2014 F1 SHELL BELGIAN GRAND PRIX: RACE *** SPOILERS *** | Page 23 | FerrariChat

2014 F1 SHELL BELGIAN GRAND PRIX: RACE *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Aug 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I suppose that in your assessment Mike Hawthorn wasn't a worthy WDC either then?

Moss won 4 GPs that year, compared to the man from Horsham who won just one, but collected many podiums on the way.

2. YAMVS6

YAMVS6 Karting

Jan 26, 2011
    ohio
    right..too bad about hammys flat tire

3. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

OK. I decide to go with the FIA. They awarded Keke the WDC because he met the sole criterion for winning a WDC--he had the most points. Accordingly, he won the championship that he deserved and he earned.

4. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    You're getting out there now. I did not blame Keke, nor did I ever say that he wasn't deserving. I only stated that he won the WDC by default, which the facts support.

5. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I agree with others that some WDCs ahod have an asterisk next to them, but it seems about half of them should have some sort of asterisk! Lots of circumstances around many a WDCs. Keke earned his not so different than that of many others with stupidly dominant cars etc. It's a rare occasion that genuinely the best driver on the field in the best car wins the WDC.

Alonso should have bagged more WDCs, and Schumacher in the late 90s for that matter. Obvious

6. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Jeez, but the winds of Rosberg hate are blowing hard and hot - now we have personal attacks on Keke directly related to a racing incident which Nico was involved in.

Low class stuff indeed - it even descends below Ham saying that Nico did not "want the championship as bad as he did, because Nico grew up in Monte Carlo"...

Utter BS - this race is over, move on to Monza.

7. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    To be more precise, Pironi didn´t lost his legs, although he needed years to fully recover.

About Keke and his championship, in the end this kind of arguments is quite irrelevant: in motor racing, as in most things in life, luck is a big part of the game and as Clint Eastwood said "deserve's got nothin' to do with it.''

8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    So, if his competitors are plagued by unreliability, are eliminated through accident, or worse killed, a WDC winner inherit the tittle "by default".

With this logic, I suppose that Ricciardo won the Belgian GP by default too; after all, he benefited from a racing incident between the 2 favourites. The facts support that version too.

9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

+1

10. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Honestly: yes, Ricciardo was lucky. Without problems in the Mercedes camp he wouldn´t had a chance.

Yet, he had to be there...

11. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Post of the day!

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Yet, Ricciardo won 3 times this year.

I don't know if LUCK has anything to do with it, but he was the best of the non-Mercedes 3 times so far, and his team mate benefiting from equal machinery, one expects, hasn't won once this year.

Is that also LUCK ?

13. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    You're all over the place. You can't run from the facts. Weak analogies and comparisons to support you position...See if you can stay on point. Paleese..........

14. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    + 1 !

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The fact is that Keke Rosberg was declared WDC .

And it's you who is running away from that fact !!

Better drop it now, before you look even sillier ...

16. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I don't think you can say he gave space in Canada, right?

I think the point he wanted to prove is that he could have crashed Lewis out in Hungary but backed off since Lewis had the position. This time he didn't back off while aggressively attacking.

I still don't think it was a smart move...if his car was truly faster (as he suggests) he should have bid his time until the pit stops or if LH made a mistake. By doing what he did, he risked not only crashing out his own teammate, but also crashing himself out. Had he done that, he would have left Spa TRAILING in the WDC by 14 points.

Not a phi beta kappa move, in my opinion. Yes, it worked out for him but I don't think it required the risk, ESPECIALLY on lap 2 of the race. What if LH's brakes failed? What if there was a safety car and right as Nico pitted?

Isn't he supposed to be the calm and calculating driver?

17. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Make a sentence out of this, a beating your wall head on your against..;)

18. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    A fact never in dispute.

19. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    Having lived in the UK for 35 years minus a few years in Montreal, as well as being an Iranian on top of that, I feel that the British media coverage has been extremely fair...on the beeb DC's reaction was a "racing incident"...he's been there, done that with Mika.

James Allen was certainly anti - Schuey at times when he was a commentator but it was well after the Schuey/Hill days.

No doubt NR instigated it but if you look hard enough, LH did mention that on the thursday before the race, NR was still going on about how team orders weren't applied in the previous race.

Bottom line - no doubt that Rosberg caused the accident, but that was more idiocy than a premeditated move .

Best, Sammy

20. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    of course, we'll never know for sure!!
    It worked for Nico on many levels.
    Lewis has said he doesn't trust Nico any more....that's good for Nico!
    Nico increased his lead in the WDC...that's good for Nico too.
    Lewis will now have worked out that if he and Nico clash on the track, it most likely helps Nico as the number of races left count down. If that makes Lewis in any way tentative, then that's going to be awesome for Nico, because one of Lewis' big plusses is his aggression.

So, it's good for Nico if Lewis now thinks that when things get tight, Nico will no longer jump out of the way, like he has in the past.

This year is fascinating on so many levels.

21. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    ^^^^Can't argue with the above - fascinating indeed.

22. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    From this standpoint yesterday was a monster victory for NR-he took more points home and showed he wont be ****ed with. LH needs to concentrate on the job at hand and avoid playing the mind games-be more like Ricci lol.

23. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    #573 moretti, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Fully agreed.

25. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Which is exactly why Nico didn't yeild and why Senna did the same to Prost and Prost to Lauda and so on ...

Pete