Reputable independent mechanic, Seattle area | FerrariChat

Reputable independent mechanic, Seattle area

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by whatheheck, Sep 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Asking if anyone has any recommendations for an independent Ferrari mechanic around Seattle are that has an SD2/SD3? Willing to drive as far north as Vancouver, Canada and as far south as Portland.

I have a 2003 Ferrari 360 Spider and I will need a new clutch soon.

Ferrari of Seattle quoted me between $8K - $12K.
    Ron Tonkin Gran Turismo of Portland quoted me $7K - $11K.

And yes I am a FCA member so I will get the 10% discount.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

2. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005
    Carlo at Alfa of Tacoma is a good as they come, but I'm not sure if he works on the 360. He did my PPI when I bought a 550 from Ferrari of Seattle. Top notch guy, and tech.

3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for the info. I called Alfa of Tacoma a month ago and finally talked to Carlo. He said they can replaced a clutch on a 360 but they dont own an SD2 or SD3 computer to reset and fine tune all the settings...........

Dan

4. GyllesSmyth

GyllesSmyth Karting

Apr 3, 2013
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    CGS
    Did Carlo mention anything about cost? I'm wondering if it wouldn't be worthwhile to have it replaced at Alfa of Tacoma, and then visit FoS for an hour of computer time for the fine tuning.

I'm surprised that AoT still hasn't invested in an SD machine. It seems like a lot of the pre-F355 generation owners absolutely swear by Carlo's work and at $8K to $12K for a 360 clutch FoS is definitely leaving themselves open to price competition ... between the 360s, F430s, and Californias I see running around that an SD would allow him to service, I would think the computer could pay for itself pretty quickly.

5. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Carlo didnt mention anything about estimated costs when I talked to him. All he said to me was he wont be able to do a clutch replacement on a 360 as he doesnt own an SD2 computer.....

I too think he should invest in one as it will be a worthy investment as dealership charges premium....

I got clutch replacement quotes both from FoS and Ron Tonkin of Portland and they are only about $1,500.00 difference......So still debating on whether its worth going to Ron Tonkin in Portland as I live in Everett factoring in adjustments when necessary and warranty issues.....

Dan

6. GyllesSmyth

GyllesSmyth Karting

Apr 3, 2013
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    CGS

Maybe we (relatively) local 360/F430/California/etc. owners should take up a collection and buy an SD2 for AoT in exchange for lifetime 50% off services and maintenance ...

I'll inquire with Kirkland Maserati as to whether they have an SD and can work on a 360 Spider and post here once I receive a response.

7. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I wouldn't let KM touch my car with a 10' pole, I bought my Abarth from their Fiat franchise and it was a terrible experience, I'm still puzzled as to why Maserati would let such a shady business be associated with their name...

I would use FoS over RTGT, they're local, they have great techs and they will stand behind their work. Not worth the $1k for the hassle of going to Portland for warranty issues etc.

pdxjim488 likes this.
  8. GyllesSmyth

GyllesSmyth Karting

Apr 3, 2013
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    CGS

Good to know. I know there's another shop here on the Eastside (which shall remain nameless) that will service a 360 Spider, but I hold a similar opinion of them and thus would never recommend.

I've never used the services of RTGT, but have had great experience with FoS with regard to the quality of their work. It's just tough to see a quote of $8K to $12K for a job that most in the 360/F430 section usually cite their local F-car dealerships charging $5K to $7K. It would be nice if one of these days Cantrell, AoT, or another quality independent picked up an SD machine to introduce some competition in the market.

9. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for all the info.

Based on what I read here a reputable indy can replace a clutch around $6K tops.

10. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for the info about KM.

I agree, for $1,500.00 difference its not worth my time to drive to Portland and fly back, then drive there 3 hours each way if any warranty issues arise.

One thing I learned, there is not much difference when it comes to parts. A few bucks here and there comparing dealer vs. indy mechanic. Its the labor hours that has huge difference.

I will most likely just take my car to FoS. They have been servicing my car since the day I owned it and although they charge premium they have always done a great job and has treated me really really well.

