Hamilton vs. Rosberg - the educated (?) debate | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Hamilton vs. Rosberg - the educated (?) debate

Discussion in 'F1' started by maulaf, Aug 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    This post belongs to the Spa-race thread and has no value here. The other two boys above went off focus but at least in a personal intercourse. But please don't use them as an example. Discuss punishment or fault in the appropriate thread, if you read through this one it is not about debating that, but rather motives and consequences.

2. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Refer to the word highlighted in bold. That is what makes my statement fact. If you're still having trouble following the nuances of argument then I cannot help you.

Another straw man argument from you. What id like you to believe
    Is laid out clearly in my above post.

Once again I'm dealing in facts and you're dealing in hypotheticals. I think it's clear which argument is stronger.

3. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    People were linking articles in here discussing the same. Tell that to them. I merely responded. But for good measure I'll add my post to the race thread too

4. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    They're facts to you but opinion to me. In my view, you know about as much as I do. Nothing.

5. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    jeeez... dude. Your story about legal background was a bluff, wasn't it?
    Please don't drag down the next thread with your ill-measured comments. Please please we all repeatedly ask you to rethink what you post. You clearly think we are the ones that are stubbornly stupid and learn-resistant. Why don't you move on then and find a board where people are not so brainless as all of us here. Our low level of communication and debate clearly doesn't do you justice.

6. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #106 kraftwerk, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    LOL, Me NO KNOW! < Brit way of saying it.
    I'am envisaging this :
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Is such a thing even possible lol?

A bluff? Who needs to lie on the internet? I have a law degree. Graduated not too long ago. I don't work in law. Oh gosh putting words in my mouth I see. You all like to make out I'm the villain. I've actually learnt a lot about f1 from these boards. Never said anyone is stupid ever. It's just aircon he seems to be able to take the odd "strongly worded" post. He will live to fight another day. He's not a cry baby like some of you. Yes you've made your dislike of me clear, as have numerous others who want me off these boards. Maybe I will move along soon, who knows. Any disagreement is so frowned upon on here. How sad.

8. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    And there you are wrong, wrong and wrong. You call us haters, you call us fans of someone ells you call us what we want if we don't agree. You call drivers things you feel, you have no respect for language and appropriate use thereof. You claim about facts where any person with a hint of legal thinking would start crying. It is the odd ones here that speak out and confront you, it is rather upon us to applaud those, at least that is how I feel.
    And ontop you make every thread yours and push it to suit your personal agenda. You do not respect the point for which threads are created. You do not respect your fellow members here. Please stop playing the victim when critiziced.

Now before you respond go to your bookshelf and read up about 'facts'. Good luck.

9. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Oh good...I thought only I'd picked up on all that.

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I see a flaw in this whole ''ignore function'' business.

:(

11. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It works better if you are subscribed...

12. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I've never done it, but I know what the flaw is.

I've never found anyone that annoying, and I hate missing out on things :)

13. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Since you asked...

"A fact (derived from the Latin factum, see below) is something that has really occurred or is actually the case. The usual test for a statement of fact is verifiability, that is, whether it can be demonstrated to correspond to experience. "

Am I missing something here? Ordinary usage? Or are we preparing for trial here...on an Internet forum discussing f1.

Races started in comparable grid position: verifiable
    Finished: verifiable
    Documented to be 'clean' or trouble free: verifiable
    Winner: verifiable

But since ordinary usage isn't important and we are preparing for trial on an Internet forum I will, from this moment foward, remove all ambiguous and undefined terms out of my statements. I mean let's be picky...because what the hell does "comparable grid position" mean? What defines a "clean weekend"? If hamilton doesn't shower is it still a clean weekend? (With some of the racism bandied about earlier one user was tantamount to insinuating something similar).

Sarcasm aside...

As to the rest of your message; fair comment. When I read what you've said it does sound an awful lot like me. I gathered by your thread title with the "(educated)" bit that you probably didn't want me posting in here so limited it to one or two.

Anyway, I would like to sincerely apologise for my combative attitude and trying to thrash out arguments in response to every little statement. It doesn't bode well to free flowing discussion at all and probably makes for a toxic environment for all of you guys who click on a thread and want to see various opinions but instead see me block quoting everyone nitpicking their arguments/opinions. The function of this forum is discussion after all. No point me trying to convert everyone to my view because it never works.

From now on I will state my opinion once on matters as they arise and leave it at that. I am young and at first I thought everyone was uptight for getting upset when I was argumentative. Now I realise just a few of you are uptight and most just want a place to chill and voice opinions.

