Service Work: Ferrari Dealership vs Private | FerrariChat

Service Work: Ferrari Dealership vs Private

Discussion in '360/430' started by andrews1958, Sep 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andrews1958

andrews1958 Karting

Apr 29, 2013
    Maine / Namibia
    What are the pros and cons for using a certified Ferrari dealership to do service work on you Ferrari versus a very experienced,well known highly recommended private Ferrari shop?

Which would you use why? Past experience?

2. futureferraribuyer

futureferraribuyer Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2010
    Stopped using authorized dealer after having so many problems with Lexus which supposedly has one of the best service departments. Basically you have no idea who is doing the work and whether he or she cares about doing it right.

The manager of the local Ferrari dealer has a great reputation but still he does not do the actual work. Independent could be same or even worse - a shop in North San Diego that I dealt with is run but someone who is clueless and doesn't care which makes me wonder how they even stay in business.

I would rather deal directly with the owner for anything including service. The key is to find someone who actually does the work and not just collect the money. I finally did - hopefully you have someone similar in your area.

3. Phil.c

Phil.c Karting

I have alway had the work done on my cars by Ferrari, I have also had things go wrong but at least by using a main dealer you have more chance of them being corrected me thinks.

One time, the rear defused unit was removed for a new exhaust to be fitted, it was propped up against a wall and the thin shelf part, the part that shows just below the number plate was scratched, it was later re-sprayed by Ferrari.

Another time, after a service the car was washed with a power jet! The water got under a tiny stone chip below the bonnet and blew a piece of lacquer off about half an inch in diameter, the front was later re-sprayed by Ferrari.

Another time, work was carried out in the bonnet compartment and was left in a very dirty condition, after receiving the car back home, Ferrari were contacted, the manager was disgusted with the situation and offered to send someone to clean the area, the same happened when on another service with a different Ferrari dealer, the car drivers seat (crema) was dirty, turned out to be the transporter guys dirty trousers, Ferrari sent a guy to to clean it!

Would this happen privately?

Phil

4. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I do most of my own work and bring in a couple of independents as needed.

The only time I have ever had a problem with a car is when I let the Ferrari dealer touch it.

Not only did they not want to make good, they went out of their way to worm out of it.

5. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    With the dealership, you are basically a number. And, just because the dealership boasts that they have factory trained mechanics in their shop does not mean that they are the ones who will be working on your car. They still have the minimum wage monkeys who will strip the threads out of your oil drain plug (ask me know I know this).
    With an independent, you can develop a rapport with the owner, which will reap many long term benefits.

6. futureferraribuyer

futureferraribuyer Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2010
    Yes, scary taking your car to the dealer because not everyone will care for it like you would. It's good that your dealer was willing to make things right - my experience has been less positive (albeit with not Ferrari but I just don't want to take a chance).

I had a PPI done by a well regarded local independent who jacked up the car without even looking at where the jack was going. Needless to say I never went back. My current independent, Eugenio is super careful and meticulous and I know that everything will be done correctly and carefully if not by him then under his watchful eye.

7. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I think that excellent mechanics earn their reputation. This is good for us since we can ask around to find out who is worth your time and who is worthy of touching your baby. Use the region section to get acquainted with the names.

8. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    +1

There are good and bad dealers and good/bad independents. When I first got my TR, the guy I bought it from recommended an independent. He was an absolute flake, and wanted to use a stamped-steel socket from Tractor Supply to remove the center-lugs.

I do almost all my own work, but the couple of times I took mine in the dealer treated me with utmost respect and did a great job. And gives me great advice.

9. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I have had a great experience with my local dealer's service department. I always felt that I was well taken care of. It can sometimes take a while to get in because they are very busy, but I have been very satisfied with their work.

10. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I love our local dealer but I have found an independent for less than half the cost. He is an owner as well.

He wants to attract more business his way so he tries even harder to do a good job. I'm very pleased.

11. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    blackbolt, who do you bring your car to?

12. Phil.c

Phil.c Karting

Don't forget that main dealers have a franchise to protect, if things don't go well for you, a letter or phonecall to Ferrari's head office soon corrects things, this happened when I owned a Porsche Carrera 4.

13. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    #1 Reason, wherever you build the strongest personal relationship that feels most comfortable to you.

I have worked on both sides over the almost 30 years of being in this industry and can tell you , as others have and will, that you can find a story to support your opinion either way.

