FF exhaust | FerrariChat

FF exhaust

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by SSR, Jun 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SSR

SSR Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    Hello my FF sounds horrible like hi pressure air,this is how these car sounds?

2. London John

London John Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London & Melbourne
    Full Name:
    John
    Not from the outside......

3. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    #3 Noblesse Oblige, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
    I wouldn't describe the stock FF exhaust this way, but my major complaint about the car was that it is too quiet inside the cabin. It is just a little too subdued for me. I understand that the FF is meant to be more comfortable and refined than the sports cars, but I wanted to hear more V12. So I invested in the Novitec muffler system with valves. It is now just about perfect. One can still hum along in comfort mode at cruising speeds for long distances without being annoyed by too much noise, but now the full howl of the V12 is there on command.

4. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    Does the Novitec produce more of a noticeable difference between sports and normal mode? Or does the difference only show up when you plant your foot down?

I've seen the Novitec demo video, but was just wondering what is it really like in real life.

5. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    The valves are mostly activated by the throttle, but there is some difference between comfort and sport mode. For example, I can run along at 2500 RPM in 7th (85 mph) in sport and the valves are open. But if I switch to comfort, the valves close.

Going in I thought I might need to add the Capristo switch (which I have on the 458). To date, I don't feel the need for it.

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I thought with the novitec and capristo when you use the manettino to swtich to sport is keeps the valves opened full time, no?

7. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    I also thought so having seen the video demo. But that is not how it works as installed in my '14. It is more complicated than that, as described above in Post 5. Switching to Sport at idle does not open the valves; you need to give it some throttle (not much though). But switching to Sport at speed does open them. Also the valves will open in Comfort but it takes more throttle to do so. Evidently the factory software governs this. I actually prefer it this way.

8. rmitchell248

rmitchell248 Formula 3

May 26, 2013
    Nürburg
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Hey guys. Using the manettino to control the exhaust valves as in the Novitec videos is only if you get the ECU tuned by Novitec with your exhaust upgrade. Capristo does not offer this, they have only a remote or the stock controls. The bad part about the stock control is that there is an obvious switch at lower rpm and it sounds horrible outside with the on/off of the exhaust while you are cruising at a lower speed. Mainly noticed in town.

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    are you sure? im being told that with the capristo you can easily use the stock control so that when you switch the manettino into sport the exhaust valves are held open

im not following your comment about the horrible sound.

are you saying that if you do a capristo exhaust it will cause the valves to open sooner at lower rpm and it sounds bad?

and when you switch from comfort to sport it has no impact?

10. rmitchell248

rmitchell248 Formula 3

May 26, 2013
    Nürburg
    Full Name:
    Robert
    With Capristo you get a remote. it has 4 buttons on it and you push the button that corresponds with the mode you want. I have not seen a relationship with the manettino.

The only offering that I have seen here is with a Novitec tune since that is in their software.

I suppose Capristo could have figured out a way to control their radio module with a signal from the manettino, it may be worth a call to them to find out.

11. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    This would explain the difference between the video and the factory controlled software. I did not get the ECU tune and won't because it will void the warranty. The Capristo switch is always available but so far I have not felt the need for it in my use of the FF. I do have the Novitec exhaust and Capristo switch for the 458; it works fine.

12. SSR

SSR Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    Jajaja I have the other way Capristo exh and Novi remote ...

13. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    I think they are basically the same.

14. FFMAC

FFMAC Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mac
    The Capristo system can be hooked up to the manettino or controlled by remote when it's installed. I chose the remote and I'm glad I did as I never drive with the valves set permanently on open as to me the sound is perfect as is and as I mostly drive in sport mode, it's good to have the option separately.

15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ok so the novitec ECU is not required to get the exhaust to work with the manettino?

16. FFMAC

FFMAC Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mac
    As far as I am aware, no, although it was never discussed in detail. The ECU was not mentioned at installation, I was merely asked whether I wanted the valves to be controlled via the manettino or via remote fob.

17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yeh the more I think thru it the less it makes sense. from the factory the manettino can not be setup to control the valves so why wld it be possible with an aftermarket exhaust. the only way it makes sense is via the ECU program.

18. Exotica Motorsports

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Jason Godsil
    The Novitec or stock exhaust valves can be controlled by the Manettino but only through the ECU upgrade.

19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ok thanks. is it possible to set it up so that the valves are only permanently open in race mode so that in comfort and sport they only open via throttle?

20. Exotica Motorsports

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Jason Godsil
    Yes. You can also have it configured to open the valves at an rpm of your choosing in the other settings.

21. FFMAC

FFMAC Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mac
    I stand corrected!

22. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    She just needs sportcats for the perfect sound! The F12's tone and volume increased perfectly with the sportcats. Not too loud, but a big upgrade and definite performance increase. Wouldn't be as cheap as lugging the valves open, but it has many more benefits!

23. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I just picked up an FF and I agree I think it could use some sportcats and valve control unit and your off.

24. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    might as well do the x pipe along with the high flow cats, no?

25. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I think the FF exhaust is perfect as is, semi quiet normally, and loud and mean when you want (if you understand how to manage the exhaust and computers). Manettino in sport, rpm over 3K with a slight push on the gas to keep things open. I pull out of my office in the little town I'm in and immediately take it up to 3K in first and the entire downtown resonates with huge Ferrari sound! :)