Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918 | Page 649 | FerrariChat

Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by mpowered, Nov 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    For reals.

2. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Will it? I have understood LaFerrari is actually very well balanced and feels like a more powerful 458. All very refined. Very capable, yet very easy to drive. Of course, the limits of the general driver are much earlier reached than the limits of the car. So it could very well result in death, but this time, it is not the car trying to kill you.

3. LMFAO

LMFAO Karting
    BANNED

Feb 14, 2015
    There have been many Mycrofts. And besides... crap0rz a hous3!

4. LMFAO

LMFAO Karting
    BANNED

Feb 14, 2015
    Because that's what telemetry says. Wouldn't be 'hot lap', if it didn't use battery charge faster. Now continue to be confused.

5. LMFAO

LMFAO Karting
    BANNED

Feb 14, 2015
    Let me reconfirm. You bought a 918 and are concerned about devaluation, with it being an AWD hypercar. Too bad.

6. 330i

330i Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2006
  7. 330i

330i Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2006
  8. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    I couldn't agree more. Great post, I believe the key is the law of diminishing returns which can be proven in any sport, America's Cup yatching, major league baseball, motor-racing. You can get 80 - 90% of the usable speed from a sub $100k GT-R but for that little extra.............

9. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    So you jumped the shark by taking my reply to your Anglesey comment and re-directing to some totally specious argument regarding Laguna Seca laptimes.

A LMFAO moment for me.

btw, I read yesterday on some blog that NASA had purchased all and were evaluating them as Lunar rovers. Ron Dennis was quoted as stating "our P1 will be the first and only car to make it" He later amended this by adding "With a support crew and special tires". Porsche released 3 gazillon numbers to prove that it was the 918 that could complete the mission but since our reporter didn't have 3 PHD's it was all meaningless but did get the quote "Ve do not fink zees is verry funny but wiv our 4WD ve are verry confident that ours vill be za best". Ferrari engineers were too busy eating pasta and drinking La Lambrusco to comment.

Meanwhile LMFAO's legal team stated I may not have the smoking gun but I do have the telemetry.. "You want the truth, you can't handle the truth".

10. HoboPie

HoboPie Karting

Apr 16, 2004
    Damn. I love it.

11. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith

That looks amazing! Both versions! Great job Jim!

Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh in Geneva...

SV

12. unotaz

unotaz Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Dude, you do know that the Trofeo R on the P1 is NOT bespoke to the P1 right? You keep talking about bespoke tires this and that, but the fact of the matter is, the Trofeo R tire for the P1 is just a regular off-the-shelf tire. There is no MC1 or MC2 marking on the tire. I REPEAT, there is no MC designation on the Trofeo R tire.

13. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    This is how Laferrari should look like
    Jim your car looks better than Huayra, P1 and Laferrari, congratulation :D I hope for great NA W12 engine

14. Apolo1

Apolo1 Karting

Feb 10, 2015
    Missing the point, I accept that it will use the battery faster, but not at the rate you claim, also even if it did there would be no drop off in engine power......

Look forward to see the telemetry, taking into account you can expect the same engine performance (and therefore the same lap time) on the 2nd etc lap that you've described even though the battery SOC is lower.

In my time on track with MPSC2s, that's about 25 track days and V-max events. They take few laps and one dial down to give there best

15. rbcs

rbcs Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2014
  16. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #16216 Napolis, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We can do that for you no problem.

For racing P2's we suggest swapping in our TT V6 and then back as desired.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014

Actually I intended to post a while ago that it reminds one unofficial (fantasy) render of the Enzo successor.
    It is not so cohesive to me as the big 3 hypercars.(with the LaFerrari being the most striking design IMO)

In my book, it won't beat the P4/5 looks.
    Anyway, congrats to Jim for the launch of his new car.

18. LMFAO

LMFAO Karting
    BANNED

Feb 14, 2015
    #16218 LMFAO, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    What you do with fish is none of my business.

Porsche proved to be the better car for some parts of the long mission, but only for 2 minutes sadly.

Not what Bovingdon said on his Twitter feed and the MPSC2 on the 918 is certainly very bespoke.

I repeat, that's not what the lap times or telemetry show and MT experienced this issue the first time they tested the 918 too. The driving itself was very consistent in the 918, probably because it's easier to driver fast being AWD, but the acceleration traces on the straights told the story of battery depletion.

Relevant how? The tyres would have been warmed up prior to selecting HL and going for the hot lap.

19. boyko23

boyko23 Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2014
    Now Bovingdon is your island of truth? Lol
    What you "miss" to quote is "918 was faster" DOT

Btw, with every day, you get lost in your manipulation of facts. It's entertaining, so go on... :)

20. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    The road version is a really nicely designed car Jim, good work!
    have customers generally opted for a custom specification for the engine ?

21. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    The road version is a really nicely designed car Jim, good work!
    have customers generally opted for a custom specification for the engine ?

22. Darvelum

Darvelum Rookie

Sep 27, 2014
    Some of Bovingdon's tweets about the P1 vs. 918 test:

Glad the 918 v P1 has gone down so well. Re the great tyre debate. I'd say Cup 2/Corsas are pretty much equivalents. Trofeos more extreme.

Q: @JethroBovingdon How long did P1 batteries last on track?
    A: Did ok actually and never 'ran out', but got low. 918 amazing. Even when low, half a lap out of 'Hot Lap' and tons of charge again

Q: @JethroBovingdon With the 918 no changing tires, Best time possible? 1:11range as well? Come on jethro.. Finally which is fastest? Sametire*
    A: @PedroSolisCH I don't know. Trofeo is developed for P1 but very aggressive. A similar tyre on 918 would probably prove similar time saving.
    Q: @JethroBovingdon Why media cannot say that the 918 is faster on track? Why only the 0,2gap and not the definitive lap..Its a bit unfair? No?
    A:mad:PedroSolisCH We did. That was the gap. Get over it. The Porsche wins, be happy.
    Q:mad:JethroBovingdon But then Mclaren put better tires and goes faster as well.. So no winner finally! So.. Which is a better overall machine?
    @PedroSolisCH You heard what I said. I prefer the Porsche. P1 more suited to track, just. But not quicker except on sticky tyres.

23. xku807

xku807 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    John
    LaF and P1 look better IMHO - not digging those rear pontoon fenders. But congrats to Jim for building his own cars, nothing beats that. Will be rooting for his team in the races.

24. brau

brau Rookie

Jan 2, 2005
    not easy to make a good looking car when you don't copy one of Ferrari's most beautiful designs.
    I wonder if now he will say that other LMP's are copying him

25. LMFAO

LMFAO Karting
    BANNED

Feb 14, 2015
    #16225 LMFAO, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    Well unfortunately Bovingdon can only be trusted when he states fact, not opinion. He even contradicted his own opinions by saying the MPSC2 was stickier than PZCS in the video and then saying they were comparable on Twitter. See 7:20 in video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiyyO7vrdiI

So which is it Bovingdon? Stickier or comparable? Sure they're comparable and when you compare them, the MPSC2 is stickier.:D And when you run the tyres at cold street pressure on track, yes they'll wear fast.

918 Consistency
    http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-p1-f1/21713-p1-vs-918-a-37.html#post563250

http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-p1-f1/21713-p1-vs-918-a-37.html#post563306

P1 Consistency
    http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-p1-f1/21713-p1-vs-918-a-38.html#post563402

http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-p1-f1/21713-p1-vs-918-a-39.html#post563682

Other owners comments on P1 battery drain:
    http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-p1-f1/21713-p1-vs-918-a-37.html#post563178

http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-p1-f1/21713-p1-vs-918-a-40.html#post563914

PZCS is definitely not as fast as MPSC2 or MPSC+ and we know from another tyres test that MPSC2s are 2.4s quicker than MPSC+ on a 2 minute lap.

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 Launched - TyreReviews

So if Trofeo Rs are only 1.4s faster than PZCS on a 1:12 lap, then that calls into question CH's test. It might actually have been a little more convincing if he'd ran 2s slower than the 458S on MPSC2s and then equalled it on Trofeos, but 4s slower on MPSC2s just looks like sandbagging.

Nobody says the PZCS is even as good as the MPSC for grip!

Pirelli PZero Corsa vs Michelin Pilot Sport Cup

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup or Pirelli Pzero Corsa System - Subaru Enthusiast Forum - ScoobyNet.com

Michelin Sport Cup vs. Pirelli Corsa System - 6speedonline.com Forums

Pirelli PZero Corsa System | the Pirelli PZero Corsa System reviewed and rated - TyreReviews

So where does that put CH's test?

Trofeo R 1.4s quicker than PZCS. PZCS slower than MPSC. MPSC2 2.4s faster than MPSC+. But wait, Trofeo R 2s faster than MPSC2 and GT3 4s slower than 458S? Spot the BS.

So either way you play this, the P1 was faster on Anglesey. The PZCS vs MPSC2 difference is bigger than the MPSC2 Trofeo R difference that CH suggests, even if we hold that as gospel. So if you argue that the P1 should have won by more than 1.2s with Trofeo R, then the 918 sure as hell should have won by more than 0.2s when it was on PZCS, especially in hot lap mode. And wear wise you can see from the reviews that the PZCS is a million miles from its quoted tread wear rating (80) relative to the MPSC (60), whilst also vastly better in the wet than the MPSC or MPSC2. Unfortunately the above tests and reviews show that Bovingdon is completely wrong in saying they're comparable with MPSC2s.