More Ferrari Litigiousness | FerrariChat

More Ferrari Litigiousness

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by thecheddar, Aug 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    A cease and desist for a wrap with some badges he put on his car as a joke?

Ferrari Sent Deadmau5 A Cease And Desist About His 'Purrari'

Stories like this make me think "McLaren. Yes, McLaren." Honestly, this is why I so hate Ferrari now. The cars are good and all, of course, but the company is run by absolute jerks who don't blink at treating customers terribly, cheating to get their way or simply being a bully.

2. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    The wrap and emblems are crappy mickey mouse and not even a Camaro or mustang owner would approve on their car. Go get a McLaren with its cheap interior if that's what your into.

3. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    #3 JCR, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Ferrari has to do this to protect its trademarks. I would bet the wordmark with the extended serif on the 'F' is legally protected. Standard procedure for corporations.

5. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Well,doesn't trade mark and trade dress all hinge on commercial enterprises and market/consumer confusion.

If this is not being offered for resell or for a commercial enterprise, where is the harm or "market confusion"?

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    well the car was out up for sale recently....maybe Ferrari waited for that to file.

I like what he did with the car, I think it's hilarious; and if he didn't change the logos/script I think Ferrari would have left it alone.

did Ferrari sue Jamaroquai (sp?) over their album cover years ago?

7. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    What a bunch of Lawyer/Corporate BS. It's DM's car and he should be able to do whatever he wants with it. No way this could be construed as some effort to profit from the Ferrari mark. Total crap!

Whenever I see or hear of stuff like this, it just makes me happier to see people mod their cars away from the mainstream according to their own taste, even if it's poor. I still applaud the move.

Steaming in Arizona...

Hannibal

8. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Hilarious, Ferrari needs a sense of humor

9. veloce92

veloce92 Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2007
    Chapel Hill
    Full Name:
    Aussie
    that is what makes it so funny.. it isn't on a Mustang or Camaro. It's on a Ferrari and it is making fun of chaps like you.

10. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Wonder if I could get a letter by dragging some truck nuts around behind my GTB? The snoborosi might just castrate me...

11. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    Well, it seems guys like you run Ferrari's legal department: It's a joke. It's parody. It's taking the snobbery of Ferrari ownership (ahem) and laughing at it.

And this is NOT protecting one's trademark. When an artist pokes fun of you, it's protected speech. Ferrari doesn't respect anyone even using or modifying their cars in a way they don't approve, much less free speech. That, friends, is 100% B***s***.

12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Even of legally they could be right, it's a pretty stupid fight and a catastrophic PR move (read comments on Facebook where this story broke 5h ago).

13. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    I agree that it falls under parody... I don't see how Ferrari has a case here at all, unless they also realize the very same thing and are going through motions in order to make it look like they're aggressively attempting to protect their trademark - which as someone else pointed out earlier, they are obligated to do in order to maintain it.

14. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Probably, so what will become of all those unsold new Ferraris sitting on dealers' lots... ;)

15. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    They are obligated to maintain it. Standard practice for companies with valuable trademarks.

16. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Also wonder if Ferrari SpA knew any of the details of the case or just signed off on a legal bill for 'copyright protection'??? Lawyers will be lawyers...

17. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If you were the CEO of Ferrari, would you allow this?

18. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #18 toggie, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    It is an interesting question.

Historically, Ferrari has been concerned mostly with the unauthorized use of:
    - the Cavallino (horse).
    - the Ferrari brand name.
    - the Ferrari font (with the long line over the letters).
    - the Ferrari nose badge (yellow rectangle with Cavallino in it with red-white-green Italian colors on top).
    - the Scuderia Ferrari (SF) badge (usually placed on the front fender).
    - and any replica car that tries to look like one of its models

In this situation, the only one of the above items that seems to apply is the use of the Ferrari font for the "Purrari" badging on the car.
    The Ferrari font is used to spell "Purrari" on both the chrome logo on the back and in the yellow rectangle logo.

The only other thing that adds to the situation is the customization was done on a 458 Spider which is still being sold as a new car by Ferrari. I'm not a lawyer, but I think that helps Ferrari with the "causing confusion in the marketplace" aspect of protecting their IP rights.

19. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I don't understand why there is even any question... Of course Ferrari was right to serve Deadmau5.

He took a car of theirs.. put some ugly wrap on it. And then changed the logos with a font that is similar to Ferrari's font. So it was a recognizable Ferrari with branding on it that was changed to "Purrari". Notice Ferrari didn't have any problem with it UNTIL he tried to sell it. And he was then selling a product that he rebranded into something else. Clearly creating confusion in the marketplace. Cut and dried.

Of course they sent him a letter. Why wouldn't they?

20. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave

Funny enough, I think Deadmau5 sold this to get a McLaren.

21. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Ferrari should have just bought the car back from him and told him to take a hike. Tell him to go purchase a Tesla or prius and wrap it.

22. blue_myriddn

blue_myriddn Karting

Feb 8, 2012
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    #22 blue_myriddn, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Funny, that style used to be quite popular ages ago, but I suppose Ferrari really has corned the market on its basic use. Here's an old sign from some 20's fan belts.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    They should have just used their brain and understood there was no malice on Deadmaus's part. He clearly has no intention on starting a Purrari brand. Why feed lawyers when you can just be smart and understand that it starts and ends as a joke?

24. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Because... the next guy who uses Ferrari's font in his automotive branding can just point to the "Purrari" branding and argue that Ferrari doesn't own the long-serifed font. A cease and desist letter is cheap; seeing any part of the Ferrari brand fall into the public domain is costly, from an intellectual property perspective.

Apple and Coca Cola are equally or maybe more aggressive in enforcing their trademarks.

Even if no malice is intended and you're just joking around, appropriating some company's trademark is a no-no.

25. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    But his car doesn't have the F...it just has a looooong P :p