SuperAmerica prices -- COME ON MAN! | FerrariChat

SuperAmerica prices -- COME ON MAN!

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Drive550PFB, Dec 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

I have just searched some ads for the SuperAmerica. A couple of the ads are running the price up over $350,000. Come on Man!

Last time I saw one of these at auction, I think it was $225,000.

It seems to me that many of these dealers are starting to put on stupid prices just to try to re-set the market.

Anyone know of auction results or one that may be coming to auction soon?

2. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Sign of a MKT top - so many dealers are going to go out of biz......... The ones that are playing the speculation game are playing with fire.

3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    And somebody called Z Best Auto Sales is advertising a "celebrity owned" 550 for $149,999 (marked down from $175,000, so hurry!). It must be one of z best!

4. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Love the SA. Would love to see it at a much lower price but short of a stock market correction, I'm not planning on it.

Robb

5. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I am sure there will be people who will talk about it's rarity and design and value and compare it to other limited editions cars and talk relative value etc. etc. and then to top it all will wax eloquent about how this time is different. Just look at Countachs and the TRs. Imho this time is no different. Just in the past two years we have seen Gold and Oil correct massively along with a number of other commodities. All these collector items going through the roof in the past two years including cars will be no different.

6. MB_Fahrer

MB_Fahrer Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Same boat my father is in. I would like a SA as well, but I don't have even the $200k (that they used to cost) to get into one--plus, I couldn't bring myself to spend $200k on a 575 anyway. Too much money for what it is worth to me, but it's clearly worth much more to other people.

This market explosion is why I'm looking to get into a 456 ASAP. Considering a 550 as well. First one I can find of either model that meets my color (and manual transmission) requirements get bought. I am scrambling around like mad searching website after website for at least an hour every day.

7. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    Why would a standard 456 and 550 go up for no reason? The 599 and 612 are still going down.

8. Da Chedda

Da Chedda Karting
    BANNED

Dec 7, 2014
    At The Mouse Trap
    Full Name:
    Dean Cheese
    2 Reasons:

1.Speculation
    2.60s and 70s cars are on a(n) (upward) run and taking the rest of the analog market up.

Wait, it will settle down.

9. tmario

tmario Formula Junior

May 11, 2004
    New York
    Full Name:
    Mario
    There is one coming up in the Scottsdale auctions in January. 2005 Ferrari 575 Superamerica | Arizona 2015 | RM AUCTIONS

For sure, sellers always try to "re-set" the market if they can. Creating a sense of urgency is a time honored sales technique! And buyers, of course will try to stress that there are other choices out there (which there always are).

I own one and love the car. The last time I thought about selling it (not that long ago and to a dealer) I was looking to switch to a 16m. While the SA generates great sensory inputs, they don't really show up unless you are revving high andwith that car it means you are doing license threatening speeds. My old CS made all the right sounds but didn't have a ton of torque so you didn't have to be bombing at 100+ mph to get the Ferrari feel!

However, at the time I would have had to pay up for the swap and I didn't think it was worth it. Maybe now it would be even so I would consider it save for the fact that the car won't see the road for another 6 months anyway where I live.

10. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    That car has a reserve in upper $300k, 950 miles on it, HGTC.
    Might go for $400k which sounds fairly ridiculous but not so much when compared to Ford GTs, originally costing half the price of SA and produced in 10 times the volume of Ferrari.

11. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
  12. RMSotheby's

RMSotheby's Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    RM Sotheby's

Right you are. Gorgeous car with stunning colors, single ownership, low mileage, HGTC package, and a recent service to boot.

Our last 575 Superamerica went for $330,000 USD at Monterey this past August. That was an excellent example, but this Superamerica takes everything that car had and kicks it up a notch.

13. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I'm still kicking myself for dropping from bidding on your '94 512TR at Amelia...
    .... and 365GTC/4
    .....and 512BBi

14. ddurrie

ddurrie Rookie

Jun 8, 2014
    I have seen that also. I bought mine last year for $220,000 in perfect condition, GTC and new top. At that time there were usually 8-10 on the market. Only a few now and the prices are way up. We will need to see what they actually sell for. - DSD

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #16 tazandjan, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    That's some what of a surprise. Ferrari Newport Beach usually prices their cars very reasonably...or is this the new reasonable?

17. boxndoc1

boxndoc1 Karting

Jan 25, 2007
    North America/Italy
    it has the correct production to command it , I'm not saying i like it
    but its a matter of supply ... a blue chip car
    i personally love the 575 gated

18. parothed97

parothed97 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2008
    Toronto
    So with less than 50 produced Superamericas having the gated transmission, I wonder what the premium would be?

19. secondsole

secondsole Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2013
    O-H!
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I'm happy to see the 575SA reach $500k - the next hot Ferrari, why not? We all love the brand, let this one fly.

20. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    that is not a 500k car imo. no sa is.

sorry guys, i was with you at around 350k, but this has now gone beyond reasonable.
    bubble territory. i lived through 89, and this is starting to look similar.

21. secondsole

Feb 28, 2013
    O-H!
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Dino's went from 50 to 400 just like that! And are staying.

22. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    It's been 25 years since Dinos were 50K.

23. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I remember when good Dino drivers were $8K. Mine was $10.6K when she was 3 years old.

24. secondsole

Feb 28, 2013
    O-H!
    Full Name:
    Michael
    7-10yrs ago they hit a quarter million, you can go back on the Fchat and read about all the "how could this be, it'll pop"...wish I'd of bough 10 at that price. Personally, I love seeing Ferraris climb in price. It's exciting, and we are proud owners. You could get an F40 under 300 not that long ago! It's awesome. Even look at 355's now...holding, then slowly going up. Most are in the 60's, but could push back up to 80's soon,...TR is one of the other, best examples. 80k few years ago. 300 now. LOve it.