Dan

11. GyllesSmyth

GyllesSmyth Karting

Apr 3, 2013
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    CGS

What surprises me, though, is that some in the 360/F430 section seem to be indicating that their local dealer is at ~$6K for the clutch replacement and independents less than that.

With an F1 clutch replacement kit running $2,700 at Ricambi, it seems like a pretty high premium, but then again, they have a captive audience ...

12. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Talk with Craig at the Jag Shop (he's a member here-- Monza456). He does a lot of work on early 2000-era Ferraris.

13. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    With FOS you get the top Ferrari wrench in the USA, Mark Glenwood, and certainty that the job will be done correctly because they have the correct factory tools/equipment to perform it.
    That is worth a lot; do it once and do it right.

While an independent can place a clutch in the car they can not set the PIS (Poing of Initial Slippage) without an SD3 which is the critical parameter that needs to be set for the clutch to operate correctly.

14. surfwolf

surfwolf Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2012
    Bethany, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael Wolfe
    I have used Craig for over 2 years & he performed my engine out major on my 1995 348 Spider last May. Craig used to be a master Ferrari mechanic for RTGT & then personally cared for Ron T Sr.'s 10+ Ferrari garage. Give him a call & see if he has the computer set-up needed for the 360 F1 clutch settings. Craig has been very good to work with & when a seal failed 2 weeks after my major, everything was repaired/replaced without any issues (no cost to me!).

15. GyllesSmyth

GyllesSmyth Karting

Apr 3, 2013
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    CGS

Just so there's no confusion, I agree with you on the technical competence of FoS; I've had a few things fixed there (as has Dan, per his comments here and elsewhere) and in my experience their work has been nothing short of outstanding. My 360 definitely left there a much better car than it arrived.

In this case, given the cost of parts involved, it's just that $8K to $12K for a clutch replacement seems high, even relative to other dealer prices cited in the 360/430 section.

Cheers.

16. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I know, big disparity with quotes from different dealership for a clutch job as posted in various threads here.

I have detailed quotes from both Ron Tonkin and FoS.

Basic clutch job from Ron Tonkin $6,2326.00
    Basic clutch job from FoS $8,100.00.

That's not replacing the flywheel (turn flywheel only. New flywheel is $1,600.00) and not replacing clutch position sensor (new clutch pos sensor is another $1,235.00).

Whew, not cheap...

Dan

17. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for the info. I will contact Craig soon.

Dan

18. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Yes I know Mark Glenwood. I was with him when he test drove my car to check the clutch popping out of gear. He reset my PIS and full gear throws during the test drive. Great guy he is.
    I also know Eric the service manager.

Like I said, I've taken my car there and they've done excellent work. So far they've replaced both of my left and right fuel pumps, all 4 roll over valves, front bonnet lock replacement, all fluid flush, etc.
    6 months of ownership and I spent almost $10K already on maintenance and repairs.

I am firm believer on doing things right the first time. Just trying to see if there are other options out there as after I get done with the clutch, my first year of ownership and I am down almost $20K already. Just trying to see what other less expensive options are out there for clutch replacement.

I budgeted $15K for 1st year of ownership and after clutch replacement I am already at negative $5K as I would have spent almost $20K already.

Dan

19. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for the great info.

Where is Craig's shop and would you happen to have contact info for him?

Dan

20. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Exactly my point. I know FoS does excellent work but $8K to $12K is fairly high. Just trying to see if there are other options out there that can get the same job done, excellent work done for a more reasonable price.

Dan

21. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Does the work on my 355, I have seen 360 there on more than one occasion.
    Jagshop

22. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks Tom!

I will contact Craig soon.

Dan

23. 12659

12659 Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2005
    Seattle WA. USA
    Full Name:
    mark
    The Jag Shop is in Portland, no sales tax either.

24. GyllesSmyth

GyllesSmyth Karting

Apr 3, 2013
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    CGS
  25. surfwolf

surfwolf Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2012
    Bethany, OR
    Full Name: