Countach Technical Thread & Questions | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Countach Technical Thread & Questions

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by jollygood, Mar 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. islandguy

islandguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Northern CA & NV
    #126 islandguy, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. jollygood

jollygood Formula 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Full Name:
    jollygood

How many amps are you getting out if it with the rectifier upgrade?

3. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    If i recall i changed mine several years ago and used a rebuilt Porsche 924 with more amps for $95 or so. I believe these alternators are quite common. there is only 1 part you have to swap to make it fit. Chad mentioned it somewhere

4. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    I used an advertised 200 amp unit from a 928. After several returns and mods from the manufacturer, mine managed 120-130 amps (going from memory) Car still needs more power to run 2 fuel pumps, four fans, A/C system, and don't dare to use the lights because the charging system cant keep up :(

5. 12097

12097 Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2007
    Regina, Canada
    PURISTS....... DO NOT READ !!!!!!!!!!!

There is a modification that can solve the problem of too much current draw and a factory alternator that runs out of capacity.

If the air pump has already been removed from your car, you can mount a small auxiliary alternator off of the existing air pump bracket.

You use a single wire domestic alternator (with internal voltage regulator) that faces the same way as the existing alternator or A/c compressor

The belt uses the spare pulley space on the A/C compressor.

You will have to fabricate a bracket to run off back of the new alternator for stability.

The system works slick and best of all is easily removed to put back into a stock configuration.

At idle....with all lights, cooling fans on, AND air conditioning running, the voltage does not drop off when tested at the rear power block.

Please note that while the results are outstanding, I can't take credit for this modification tip.
    A friend of mine did this to his car and the results were simply amazing.

Cheers

6. islandguy

islandguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Northern CA & NV
    You may be thinking about an AL170X for a Porsche 928. My original plan was to use the guts of a 170, all 170's are rated at 115A, but it turns out they only have 8 diodes. When we opened mine is was a 14 diode unit rated at 130A.

I can’t say that the amperage rating is correlated to the number of diodes, it’s about the windings. The more diodes the less chance it will fail at higher currents & temps. Others here may be able to provide a detailed technical analysis.

I took it down to O’Reilly auto parts to have it checked. Their machine only indicates pass/fail depending on the P/N you input. It doesn’t explicitly tell you Voltage & Amps. We selected a 130A P/N for the test and the unit “passed” 3 times.

I considered that one. Here’s a link to the 200A 928 unit: 928 Motorsports - Porsche® Performance Parts - 200-amp Alternators for Late-Model Porsche® 928

7. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    I have heard of two altenator setups as 12097 has described. That may be the answer???
    In the mean time, I wont go out at night :)

8. islandguy

islandguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Northern CA & NV
    Turns out my alternator is rated at 200A.

For reference this project started because after a long drive on a hot day I pulled into the garage, turned off the ignition, removed the key, and the battery light was glowing & the electronic climate control was still on. I removed every fuse; still a glowing battery light. The climate control stayed illuminated until I removed fuse #10. The voltage leak was coming from the alternator side of #10, through the fuse, and powering (at a very low voltage) everything connected to fuses 8, 9 & 10 which are all ganged on the ignition side of the fuse block. It was a bad diode in the alternator.

A couple years ago somewhere on this or another forum I provided voltage drop #'s as the fans & AC switched on. My low voltage issue at the time was fixed by going through all the grounds (thanks all you guys for helping me out on that one). Now with a rebuilt alternator I'll redo the test and we'll see how it fairs.

9. DUNBROKUS

DUNBROKUS Rookie

Jul 10, 2014
    Oklahoma
    I am searching for the correct black paint code for my 1984 Countach, I have found a few but seem to all be different from one another, perhaps because Lamborghini used different blacks throughout the cars run? I was told by someone it was located under the front but if it was there, it is no longer.
    Any help getting me the correct code for 1984 black would be greatly appreciated. Redoing the rear wing as it had the dreaded tiny paint bubbles in the center seam and just wanting the repaint to match. Will post some pictures of the wings before and after hopefully soon, :)

10. ElvisNasty

ElvisNasty Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Elvis Jenkins Nasty
    If you find that paint code let me know. I have a Black 5000S also and Im sure I will need that info at some point.

11. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    selling a sport exhaust which was installed for 8t Km on a LP500s, the new owner doesn't want it, he prefers the original muffler.

Selling price is 1750 Euro plus transport charges, it includes the 4 mufflers and the 4 connection tubs to the headers, but not the headers/manifolds.

It's in quasi new condition, just removed from the car.

Lamborghini Countach - Sport Exhaust (1974-90) - QuickSilver Exhaust Systems

12. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    Eric sold the car?

13. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Yes, it's sold within Switzerland.

14. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
  15. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    ?? about what and to whom?
    For the exhaust I'll manage this for Eric.

16. em42

em42 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    Yes, I just bought it! Thanks a lot to Raymond for all the support and to Olivier who also gave me a lot of advice.

17. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    Oh very cool. Enjoy it!

18. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    Congrats on one of the best 5000s!
    You did not like the q.s. muffler?

19. em42

em42 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    Thank you very much! I am very happy to have found this wonderful example with such a nice history.
    The Quicksilver exhaust was very very loud and I prefer the original sound, so I didn't keep it. On top of that it is not road legal in Switzerland.

20. footsoldier

footsoldier Karting

Sep 18, 2009
    I've given my LP400S2 a good run over the weekend and it is running and sounding really well. However, red warning light just started flashing. It's on left below dash, just along from the blue (full beam) and green lights.

Although markings are worn, I'm pretty sure it has the battery symbol. Do I need to get alternator checked, or do I just hope it's gone out next time...?

(Don't have a manual in English, and can't find anything online)

21. jollygood

jollygood Formula 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Full Name:
    jollygood

I think you perhaps are low on brake fluid if it's flashing whilst driving.

22. footsoldier

footsoldier Karting

Sep 18, 2009
    #147 footsoldier, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. jollygood

jollygood Formula 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Full Name:
    jollygood

I am unsure whether this pictured light is for the brakes or for the alternator but I bet it's for the alternator.
    Hopefully someone else will chime in here.
    But normally a faulty alternator would not cause the red light to flash, rather be steady on to some degree.

Did you check the brake fluid level?
    Do you have another red lamp elsewhere?

24. paul328

paul328 Formula Junior

May 5, 2009
    Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Santoni
    All lamps on Italian old bangers are just for colour and entertainment. It looks pretty and got your attention. Beyond that nothing to worry about. The only gauges worth Looking at are the tachometer to make sure your getting the last ounce of performance out of your car, and the temp gauge to make sure you ain't cooking the engine. Beyond that everything else is just ' pretty to look at'

Paul

25. toecutter

toecutter Rookie

Aug 23, 2011
    Idaho, USA
    I have a 400S2 and the manual. It is the alternator light. Handbrake red warning light is on the other side.