Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918 | Page 606 | FerrariChat

Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by mpowered, Nov 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    I think more and more will opt to have wheels made to run on their cars that are not 200mph+ rated, which under long term ownership would probably save a great deal.

Beyond that, I agree. The service cost alone will likely hold back their values. I heard they start at 15,000 euro with warranties running up to 40,000 euro a year and the numbers get increasingly stupid the more one delves into them.

It would be interesting to compare the expensive of running a Veyron to the likes of the F1, Enzo, 288 GTO etc.

2. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    Of course it's not cheap :). Many people just want it because it's so expensive. Veyron being considered a synonym of richness, luxury, pinnacle of horse power and top speed. Although not achieved in any extraordinary way. Looks solid, looks powerful, but looks ..plain to me.
    - It was only too 'cheap', plain, in the looks to please my eyes for longer.
    No one can deny that Veyron is a formidable machine!

3. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK

Ferrari uses such a V8 in its smaller model. The hypercar gets something much better!!!

4. HoboPie

HoboPie Karting

Apr 16, 2004
    I think the potential issue with eco benefits is that at some point, on some level they likely compromise overall performance. So while electronic motors technically help with both the fact is that a great deal of time, money and ingenuity still needs to applied to that technology and how it will be engineered.

Getting both isn't really possible in the sense that while some benefits may just spring up on their own, most of it actually needs to specifically developed. So any time, money, brainpower or even weight allocation that goes into eco specific areas will subtract from what can be put towards performance. The opposite is also true.

The electric motor has a dual nature which enhances both aspects, but the Ferrari itself is proof that there are still massive choices, and therefore compromises that must be made when developing and engineering the car with that technology.

A car that has great performance and great eco could also most likely have either phenomenal performance or phenomenal eco if only one route was given priority.

5. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    I don't believe maintenance costs affect value. Look at F1. IMHO, Veyron just scores low in some of the items I listed in the value thread.

6. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    #15131 frefan, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Spent the weekend driving the P1. It reminds me of my F40, light and powerful. Was driving at 75mph, floored it and instantly dropped a gear and lit up the rear tires. Another second later and the landscape was a blur. Steering is medium weight and very precise. Feels light and narrow on the road. Truly an exciting car! Best car I have ever driven by far.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    Beautiful! Looks like Box Canyon?

8. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    It does and several industry experts have gone on record saying that's the case with the Veyron. The car is so "over-engineered", maintaining it is like running a Space Shuttle program.

I would not put F1 and Veyron in the same boat - neither when it comes to legacy (a proponent for value) nor costs.

9. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    LF engine is based on the F12. Not that rare IMO...

10. driftwithme

driftwithme Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2009
    Beautiful road and car.

11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Really? There is nothing extraordinary about how the Veyron achieves its performance? I think the fact that it uses so many bespoke parts means it literally is extraordinary. Not to mention the 4 turbo chargers mounted to its W16 motor.... What other car has that!

I think my reaction to your post is simply that it is too easy to become jaded. These are all amazing machines. I would love to have any one of them in my garage.

12. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    frefan -

I'm guessing you got your car.... Congratulations. I need to get back to Reno to visit by buddy. If you recall, I was out there a few years ago for a wedding and tried to hook up but it didn't work. I still want to see your F40. The plan was I was going to buy you a beer(s) at Garwood's.

Mike

13. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That sounds awesome. My P1 is supposed to arrive this Sunday! I can't wait to drive it!

14. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Great news for you Mark - can't wait to see your finished product! :cool:

>8^)
    ER

15. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Congrats Mark and Mike!

16. Westview

Westview Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2014
    The current hybrid technology provides more benefits than petrol power alone - we do get the best of both worlds, performance and eco benefits (less fuel consumption, lower emissions). The 918, the most hybrid of all three hypercars, can lap the Ring in under 7 minutes, and Porsche estimates 26 mpg (approx 9L per 100Km) fuel consumption in real world driving. No petrol only production car has ever lapped the Ring quicker, and no petrol only supercar with 600 plus HP could ever hope to achieve that type of fuel economy. Yet the 918 can manage both.

The real drawback to hybrid technology is expense and complexity. Hopefully, both will be addressed over the coming years. I also believe that hybrid technology has made the turbocharger obsolete in the long run.

17. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #15142 MarkNC, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. Adrenalin Junkee

Adrenalin Junkee Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Zach
    Woooowwww why does it look grey from the side angle? Just poor lighting? Thats awesome! Congrats!

19. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Poor lighting and I corrected the picture so you could see the shape of the car better.

20. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I disagree. The more the engine becomes detached from the wheels, the more a turbo configuration makes sense, to the point where engines will become exclusively electric generators and in which role turbos are more a convenient solution. In this 3 hypercars the engine is still very much connected to the wheels so aspirated ones are still more desirable IMO, but the close future is turbo in my eyes, and turbines even, like the first Jaguar concept that got canned

21. Whoopsy

Whoopsy Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2012
    Vancouver, BC

The only turbo configuration that make sense in your scenario is a turbo diesel. Gasoline turbo make no sense at all with the horrible efficiency rating.

Turbines, however, would be a even better choice as a pure generator. It will run forever at a constant rpm.

22. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Not completely nonsensical. The fisker karma uses a turbo petrol engine as generator for example. My point is though that hybrid tech hasn't made the turbo obsolete. It's given it new life if anything and will keep being relevant as the hybrid systems will evolve. Even new f1s to an extent are hybrid turbos

P.s. I would have loved if they kept at it with that turbine jag as for their original concept. It would have been fantastic having a fourth contender now

23. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    I find eco benefits on a limited run toy to be a paradox.

24. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    Nice.

I saw a P1 at the factory a few months ago, and I think it has one of the nicest side profiles ever.

25. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Not sure I agree engines will ever only be generators (except maybe on city cars like the BMW i3) but I think Turbos will be protagonists for a while, too. I was reading the other day, and unfortunately I can't remember where, that electric turbos are being devised, in which the initial spooling is aided by an electric motor meaning the turbo will kick in much faster and at much lower revs, eliminating most if not all of the turbo lag. That would be something..