488 GTB (458 replacement) | Page 92 | FerrariChat

488 GTB (458 replacement)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by synergy, Aug 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Lucky man. What color?

2. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Congrats; to each his own: enjoy! :)

3. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    What an unfunny attempt at being "clever".

4. Milanno

Milanno Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2012
    Let him enjoy :D

5. texex91

texex91 Karting

Nov 11, 2014
    USA
    Difference between 'clever' and 'honest'...cheers. Let me guess you don't like it either?

Why so hostile. I think we should all be happy for whatever Ferrari one choses.

I love 458, 488...you name it.

488 is latest and that's it.

6. Rossi46

Rossi46 Karting

Apr 28, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
  7. Milanno

Milanno Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2012
    Covering engine sound with loud music and later avoiding hard revving after he parked the car is not good sign :(

8. texex91

texex91 Karting

Nov 11, 2014
    USA
    #2283 texex91, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    LOVE IT (well rims could be better).

Certainly the 488 is more of an evolution not revolution...what's wrong with building upon such a great car like 458?

So funny how many here in the Ferrari community are bashing one it's own vs embracing this change.

I wonder how many are in the "I really don't like it camp" vs "I just bought mine in the past few years and dreading the depreciation potential"...very strange.

I expected better from Ferrari owners.

9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    The 488 has 50% more downforce than an Italia, but has virtually the same downforce as a Speciale. The 488 looks significantly busier than an Italia to me and perhaps even a little busier than the Speciale aside from the front. Most downforce is created from the underbody anyway. The key is to move the mufflers higher so you can get a nice upward flow in the rear. A more profound inverted wing profile. Speciale has this. 488 has this. italia does not. This is why 488 and Speciale have virtually the same downforce with a slight advantage to 488. If i had to take a guess, 488 gained a little more downforce because there is a little inverted wing imbedded into the side intakes. So it is actually the 488 that has more downforce because of busier lines.

10. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    458's tribute at the time of its premiere:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a0MMk3VFps[/ame]
    It is not likely for the new 488 to grab the same amount of applause from masters of visual arts, but as a modified model, its form definitely follows new functions.

11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
  12. Dadr

Dadr Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    What did it sound like rolling in? I could not hear a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    #2288 458trofeo, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. justthebest

justthebest Formula Junior

May 14, 2014
    Denver, CO
    That's my feeling - I think the 488 is just a vent-ified 458. The 488 design is just not as cohesive.

15. MJamieson77

MJamieson77 Rookie

Aug 11, 2012
    I've got to agree with you. Have had an pre-order in since August, and was waiting with much anticipation for the release of the 458 replacement, with a mixed feeling of excitement (that the car will be awesome) and dread (knowing in the back of my mind they would have to screw with the look to get all that air into the engine), but who would have thought they would screw up the side vents as much as they have. Just hate those side vents. Now I've seen the car in the metal it looks even worse. Can't get past them. Already started the search for a 458 Spyder.

16. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I personally think they did a great job in creating a more aggressive buff looking turbo car. NA variants have always had a softer and more elegant look than their turbo counterparts. Lean vs Mean. Whatever floats your boat. I prefer the Speciale because it has a mixture of both personalities.

17. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    So you're saying it has more downforce?

; )

Seriously, find someone else to engage in this silly argument w you.

18. justthebest

May 14, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Don't feed the trolls.

19. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I am saying it has more downforce than a Speciale because of busier lines. You're saying it has more downforce and less busier lines, which is simply not true. You brought up downforce and made a contradicting remark. I am reiterating the downforce numbers for those who wish to compare. I could care less about arguing with you.

20. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Being a contributing member since 2007 is hardly trolling.

21. fuddman

fuddman Karting

Jan 11, 2015
    "The rear of the car is definitely its best feature ...."
    The same compliment they give Porsche. That conclusion may very well be accurate; but, given the $$$$ involved in making this car, it also implies, from an overall design standpoint, something is screwed up.

22. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    You have poor reading comprehension.

Another user said it looked like a 458 w a side vent. I said I disagreed but that Ferrari would likely be pleased w that sentiment because, at least to that guy, there was no added busyness save a side vent and 50% more downforce.

23. justthebest

May 14, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I'm messing with you, Ken.

I think you point out a legitimate contradiction.

24. F430 Driver

F430 Driver Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    I'll take your pre-order slot and if you can get your dealer to give it to me I'll give you 2 grand for it to boot you can put towards your 458!

25. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Since I have poor reading comprehension, i'll just quote you word for word.

"I disagree, but I bet they would be pleased overall with that sentiment. It means they were able to add 50% more downforce without making it look ridiculous and busy."

Aren't half the current post here about the 488 looking ridiculous and busy? It is clearly busier than a 458 Italia and probably equally, if not more, as busy as a Speciale. That's all I'm sayin.