Dealerships in General

1. Factory Support - We have it.
    2. Factory Training -
    3. Special Tools
    4. Accountability - IF something were to go wrong
    5. Service Departments for Ferrari are usually small, so you CAN be introduced to the person that is actually working with your Ferrari.
    6. Developes legitimate service history for years to come
    7. Parts availability - Dircect line w. Factory and/or orginal producer of componant

Independant in General:

1. Price - They usually have lower overhead , therefore the ability to charge less
    2. Flexibility - usually being a smaller shop, allows them to do things outside the norm, faster.
    3. Not accountable to the factory, so that can do things that the Dealership cannot.
    4. Direct interaction with the owner, usually hands on, more likely on a day to day basis
    5. Ability to use aftermarket parts options more easily

I am sure there are more, but I need to get to work, should be an interesting thread!

S

14. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    Who at Scottsdale Ferrari was your service manager as this is really surprising.

I called Alex Treviso about a prospective purchase from his repeat client and inquired about the exhaust manifold issue on the car. He personally told me that the 360/430 exhaust header problem is blown out of proportion and rarely happens. I countered by relaying the numerous FerrariChat posts I've read and he refuted that I should not believe what I read in all the forums.

15. hmfic1

hmfic1 Karting

Aug 15, 2011
    Scottsdale
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I have used Alex for several years, have never had a problem with is work, he is honest, and fair. I, Like Alex believe alot of what is on this forum can be blown out of perportion. A good independent can be your best friend. Not to say Dealers are not good also, but they seem to want to do more then might really need to be done.

16. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have yet to see this actually work with Ferrari.

17. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Dealership = 100 examples per year International Forum = 1000 examples per year

While it happens, the broader the example pool = " The more it happens "

I personally have only seen 2 examples this year of it happening. I HAVE had half a dozen or more come in expecting it , but finding out there was no issue.

Or..... an independent may do less than is accutally needed in order to fit a clients budget requirements. ( Been there / Done that ) Not always, just sayin'

When I worked on the other side, I cannot tell you how many times I was asked " Can I get away with doing less than a full service for now... " and I was more than happy to do an oil change. I would always provide them with a complete estimate of actual needs, so they were at least informed.

Because more times than not, there is more to the story that is being let on to... < wink >

But I'm with you, if a situation warrants it, and we made a mistake, why wouldn't I make it right??

S

18. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I think that the issue I'm having will dictate where I bring the car. For the most part, I go independent. Warranty obviously goes to the dealer. I think I've had the best experiences with the private shops

19. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I wish my indie mechanic had an SD as I would use him for everything. As it is he diagnosed a leaking RM oil seal and I went straight to the dealer from his shop. What I understand is that having the annual done at the dealer who has the SD3 will allow them to adjust and reset the F1 system and change the fluid as mine has probably never been changed. I may have to break down and take it in for the next annual.
    Does anyone know what they check on the F1 system and what needs adjusting?
    Thanks
    Alan

20. 4RE Guy

4RE Guy Karting

Aug 3, 2008
    integrity is a big part in a decision to use an independent or dealership for your repairs. of course you need to feel comfortable that your repairs are done correctly and for a fair price also.
    with the costs of Ferraris`s and Maserati's today i find it a little bit odd that someone with a vehicle of this caliber that wants to skimp on price by going to an independent repair facility.
    the "pro`s" out weigh the "cons" by a long shot by using a dealership.
    I will just list a few, one being insurance ,if something goes horribly wrong either during repairs,test driving or facility if your vehicle is damaged heavily .do you think a small independent is going to be able to stand behind a large or total loss of your car>? like a dealership could?
    second being specialized training on your vehicle ,especially new models . repair personal are off to training many times a year for new models and refreshers on older items and vehicles ,and keep abreast of many many items and issues while talking to the other personnel while attending training.
    third, tooling and test equipment is paramount in repairing anyone's Ferrari or Maserati (contrary to some on this forum) . dealerships have the latest and greatest and are trained on how to use them.
    it just seems odd to me that you (try) to save a few dollars cutting corners on choosing a facility for vehicles of this caliber. i would not even do that on my normal much less expensive units, let alone these cars.
    a tip from me if your on the fence( on where to go) is to go to your dealership and poke around and ask question and meet the people. i would venture to say that i know what your selection would be after you meet,talk to, and see the facility your vehicle with be being repaired at...in comparison to an independent

my 2 cents............ flame away

21. txitalia

txitalia Formula Junior

May 5, 2013
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Fantastic discussion. Happy to read. After several years with several cars on both sides of the equation, I started my own shop. Plays right into my OCD. At my shop, Obsessive Compulsive is not considered a disorder, but a TALENT!