NASCAR 2014 | Page 25 | FerrariChat

NASCAR 2014

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by tervuren, Jan 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  2. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    MWR isn't any worse than the others, they just got hit with a penalty for it because NASCAR decided to try to penalize something concrete, rather than Bowyers spin. They haven't enforced that 100% since, and I've seen a lot of laying back, and giving up spots all year. It was a case of we can't really for sure penalize you for a, so we'll lay the smack down for this other thing.

At Richmond two championships ago, as soon as Jeff passed Hamlin, with 3 laps to go, Denny, well, "he came in for fuel" - ie, gave a spot to Kyle Busch. Preeeety darn obvious.

If you can stay at the front, no shenanigans can take your championship race, but over a long race, thats pretty hard to do.

Harvick has been some what of a checkers or wreckers driver this year, ferociously fast car, doesn't always bring it home. He'll likely either win the championship with a race win, or wind up with mechanical/pit failure/wrecked.

And yes, Ford plays team orders, and they'll be briefing their drivers ahead of time with a "reminder", and probably a "bonus" to all Ford drivers if a Ford wins. This is also probably part of the reason Carl and Kenseth have left Ford for Toyota - they wanna race, and politics be darned.

3. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    actually I think MWR has proven to be more unethical than most other teams over the course of their existence. sure, everyone bends the rules and games the system, but they're either more intentional or less stealth about it.

that "drive 100%" nonsense was completely unenforceable, that was the big farce about it.

agree re: Harvick and the Ford teams.

4. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

gm, ford and Toyota...we know denny ain't gonna win.

5. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  6. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Work has come up, I'm not gonna make it to racing tonight. Your PM box is full.

7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Unofficial Chase Standings using 2013 Sprint Cup Chase rules:
    [after Phoenix, race 35 of 36]

1) #22-Joey Logano [5 wins] 2368
    2) #4-Kevin Harvick [4 wins] 2342, -29
    3) #2-Brad Keselowski [6 wins], 2320, -48
    4) #24-Jeff Gordon [4 wins] 2312, -56
    5) #31-Ryan Newman, 2311, -57
    6) #20-Matt Kenseth, 2296, -72
    7) #99-Carl Edwards [2 wins] 2278, -90
    8) #18-Kyle Busch [1 win] 2277, -91
    9) #88-Dale Earnhardt Jr. [4 wins], 2271, -97
    10) #16-Greg Biffle [1 win], 2244, -124
    11) #48-Jimmie Johnson [4 wins], 2239, -129
    12) #5-Kasey Kahne [1 win], 2199, -169

BHW

8. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    irrelevant, all that matters now is finishing in front of the other 3. apparently bonus points are irrelevant at homestead too.

I'm really hoping there's a "big one" five laps in and the chase contenders finish 40-43rd. with Newman finishing 40th of course :)

what a joke.

9. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Harvick wins. meh.

Chevy 1-2...what were you saying, FerrariPete? ;)

10. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #611 BartonWorkman, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    Hollywood couldn't have come up with a better script than that sham of a race at Homestead
    yesterday.

How could anyone have predicted that the top four contenders would be sitting 1-2-3-4 in
    the race with mere laps to go? What melancholy sorcery is this?

The race was Jeff Gordon's to lose. He consistently ran at the front of the pack, emerged in
    first place after each pit stop only to mysteriously forego a pit stop at a critical caution period
    which put paid to his chances, an obvious call from above.

The only other kink in the script was the Penske team letting Logano down in the pits after
    dropping the car off the jack, and what the hell was that anyway?

That "race" was as tightly scripted as any WWE match with no one (NO ONE) other than Gordon
    even having a look-in. How this NASCAR qualifies as a sport is beyond me. If these races
    aren't permitted as "sports entertainment", they certainly should be.

BHW

11. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    lol

that was some pretty epic race engineering.

what was great was the entire broadcast focused solely on those 4 cars....everyone else was window dressing. why not just have a four car shootout? :)

12. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    It was amazing how Gordon just disappeared? It's surprising that a seasoned driver and crew would make a decision like they did and completely screw up any chance to win
    unless they were prodded?

13. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Was Danica Patrick's name even mentioned during the entire broadcast?

BHW

14. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I wonder how big of a check Gordon/Hendrick got for that one :)

I also wonder how blatantly illegal all the Chase cars were ;) since NASCAR's long standing policy has been cheaters keep the win and take a points/$$$ penalty, and since finishing position determined the championship, I'd have had a supercharger and oversized tires on my car.

15. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    Too funny!

16. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    A little bit of that and a little bit of prodding from the locked box high above the track
    talking to everyone on the track on their split frequency radios telling them to get out of
    the way of the contenders.

The whole thing is a farce.

They've taken what once was a great tradition and made a mockery of it.

BHW

17. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    serious question Barton...was there a time you were a fan of NASCAR?

I was, but can't say I am now. I'm not so sure about you ;)

18. ferraripete

simply put...you summed it all up in the last sentence.

19. ferraripete

this was an equally big area of concern for me...

as much pure race talent as that darling lady has, she not being mentioned at least a dozen or so times is simply not acceptable by any measure!

at least mention how she got her third lucky dog to help keep her on the lead lap...at least mention her during the mystery debris caution that always seems to come out as the leader is about to put her a lap down...just mention her for crying out loud!!!!

20. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Whenever a championship is on the line - a team puts the micro machined months to machine parts together into a special engine. Watch how when it was between Carl Edwards and Tony Stewart, how there wasn't a car in the field even close.

Teams also know the camera's won't be on them, so why waste a good race engine for a result that will simply be an "also ran".

Combine the two factors, and the championship contending cars will have a huge performance gap to the non contenders. You don't have to script them to the front, the reward for being there does it on its own.

Since I knew there might be 43 cars out there with only 4 getting TV time, I figured I'd rather read about the race than watch it. Especially given the end result of a stand up guy like Harvick winning.

21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    so you're saying 39 teams showed up with a half assed effort?

again, why not just make it a 4 car, 10 lap shootout?

I dunno, but if I was a team owner and each race had a mid to high six figure budget, and I was contractually obligated to the sport and my sponsors to field a car, might as well go ahead and do your best....

22. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Forget mentioning her, just keep showing her bikini pics and the Go Daddy ads with the
    heavy girl/girl overtones, that'll keep me coming back.

Perhaps not an artistic way of putting it, but there you have it.

BHW

23. ferraripete

this!

24. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The non-competing teams were told to stand down just as they were in the Stewart/Edwards
    finale. This is done by NASCAR race control via split frequency radio, all the cars carry
    the antennas.

There must have been some very heated radio exchanges between Gordon's pits and
    race control, I'd love to hear some of that.

Teams that would dare to interfere with the NASCAR narrative at their own peril in the way
    of sanctions and their t-shirt and trinket (where they're making their real money) sales
    closed for the day and foreseeable future.

And, what about these teams running with the bodywork extenders fore the rear wheel arches?
    Logano's crew pulled his body work out away from the car a foot and a half and that is okay.
    But, have their rear spoiler 1/1,000,000th of an inch to high or low, that's a sanctionin',
    finin' and suspendin' the crew chief.

Understanding NASCAR is like understanding how airplanes fly or sumthin.

BHW