Paint Protection Film, which one? | FerrariChat

Paint Protection Film, which one?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by MuratC, Dec 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MuratC

MuratC Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Istanbul, Turkey
    I will soon replace factory installed film on my Speciale. Now there are so many brands on the market but I guess the most well known are 3M, XPel, LLumar. So which one is the best?

My dealer recommends LLumar, any feedback?

Also is it be OK to use wax/polish on these films?

Thank You

2. bigblock737

bigblock737 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Andy B.
    I do have 3M on mine, except for the sills where they used thicker film I don't know the brand of...
    I wax the car as usual, also the film...

3. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I have 3M Venturashield on some of my cars and Xpel on one. Everyone saying that the Xpel is superior but I don't see any difference. In fact the Xpel had to be redone for some quality control issues. Supposedly the Xpel can autocorrect if warm water is poured on it. As far as aftercare, I polish or wax right over both, no issues. Just treat like regular body panel.

4. XPEL

XPEL Karting
    BANNED

Mar 26, 2013
    Worldwide
    MuratC,

It is okay to wax and polish most paint protection films. However it's very important to note that not all films are created equally. Some films are more durable than others, and as someone mentioned on the thread, some films can even self-heal. Including XPEL ULTIMATE.

Here is a link to a short video of an installation on a 458 Spider that had XPEL ULTIMATE installed in Austin, TX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgg2oMrdLtQ

As proud sponsors of FerrariChat and the Ferrari Club of America including the National meet for 2015 in Monterey, we want to make sure that you receive the very best in paint protection film.

XPEL ULTIMATE is an 8 mil urethane film that is self-healing, stain resistant (non-yellowing), and backed by a 10 Year Warranty.

I hope this info helps, let us know if you have any questions.

If you need help locating an installer we have a world wide dealer base. Just click the link below to see who's in your area.

XPEL PPF and Clear Bra Dealer Locator

5. BurakUsta

BurakUsta Formula Junior

May 27, 2014
    Istanbul/Turkey
    Full Name:
    Burak Usta
    Hello

You can contact protac in maslak,ferrari dealer works with them,they wrap all kinds of cars including la ferrari.

If you want i can contact them for you :)

6. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Xpel is made by 3M. Everyone has their favorite. Xpel ultimate is up there with self healing, clarity, warranty and non yellowing. Small impacts usually heal in 24 hrs. or less, larger use hot water. I have started using Opti Cares new polish/sealer on the film.

7. XPEL

XPEL Karting
    BANNED

Mar 26, 2013
    Worldwide
    docf,

Thank-you for the kind words about XPEL ULTIMATE.

I just wanted to clarify to the forum that XPEL is NOT made by 3M. We have no affiliation with 3M, and haven't since 2007.

8. groutguy

groutguy Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2014
    Xpel Ultimate was used on my Speciale.
    I have had venture shield, 3M, And Llumar on a number of other vehicles, but so far the least noticeable film has been the Xpel.
    The installer used double layers on the high impact locations, and varying thicknesses based on how tight a curve or how much of a compound curve was required.
    I had the entire car covered, and it is very difficult to even tell there is a film. It is important that the installer uses adhesion promoter on the edges prone to direct spray at the car wash, and if possible the edges should be rolled over the vehicle edges to reduce edge delamination.
    A good installer is just as important as the film itself!
    Make sure if you are going to wax the film, not to use any solvent based waxes. I've found that the newer polymer based waxes are a lot safer, and provide a much nicer finish over films. For quick detailing, Plexus plastic polish works really well.
    Just my.02

9. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #9 Sfumato, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've used Xpel for 15 years. They did full wrap on mine and took it to SEMA. Ton of cars done, product pretty amazing now. Had huge speed rock hits on my 599, wife's M3, and my E63S wagon. Zip. Nada. My first Xpel car in 99 was an M5. Hit a buzzard at 150. Dented hood by kidney, but paint perfect. Touchless guy fixed dent and was fine. Product only better now. :)
    Not paid rep yadayada.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #10 Sfumato, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Won't let me post 2 pics from phone.
    Rear end was bear to do, and it's perfect. Installer is absolutely critical. Speciales have curves and surface changes everywhere. If not done right or film not workable its wrinkly, has gaps, is mess. I can't tell my car has anything on it. Their film is far better than the 3m film they stopped using, it doesn't yellow. My wife's M3 is white, and at 3y out it's great.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Car wash? I thought Ferraris were made of sugar :) mine are.

12. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I'm curious what it costs (approximately) to cover the entire car? I was thinking of just doing the entire front, mirrors, and sills. Maybe I should do the entire car and forget it.

Do you still need to wax the car if it's covered?

13. GDM

GDM Rookie

Jul 27, 2014
    After much research I used Suntek on my entire car, 2015 458 spider, and I am very happy with the results. I considered Expel Ultimate as the alternative self healing film but in the end I felt Suntek was the best choice for me.

14. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    On my cars, used Xpel, 3M, and Suntek, cars are light, medium and darker colors. As mentioned, the key is the preparation. the installer, plus the environment, including temperature of the installation; like a dirty shop in cold the winter. To me, who is sometimes a concours kind of guy, there is little difference with the films. I found the newer 3M film to self healing too.

Why does one film seem better than another over the years? One guy I know was cleaning bugs off his film at a concours event with a dirty towel, rubbing detailing spray in circles. I carefully treat my film like paint, and never clean it when is dry.

Bottom line, if you have an excellent installer and viewed their work, and they recommend, Xpel, then the decision is easy.

15. groutguy

groutguy Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2014
    You don't have to wax the film, but I find that occasional waxing of the film helps to bring out the depth in the paint underneath.
    I'm not sure what the costs are elsewhere, but a high quality complete vehicle job, with double layering on the high impact areas, addition of the rear diffuser fins, head lights and mirrors, R & R of the emblems, and wrapping of the seam locations will run around $6,000.00 (CAD) in the Calgary area. It was a four day Job for my car.

16. AciDShOrT

AciDShOrT Formula Junior
    Owner

Oct 1, 2013
    Saint Louis, MO
    XPEL,
    Who would you recommend in Chicago to do the XPEL full coverage for a Speciale? I am having one delivered in Chicago very soon. Thanks.

17. XPEL

XPEL Karting
    BANNED

Mar 26, 2013
    Worldwide
    I see that you're located in St. Louis. We have an excellent installer there as well. I've added both to the reply just in case.

St. Louis
    Justin at Clear Advantage
    Clear Advantage - Auto Clear Bra Installer - Paint Protection Film St Louis MO
    (314) 369-7062

Chicago
    Rick at Body Skins
    Body-Skins Inc. - Paint Protection Film, Car Bra, bugshield, Performance Films
    (847) 530-8443

18. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    This^^^^

19. RICKYCRETE

RICKYCRETE Rookie

May 14, 2009
    New York
    Full Name:
    RICK
    XPEL no question!!! , just had entire car done.

20. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I just put the new 3M on my GT3 and it's a great product!....Pro series with a clearcoat....top notch installer and came out great

21. titanium430isback

titanium430isback Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2010
    I used xpel on my special and loved it

22. 2Veloce

2Veloce Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2014
    annapolis, maryland
    Full Name:
    Al
    Would you have your dealer do it ( my new spider coming in Feb) or have a private shop doing it? I guess you would have more recourse if a dealer did it. Tho i would think a speciality shop may do a better job.

23. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Xpel. No question. Have a specialty shop do it. Dealers generally outsource and charge more. Each city has it's ultimate shop just ask around locally.

24. 2Veloce

2Veloce Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2014
    annapolis, maryland
    Full Name:
    Al
    Can a shop mess up and damage the car? Completely reversible? Just wouldnt want anything going wrong with the paint. I'm buying the car in CT. I know a local shop that does a good job. I guess if i need follow up care, better to do it close to home?

25. Ferro458

Ferro458 Karting

May 26, 2014
    I just got Xpel on my 2015 Italia and love it. Have an installer recommended by the dealer do it. It was well worth it.