New Maybach revealed at LA Show (video, 1:32) | FerrariChat

New Maybach revealed at LA Show (video, 1:32)

Discussion in 'Other German' started by ScuderiaWithStickPlease, Nov 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy0rYqpFE20&list=UUIMzhx509wEXMuGkTK-kD9Q]Mercedes-Maybach S600 revealed - YouTube[/ame]

As a car fan, I would've liked more differentiation from the S.

2. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #2 texasmr2, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    I thought the Maybach brand was dead?

It should have been completely separate from MB and custom built on its own chassis but these are the times we live in. The 2015 SL65 is around $250K and is basically the same car. My '04 BMW 525i drives just as nice as any MB I have ever driven and I saved $240K! I like to rant.

3. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Agree...from a former ultra-lux brand to just a trim level...how the mighty have fallen; but then again that's what it was before (leading to its demise) if you really peeled the onion...just a hyper upgraded S-class.

A least this time the MB three pointed star badges are still on it ;) which most likely means a faster fall in resale value translating into ripe and tempting prices in 3-5years after massive depreciation like the typical S600 S-Class Designo.

4. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Not even close...Drive a S/CL600 or 65 and you wouldn't dare say that.

5. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    It's going to be like AMG. They are ultimately going to offer E-Class Maybach, etc. Just a higher trim level. This is aimed at China and rappers (in my opinion).

At least they are honest in the press release: "Providing both prestige and exclusivity, it is aimed at customers for whom status is important."

6. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I drove many miles in a R129 SL600 so I stand by my opinion.

7. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Just to be clear, you're comparing how your '04 BMW drives compared to a car that was engineered over 15 years earlier?

8. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Correct. The obvious opinion is that ALL MB's exceed other makes and models just because it is a MB.

9. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Why would you compare a 2004 E60 to a preceding generation MB R129 platform that was introduced in 1990? (which btw the v12 in the 600 is fantastic to this day (power, smoothness) even if the chassis isn’t)

By all means stand by your claim (it’s your opinion) that’s what these forums are about - Your car is nice, but an E60 is not even relevant at even a minutest level comparison wise to an elite 600 level S-class and at the very minimum you should at least compare it to a R230 chassis (something after 2003 – same decade).

Rightfully try looking at a W220/W215/R230 chassis cars and say the same or hold onto your position...but that’s even unfair as they are not even in the same league. It is tantamount to a BMW 5 series owner comparing their car against a 6 or 7-series or if we are talking AMG in the case of the mentioned 65s we are now comparing M class against a pedestrian model. Bottom line - No comparison.