bunch of time, I think trying to get a reading I suspect of timing or something electronic as they put some rind of sensor on top of the engine, and I think eventually give up.

9. wjg1912

wjg1912 Rookie

Feb 4, 2006
    Is there a specific DMV office in northern New Jersey or will any office handle an out of state titled car that I want to title and register in new jersey as a historic car ?

10. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I've had QQ plates on several different cars including 3 XKEs, driven them extensively, and never gotten pulled over or asked by a cop where I was going with it. Nice part of QQ is that you don't need a front plate, and no inspection whatsoever. And no mileage limitation (not that I ever did more than 3K/yr. with any of the cars.). If I ever got asked, I would have said I was coming/going to a car club event or meeting.

"Collector car" registration in NJ is restricted to cars that are less than 25 years old and are considered "collectible" because of limited production. You need to provide proof that the car meets collectible criteria. I registered a 308 and my 328 as collector cars before they reached 25 years old, no problem. Just photocopied production numbers and said "it's a Ferrari" and I got collector car designation. You still have to register the car with regular plates, and you just get a special collector car inspection sticker. They don't inspect the car, they only record the mileage, and you are limited to 3K/yr., renew sticker every two years. Not restriction on use, just mileage.

11. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I believe any DMV office can give you the forms for historic registration. You can submit the forms, but I believe they have to send it off to Trenton and then you get the new title and registration in the mail, possibly the plates too. But since they "modernized" their systems, you may be able to do it at any location as long as you have the right paperwork filled out.

12. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Any NJ DMV office can register a car purchased out of state as a 'collector car' (less than 25 years old) or an 'historic QQ' car (25 years or older). I just did this at Eatontown where I registered my newly purchased '87 BMW M6 (from NY) as a historic vehicle.

You'll need two photos of the car (front and side view), the old title (from whatever state) proof of classic car insurance, the proper forms filled out correctly, and a large check to pay the NJ sales tax. Whole thing took about an hour.

13. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I've had all 7 of my 328's registered as regular cars in NJ and I've yet to fail an emission inspection.

Just jinxed myself, didn't I?

14. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I never knew about the collector car registration...essentially saves the inspection I guess given I only go 2-3K/year with my 360 and prior weekend sports cars I've had over the years.

Keep in mind, you can still get collector car insurance even if the car isn't "registered" as a collector car- two different things!

15. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    AJS328:

Just to be clear...did you have your 7(wow!) 328's inspected at NJ state facilities or did you have a private mechanic do the inspections?

16. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    State facilities every time. They always raised a few eyebrows but it's free and I never had a problem (except for having to show the workers how to work the handbrake every time). :)

17. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

You mean removing the 2 chocks of wood from the trunk and placing them under the back tires ;-)

Actually, after changing the brake fluid and rebleeding my 308QV brakes last year, the bonus is the parking brake now holds better, I don't have any reason as to why, but it does.

18. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    This is true; switched to QQ plates about 1 1/2 years ago because DMV would not renew my Collector plates...

19. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Is this true? You don't need a front QQ plate? Then why do they supply two?