The BORA | Page 4 | FerrariChat

The BORA

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wbaeumer, Aug 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. doubleclutch

doubleclutch Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 18, 2014
    Any Port in a Storm
    Full Name:
    Alex Stephen
    Hello Eugene; You have a PM.

2. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    I have checked with the US representative, Robert Hall, again by telephone today to reconfirm what I previous discuss with him almost two years ago. EZ Power steering manufactures parts to replace some of the existing parts in the factory steering system for the Bora to enable them to fit the electric steering system. They do not, I repeat, do not replace the entire steering column with a totally new assembly in this particular case. Robert informed me that the Maserati conversions are amongst the most expensive do to the type of steering assemblies the incorporated into the cars. In order to get the electric motor assembly into the car the parts they replace do not permit the column to telescope but it still can tilt. I have asked Robert Hall, the US seller of the system, if he could ask the European company if there is any way to incorporate the telescope feature for ME at an additional costs. He will make the inquiry and get back to me. Again, my problems are not the average one for normal size drivers so someone who doesn't need the reach provision would have a wonderful conversion that I would certainly like to incorporate into my Bora. I am not trying to discourage the conversion. I think it is a great idea and makes the car more drivable for many owners. It just does't seem to work for my particular situation. Call Robert Hall at his company, The Driven Man, and discuss it with him directly. He has a website with information on the EZ Electric Steering systems and will be glad to work with you. I found him very forthcoming.

3. emsiegel13

Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    I got a call back from Robert Hall, the US agent for EZ Electric Steering, and he informed me that they cannot provide a telescopic function for the Bora steering conversion. What they can do is make the steering length equal to half way between full and full out on the factory version. As I indicated before for most people this will work out very well and the electric steering is a great plus in my mind but not for my particular requirements. Its back to the weight and a work out program for me.

4. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Power steering aside, I have a Classic Sports Car mag and Derik Bell voted the Bora the Best 70s handeling, mid engine car and quote " the surprise of the group" Full marks to Guerino Bertocchi for has chassis work. Apparently he disliked the midengine concept and set the car up like a front engine car.
    Graeme

5. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Hi guys---
    To quote from my latest correspondence with EZ PS:

"The Power steering kit remains height adjustable, unfortunately it is not depth adjustable. If you tell us in which position you normally have the steering wheel (maximum extended (closest to the driver) medium or minimum extended (closest to the dashboard) we can make the column in that position.

Of course you can always use a spacer between the steering wheel and the hub to place the steering wheel closer to the driver."

Just wanted to say that this is good enough for me!

Thanks.

6. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks for clearing this up Elliot. Not the greatest news but to be practical, for many they might be able to select the range they'd like and live with that. Then also retain the original stuff for the next caretaker.

I'm astounded at the attention to detail this company is giving to all these obscure models of cars.

They must be huge fans. Bravo to them!

7. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    That seems like a reasonable approach. I would also think it's within the realm of possibility they could make the upper half of the new steering column a custom length for customers with a unique requirement.

Cheers,
    - Art

8. emsiegel13

Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Since the Bora conversion is one of their most expensive, I'm sure that for no additional money or very little Robert Hall can customize the length of the steering column to fit a unique requirement. My problem is that besides my own needs I have friend who are permitted to drive my Bora and they have completely different requirements. Because the factory steering column and the adjustable pedal assembly are so versatile they get as much enjoyment driving the car as do I.

9. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    I have a question about Bora leather. Is there anyone making leather kits, meaning pre-cut to size for the Bora interior as opposed to have an artisan do everything for scratch?
    The outcome being a lower expense through a streamlined fabrication process.

10. mamamia

mamamia Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    England
    Full Name:
    Henry Jameson
    Why do owners sitting on an appreciating asset nearly always quibble about the cost of spare parts and restoration ?

11. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Historically this has been an obscure and not terribly collectable car. It had a rather brief jump in value back during the end of the 1980s and went right back down - all the way.
    Production was low. Both those characteristics speak to your questions. It's valuation is changing now. We'll see if that rises and holds enough to warrant expensive restorations?

A lot of Ghiblis HAVE gotten expensive attention and their valuations are decent but still lag the equivalent Ferrari. Historically they got the same ride that Bora's did, spyders had a better time of it.

