Ferrari 365 P Paris Motor Show 1966 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 365 P Paris Motor Show 1966

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by bigodino, Feb 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Okay so I copied my posts from Telaio to this thread but somehow they appear at the beginning of this thread, probably because those posts were older.

Anyway, please have a look at those post and you'll see the many differences between early and later version of s/n 8971.

2. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    #52 bigodino, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    #53 damian in nj, Jan 7, 2011
  4. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
  5. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I have to add that I no longer believe that there are more than two 365 P speciales. All the differences in details could have been done on request of Chinetti.

6. cgr512

cgr512 Rookie

Feb 27, 2006
    I always heard the 365p cars were reboded race cars. Mr. Ferrari did not want to go to the expense of moving the steering wheel and controls to the side as we are accustom.
    The white 365p was going to Mr. Mecom; his team was going to race it. Mr. Chinetti kept it for the NART race team. The car burned to the ground and was then rebuilt by Ferrari. The history from that point is known well.
    The silver car was Mr. Agnelli's. He had a problem with his leg and could not drive the car. Mr. Mecom was intending to race it but it never happened. The car was used as a driver. I heard the silver car was painted red while Mr. Mecom owned it
    I saw the red 365p in the early 1980s here in Houston. A friend of mine drove the car; he knows it well.
    To the best of my knowledge the red car was never black. I was told that Mr. Mecom owned the black car “too”. I will post more information when I learn it.
    If any other photos are posted I will ask my source about them.

7. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    PA & NJ

8. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    #58 bigodino, Jan 8, 2011
    Very interesting! I've attached an article I wrote for Ferrari magazine (FOC GB) that was published some time ago. It maybe need some corrections as it seems that Mr. Mecom had a lot more to do with the cars? Any info on the racing plans with these cars would be very welcome!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. cgr512

cgr512 Rookie

Feb 27, 2006
    This morning I was reminded of a story I heard back in the 1980s.
    A Ferrari collector in France bought one of the 3 seat Ferrari s and crashed it in a tree on his private track. The car was a total loss. This could have been the black car.

10. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #60 El Wayne, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
    Oops!
    Yes, but I would rather not copy any posts from Telaio to here without the permission of the original posters.
    That's the other issue. They will stay in chronological order.

11. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I just ran across the story I did on 8815 for the FOC magazine "Ferrari" around 1971 or so. At that time, it appeared that the front suspension and fuel tanks were pure 250LM, which would tend to confirm that the chassis was LM. However, I noted that the rear suspension appeared to be P-car. The engine seemed to be standard 365GT; the block was stamped 2494.
    Dave and Carol Kopf, who had owned a number of interesting F-cars, saw it at the factory around 1970, while on a tour with Ken and Rosi Starbird. He inquired, and was told it belonged to a customer and was not for sale. Dave persisted with Graziano Boni and Amerigo Manicardi, and finally got to drive it at the Modena Aer-AutoDromo. The price was high, but Dave was able to make a deal, and the car was his. Although registered to RIV-SKF, a subsidiary of FIAT, Manicardi confirmed that it had been built for Gianni Agnelli after Gianni had seen the first show car. It had a combination electric/pedal clutch, as Agnelli had a bad leg. Dave was told that the spoiler was added after Agnelli complained that it was unstable at 190; Dave asked if he meant kilometers, and was told, "No, miles per hour."
    The pix that accompany the article show the car in silver with black stripe (when Dave owned it), and black with red stripe (when owned by Bud Keeney, who bought it from the Kopfs.) Bud eventually sold it to John Mecom.
    Dave was kind enough to give me a ride, and I recall it as very civilized when driven with a gentle touch, but a real stormer when the pedal was pushed. One could still break the tires loose in third gear. Foot space was better on the right side, but the shifter was an annoyance for the right-side passenger.
    Hope I haven't rambled too much; I do that.

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Great facts!!!

Mr. Mecom has kept only a few momentos...a preproduction Corvette sits in the garage......

13. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Ed.......please ramble on!! The comment that the car was unstable at 190 not KM but MPH is priceless. Agnelli was the most important individual in Italy [forget the politicians] driving at speeds 99.99% of the world population would never dare. How cool is that?

Any chance you could post the article you wrote about this car? I never really paid much attention to it because I had previously thought of it as a prototype-styling exercise that was more show than go. Clearly I made an erroneous assumption. LM/P-car bones that are combined with civilized characteristics......wow. Obviously Dave Kopf was someone that recognized the significance of this car.

We need to find a really attractive female writer to spend a few months with you so she could extract all the history that you hold.

best
    Steve C

14. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I'm up for that! Oops, a double-entendre.

15. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    bump. great thread to keep alive. prefer car w/out the rear spoiler. was this a precursor to the dino?
    ed

16. carvad

carvad Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Full Name:
    Vadim Dobrovolskyi
  17. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
  18. carvad

carvad Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Full Name:
    Vadim Dobrovolskyi
    I agree with you :)

19. claud

claud Rookie

May 13, 2014
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Claud Pipkin
    In about 1978 ish I was over at Sidney Simpson's Automobili in Houston and on that day Sidney had 2 of Mecum's cars.......One was a red 365p Speciale.........definitely 3 seat

20. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Any more info on the 365 P owned by Chinetti Jr. that didn't sell for 20 mil on chasing classic cars?

Ago

21. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I believe history proves this incorrect, but I have been told directly that Mecom had two 365p's, and not the one owned by Chinetti....

References have been posted about this over the years...

22. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I'd be very interested in pictures of those two 365p's. I noticed that Ed posted a picture with yet another detail different from the early version as well as the later version. Why would anyone keep changing these details?

23. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    PF had a history of changing details of his show cars. Dunno why.

24. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    At my Christmas party last night, oddly, this topic came up....

I think it enlightened the history and confusion.

Does anyone have history of the Chinetti car before AND after Chinetti obtained it originally?

25. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Was it a racing chassis that had a racing record, so that conceivably it could be rebodied as a 250-LM (just like the California Spyder that became the 3Z Zagato Ferrari has been returned to California Spyder)

Also like to know what
    David Koff sold it or advertised it for?
    What Bud Keeney sold it or advertised it for?

When the Kopf-Keeney-Mecom car was at Simson's Automobili, was it for sale or just there being serviced?

Finally, and maybe no one knows the answer but his biographer, but was Agnelli's leg problem due to his war wound(s), two on the Russian front and the last in a bar in Africa; over a woman...what was her name?