308 wheel touch up paint | FerrariChat

308 wheel touch up paint

Discussion in '308/328' started by flashman, Oct 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    Does anyone make a touch up paint (spray can) that matches the color on the 308's mag wheels? Need to cover a few small scratches.

2. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Paintscratch.com

Fer101

3. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I could not get Fer101 to come up on the site.

4. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    I was able to contact them yesterday, and in fact, they do have a FER 101,it is Argento Metalic 101. At least, that is what what the reply to to my email was. I will call them tomorrow and try to get the exact color code from them and place an order. Will let you know what I find out.
    Thank's to Stu for the connection.
    WilliamR

5. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Thank you William, my wheels are in great shape but the idea of having some touch up paint seems like a good one.

6. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I might be pointing out "the bleedin' obvious" here, but if you get the paint and want to test the colour match first, do it on the inner face of the rim where it wont be seen on the car.

7. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    Not to worry Phill, before I would put any paint on, I would check the color match. Thanks for the advice though, much appreciated.
    Wm.

8. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Sometimes it's hard to tell how good the colour match really is until it's actually on the car/wheel (and silver paint can be a right bugger to match up!).

A guy at work did a DIY repair on one of his alloy wheels that he'd curbed and he did a nice job of the repair but, having been sold "the correct shade of silver" for his wheels, when I saw the car it was immediately obvious that it was a shade too dark compared to the other wheels.

When I pointed it out to him he said: "I know! - I was hoping it wasn't that noticeable!"

I asked him why he hadn't tried the paint on the inside of the wheel, to which he replied: "Yeah, that might have been a better idea!".

After a week he ended up painting the other three wheels to match the first restored wheel (something he was hoping to not have to do, thereby tempting fate obviously!).

When asked why he didn't just get another can of silver in the next shade up and repaint the one wheel again, he said: "I'd rather spend a weekend painting the other wheels than spend more money on a can of paint that still might be wrong!"

9. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Maybe I didn't follow this closely enough. You need to repaint all four (or five) wheels. FER 101 is the correct paint but your paint has likely faded. If you do not repaint all four, the difference will show.

I had a local company do it for $150/wheel. I located the paint/color for them.

10. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    It works just as well if you merely paint the two on the same side of the car since your tires are most likely directionally oriented anyway and won't be rotated to the opposite side of the car ;)

11. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    Well, I tried to contact Paintscratch again, and they say that there is no code for 308 wheel paint. They have no Fer101 in their files, and want me to research the color code with local auto paint stores. So much for these guy's. Does anyone know where touchup paint can be had for our wheels? It's not like I have to repaint the entire wheel, I only want to touch up a couple of small scratches.

12. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Stick with them, they are the best. No one is going to have a color for "wheel paint."

Check the board we know it is FER 101. Check the board for FER 101 and find a corresponding year and model (I'll give you a hint, it's just Ferrari's version of silver). Basically the color of any silver Ferrari. Try the year your car was built.

Go to paint scratch website, put that make and model in, select the color that looks like silver and you are done.

Cheers,

Ken

13. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Here it is from 1981:

Color Code: 101

Argento Metallic

14. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    Thank's, I will give it a try.
    Wm.R

15. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    I just received the touchup paint from paintscratch and the color match is perfect! I ordered the 1oz bottle and it was more than enough to cover the small scratches I had. You would never know that they were ever there. The paint code is: 1981 Ferrari 66-Argento M 101. It really is a perfect wheel match.

16. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Yep. Ferrari is a simple company. Why use a different color for wheels when can use one of your stock body colors: Silver?

17. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    This is great news. Thank you for figuring this out.

I touched up a few spots on my wheels earlier this year and custom mixed the color:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328/458881-308-qv-16-wheel-touch-up-paint.html

18. Carbuilder

Carbuilder Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
  19. Yo328

Yo328 Karting

Jul 26, 2014
    Brentwood CA
    Full Name:
    Yoram Limor
    Is that the same color for the 328 wheels?

20. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    The tints/metallic makeup of silver have probably changed through the years. I would use the silver color that matches the year of your car.

21. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    It's not everybody who paints all four wheels because the have a scratch mark on one of them! - Spending $600 because of a scratch on one wheel? - Really? :confused:

22. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    #22 scowman, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
    Usually wheels that are 30-40 years old need to be redone. $600 to have them look new? It was easily the best $600 I've spent making the car look new.

Really!

My only regret is I didn't spend $750 getting them all done. But I think I will buy a $25 rattle can from paint scratch and do the spare myself.

23. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    The color code is FER 101 or FER 101/C?

thank you very much

ciao

24. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    #24 flashman, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
    Albert,
    The paint code is Argento Metallic 101. You can order it in either a single stage (Base and Clear Coat together) or double stage (Base Coat and Clear Coat seperately) Also, they will want to know the year of your car. I ordered the single stage and used my own clear coat, as it was less expensive, and it came out perfectly. The color match with my other wheels is "spot on" perfect. The people at PaintScratch are very easy to deal with and waste no time in getting your order filled and shipped.

25. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Those are the Ferrari codes. Paintscratch has their own. Just go to their website enter your year and pick the silver Ferrari color. Go with the two part system. The single needs to be polished.