Back then not that many of these Maserati received the sorts of restorations we're seeing today so that's good for the cars!

12. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    To cut to the chase. Obviously depends on your location in the world.
    I tried several trimmers in US an UK.
    Would not rest until I achieved BETTER than original standards.
    If you want the best try the guys who did my car last year.
    Introduced to me by friends we ran the Mille Miglia Classic with a few years back.
    Most assuredly no relation.
    BTW, the cost was, in my opinion, reasonable.
    If you are interested in saving a few bucks, don't bother.
    Obviously you have no idea what it takes to do the Bora pleats right.

THIS IS NOT A ZERO SUM GAME.
    Every Bora that is stunningly restored is an asset to us all.
    Be prepared to wait in line.
    It is worth it:

David Beswick Coachtrimmer
    Address: Unit 19 Robinson Ind. Est.
    Shaflesbury Street
    Derby
    Derbyshire
    DE23 8NL
    UK
    Telephone: 01332 517778 /
    Email: davidd-m-beswick.fsnet.co.uk
    Profile: A full & comprehensive trimming service from minor repairs to major retrims for all marques. Leather or fabric interiors, carpets & weather equipment etc catered for.
    Category: coachtrimmers
    Area scope: worldwide

Would love to hear from you if this helped.

Thanks.

B.

-----------------------------------------

13. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    boralogist. thanks for the thoughtfull response. I should specified the car is in the USA so the UK may not be the best unless their have the leather pre-cut to dimension and can ship, which then may work out.
    EDIT: we will contact them and let you know.

Lets be clear about this for others who seem questioning questioning costs. This is for someone I know well with multiple cars. The idea is to maximize what is spent on the cars the right way: quality at a discount, not junk at a discount. Nothing wrong with spending smart. Its done in business all the time or you go out of business, right?

The idea of a leather kit came up. Thinking about this, the cars seats should all be the same dimensions. So why would not a good leather shop be able to precut quality leather for exotics in this case the Bora? May be it is a stupid idea but then why would it?

The questions comes to how were the seats fitted with leather at the factory: all one by one to their own dimensions? This would not make a lot of sense. The worker must have worked from standard dimensions for pre-cut and then the leather was custom fitted. That is what we are after: the kit to custom fit.

That said, my personal recommendation was to attempt saving the original leather. It is not damaged but the dye is in bad shape and someone before had it painted. what is damaged is the seat foam. So we will follow that route as well.
    Dash and doors leather is good.

14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    There are two distinct and very distinctly different styles of seats for this car. That and there are now less than 524 of these cares on the planet.

The side bolsters of all of them just crumbled to powder over time. I had mine rebuilt with a little over 3,000 miles but 10 years of time.

Why would anyone bother with trying to make a kit for this car as compared to a 308 or 348 and any number of Jaguar cars?

If you don't have the thick cross sections it's a relatively easy interior top replicate and not a lot of it either.

15. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Just a correction, the total number built is 483.

16. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Where does that number come from?

17. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Leatherique is a company out of South Carolina here in the States IIRC. I went to a workshop where they took some cracked leather that looked like it was a strong candidate for the trash heap and restored it to virtually new condition. I would have never believed it had I not seen it with my own eyes.

These cars are so worthy of correct treatment that doing things on the cheap only brings diminishing returns. Spend wisely, not foolishly.

Just Sayin.

Ciao,
    George

18. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
    He mentioned this on that other site.. It's from a notation on the last page of the records, which says 483 sold (venduta). If you assume that the note applies to all Boras of all types sold in all markets, and that all cars had been sold by the time of the note, then 483 it is. Maserati's own website (FWIW) says 564. Surely Mr. Cozza could clear this up, but asking him would be the easy way, so I killed some hours looking around. The 524 number is suspect because it's conveniently the top serial number divided by two. That would leave out Andy Heywood's confirmed 42 RHD cars with odd serial numbers, which brings it to 566. Then you have to consider the one or two used for crash testing, the two Group 4 cars, and the Boomerang, reportedly made from #081 (RHD number, LHD car now - and some sources say it was #008). Ah, but there are two #158, one in the US, one in Germany, and the last car built and delivered to Panini (#948) was done well after the normal run. Even so, there's a huge gap of about 80 cars between 483 and the top numbers quoted. I decided to look through the web and old VCMs to see how many individual cars were mentioned by number. Either Maserati allocated blocks and never used one, or they skipped around in the numbers. In one evening I found 149 references. With Andy's 42, that's 191, but the interesting thing (if any of it is!) is that there was at least one car in every 10 serial numbers. If Maserati left out numbers, they didn't do it in blocks.
    It would be interesting to see a complete list. It would be even more interesting to know how many still exist.

19. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks. All excellent points. It is my car that Cozza points to. I've known Joe for a fair amount of time. It was a purposeful question. Which only he can answer. ;)

None of this has anything to do with changing the point of my rough cut number. No interior kits are likely to be forthcoming for a Bora.

Joe says he saw future serial numbers 1050 + in the files @ Maserati - Baltimore. I believe these were submitted to the DOT for MY 1977 even though cars were produce well after that. Games ...

As for seeing the complete list what a great idea for Maserati's website no?
    Their initial website was far more interesting IMHO.

Not going to happen. :(

20. highwaybora

highwaybora Karting

Jun 18, 2013
    SoCal
    I'd thought that someone (Enrico?) had once posted that there was a copy extant of the referenced records concerning all Bora instances built to a certain date. I'm late to this party, but intensely interested. As well, I'm late to the notion of obtaining official info' on build of my own Bora from the factory. Appreciate current best info' as to how to obtain such, as there seems to be some various differing (older?) instructions.

Thanks to all.
    NE

21. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    There's a photo of the last page of the Bora factory production logbook in the main Bora thread. That photo was sent to me by someone who visited the factory and asked Cozza to see it.

On page 2 http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/maserati/168047-maserati-bora-picture-thread.html

I think an official review, statement and publication of the production details (full list) by Maserati would be very nice for all of it's vintage fans. This photo is all that I've seen perhaps others have seen more.

You can of course order the Classiche kit for your car.

22. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Don't forget about the factory fire in 1975/6 which destroyed a number of chassis'. That is probably where the chassis for Panini Bora came from, notice it is out of sequence.

23. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    The hand brake on my 1977 Bora works but will not hold the car if there is the slightest incline. Needless to say if there was a car that needs a good hand brake is one equipped with the Citroen hydraulic system.

I have checked all the hand brake components and they all seem to be operating as designed. I replaced the hand brake pads just in case the old ones were glazed. Scuffed the rear rotors with 40 grit sandpaper in case they were glazed. Removed and lubricated the hand brake cable. Made sure the hand brake calipers move freely and that all the springs were in place.

I am at a lost as I've run out of things to check. Hard for me to believe that Maserati would had designed the Bora with such a weak hand brake so I must be overlooking something. Any thoughts?

Ivan

24. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Ivan,
    Dave Burnham and his trusty crew recommissioned my hand brake. As far as I know it was a basic "disassemble, clean, lube, reassemble" process. But it works better than your description - and at least well enough to pass NYS inspection. You could give Dave a call and ask him or Carter whether they did anything particular.

You have fresh pads so…
    - If we assume it's not frictional slip between the pad and rotor, then there MUST be a lack of force being applied at the pads.

Something is weakening the transmission of the force to the handbrake caliper.
    - The actuator at the caliper could be sticking. But you said this is free of binding?
    - The handbrake lever isn't moving enough to pull the cable properly..
    - The cable adjustment is not short enough..
    - If your cable is old enough it could literally just be stretching like a rubber band, absorbing the force rather than transmitting it.

Questions:
    - How does the handbrake lever feel? Does it seem to grab, do you feel tension, or does it travel easily right to its stop?
    - Does your cable adjust to be short enough so you feel tension in the cable?
    - Do the actuator arms (both the at the handle in the cockpit and at the caliper at the rotor) have a choice of holes for the cable-ends to attach, giving adjustability to the "travel" of the cable?

Best,
    - Art

25. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You have a late model car. They had the air injection thermal reactors. On mine that caused the heat to be so great as to melt the internal nylon liner of the brake cable housing thus freezing the movement of the cable and making it non op. I'm certain your air pump was disconnected a long time ago but perhaps it has had some effect?

Since I've rebuilt mine with new cable housings a stainless steel cable & fittings as well as an insulating cover for the housing it's been flawless.

Start there.