Mangusta thread | Page 43 | FerrariChat

Mangusta thread

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Mang, Jan 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. testamon

testamon Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mike O
    $195K + commission US dollars!

2. Anthony bentley

Anthony bentley Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Anthony Bentley
    What auction was the blue car in I have been searching the Interweb for it.

3. 1turbobrick

1turbobrick Karting

Nov 29, 2011
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Dale W
  4. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    #1054 velocetwo, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    Can't be. They are not built like a Ferrari. There is no steel in the hatches (after the first 3or4)The panels are welded up annealed 6061.

6. testamon

testamon Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mike O
    If you are referring to the corrosion in the rear wings of the blue car, indeed there is a steel frame around which the aluminium skin is formed for strength and shape. The electrolysis is setup where the differing metals touch and over time corrosion sets up. To repair the rear hatches properly involves taking the skins off and repairing the metal frame completely sealing the metal with paint and then re-skinning the hatch. Then comes the time consuming job of getting the hatches aligned and correctly gapped with all the variables that come into play on a Goose!

7. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    $352K - $412k in the US.

8. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Very underwhelming and well used for that price. At 96 thousand miles you know the important parts were working. Are the rims stock?

9. Anthony bentley

Anthony bentley Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Anthony Bentley
    #1060 Anthony bentley, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    And still work, I was driving it just the other day, it is on test today with Octane magazine will be on the cover of the next issue. It's a 2 owner car with history from day 1 (it's delivery), it was with its first owner until the late 80's with "all the work performed by one garage, unless specified" and hand written in a drivers journal, the sort of stuff you rarely see. Loved all of its life never left to languish in a barn. Wheels are original and have been diamond cut and polished.

10. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    Yes, those are the original wheels, but they have been polished. Once you do that it's a huge job to keep them looking right, so in order to simplify the tedious upkeep polishing the owner painted out the sides of the wheel spokes in black. My car's previous owner had polished its wheels and they were a nightmare to maintain. A quality powder coat job solved all that.

11. Mark Charlton

Mark Charlton Karting

Jul 17, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Having some experience in these cars, I would say that this one is every bit as nice as the ones that have crossed the block recently, and much nicer than some. The car appears very clean and solid with only a few anomalies. Unusual non-original holes on the rear bodywork (under the bumpers) being the biggest issue. The rest — a polished ZF, incorrect valve covers, remote oil filter and a few other "upgrades" made to the car hardly spoil what is otherwise a very nice car. Yes, it appears to have been both repainted AND re-trimmed — but very nicely, and now with a patina of gentle usage (far from the 96K mileage covered).

It would be very easy to fit some Ford valve covers (with proper DeTomaso castings), reverse some of the small mods done and, as Daryl states, powder-coat the wheels. I believe this car will likely reach the same or greater hammer price as the recent "high" sales. The astute buyer will almost certainly see a significant profit in his five-months of ownership.

Mark

12. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
  13. Mark Charlton

Mark Charlton Karting

Jul 17, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    Full Name:
    Mark
  14. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
  15. muttsjet

muttsjet Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    #1066 muttsjet, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not sure exactly where it occurred back in 69, but my 69 Goose was modified to accommodate a 69 Boss 302 motor. I pulled the motor about 5 years ago and integrated a Weber intake system which works fine (albeit I don't have quite the right cam installed).

However, although the drivers side original exhaust manifold is a good fit, the modified pass exhaust "frankenfold" built to fit around the frame and the shift linkage is a mess.

Has anyone built/installed custom headers in a Goose (ideally with a Boss 302 installed). Any pics of fit would be greatly appreciated.

Mark
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    #1067 DenisC, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  17. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Does anyone know what the Mangusta at Historics at Brooklands hammered at yesterday?

18. Mark Charlton

Mark Charlton Karting

Jul 17, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It is listed as a no sale but I don't know what the bidding went up to.

19. Andrewo

Andrewo Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2011
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I wrote the description on the car and I did not have the chance to see it in person until the auction. The owner misrepresented the car to me and told me that the body was leaded where necessary and that no body filler was used. He also failed to mention the broken windshield until after the catalogue deadline, the huge amounts of corrosion on the car, the tons of body filler, and that the paint job that was peeling off. The addendum was added when the car showed up at the auction and we saw that it was not how it was initially described.

20. SimonMorris

SimonMorris Rookie

Jun 20, 2013
    In Sterling 204,000

21. puebla

puebla Karting

May 31, 2007
    Doug Blair, co-author with Marc Sonnery of the long-delayed Mangusta book to be published by Eau Rouge Publishing, recently informed me that the new, anticipated publication date is sometime early in 2015. He wrote that it "keeps growing".

22. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    and Alfa is going to sell sports cars in the USA

23. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
  24. Long Beach Pride

Mar 13, 2014
    Long Beach Ca
    Full Name:
    Alfred E. Neumen
    Holy Crap, wonder how much the dude who owns the car in the first pics spent on Flitz to keep all that metal shiny?