So yes point noted. I agree with you.

14. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You are very quick to play the racist card, aren't you?

You know absolutely nothing about me, my origins, my family, my friends or my children's ethnicity, and immediately you think I am racist...

15. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    I don't think you're racist man. I think your statement was racist, that's all. I'm sure you are a great guy :)

16. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Not liking rapper type isn't a racist statement.

Not liking earing studs on a man isn't a racist statement.

Not liking tattoos isn't a racist statement.

17. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Ignore really does remain your friend..... He'll move on if we don't quote or bite on his nonsense.

18. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Kids these days (and people my age) don't actually understand what racism is and just raise the card. Same as the ''ooh I'm offended''. It's mostly played because they think it gives them some sort of right, but they're just whinging.

19. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    william you're defensive and lack logic to your responses. Just my subjective opinion.

20. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    Ok, we don't need to agree or disagree. Toil will attempt to play according to how the chat workd and we can call it a break and get back to discuss F1 : )

Mercedes F1 made Ros apologize to Lewis. My boss always said rather apologize afterwards than never get somewhere by trying to satisfy everyone...
    Apparently they will be allowed to keep racing one another! I would be astonished if they wouldn't clash again this season!

21. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Oh lord here we go... I was trying to respect the ops request and solely discuss the subject of the thread but now even my personal hate train have jumped on board.

For reference here is the statement you made:

"
    Really?

So, a half-cast British driver from Grenada sporting massive earing studs and covered on tattoos, speaking like he was a gangster rapper is better to represent an iconic German luxury brand like Mercedes than a handsome clean cut well spoken German young man from a good family?

Since when?"

Racism doesn't have to be as overt as "i hate blacks" despite what mr Bas Jacksi would probably have you believe (don't wanna put words in his mouth). The racism lies in your choice of words. The positive connotations associated with Rosberg of "handsome/clean cut/well spoken/young/from a good family" counter posed against the negative connotations you associate with Hamilton is where your racism lies. Not only are your decriptions of hamilton grossly misrepresented (he speaks like a rapper does he?) but they seek to perpetuate racial and cultural stereotypes through their description. After all the first thing that comes out of your mouth is that he is a "half caste" before carrying on wih your tirade. Truth is hamilton is also handsome, clean cut and from a good family and his choice of attire doesn't mean jack****. Your post also smacks of racist rhetoric because it underlies many racial assumptions. I cbf and need to go to sleep think I'm repeating myself.

Not trying to create an argument but if you said that in this day an age in public in front of a black man you'd be lucky to get away without your head being knocked off.

Any way, feel free to put me on ignore as Ian mentions (about ten times in every thread - he's very proud of the fact he has me on ignore you know). Apparently it will make me stop posting because apparently I'm just after a reaction. It's actually easier for me that way because then I can quote him and elucidate the idiocy of his anti hamilton ramblings without then getting into a back and forth. Same with bas and whoever else...

If you prefer the conciliatory approach then I think you're probably a great guy who didn't mean to be racist but in my opinion came off that way with that comment. I mean all this in the nicest possible way and I'm not trying to offend you by calling you out.

Good day :)

22. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Awesome! This gets better & better! Looks like neither are about to back down now;

I suspect there's not going to be a lot of data sharing going on. ;)

I may die laughing if Smiley Boy nicks it from them! :)

Cheers,
    Ian

23. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Yep!

And some were saying this is the most boring season in forever!

I guess kudos are due to Merc if what they're saying about continuing to let them race is true.

Maybe trying to dig themselves out of the whole PR nightmare they created for themselves?

Cheers,
    Ian

24. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I really can't believe this topic will not die.

I can't take anyone's opinion seriously when it involves critiquing Hamilton's ear rings, tattoos, his clothing and his speech. And for anyone claiming or eluding to hamilton speaking like a "gangsta".....are you ****ing kidding me?

Have you ever even heard actual gangsta speak or known anyone that are actually in gangs? Because you (generic you) obviously have no clue what you're talking about. And again making any opinion based on his appearance is laughable. I'm sure people criticized James Hunt for his partying and long hair.

25. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well I can, as some see what Nico did in a completely different light as others do, depending on what side of fence they sit on.

I totally agree with what you say, and that is somewhat a juxtaposition to the title of the thread, but it is what it is, Hamilton can bring out the worst in some people for some reason...I have my reasons put I'll keep stum.