Top 10 Ferrari books (vintage) | FerrariChat

Top 10 Ferrari books (vintage)

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 275GTBSaran, Feb 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Although a thread exists about Ferrari books it is more about new books on vintage and non-vintage coming to the market. I thought for someone interested in Ferrari, especially the vintage side- this is not interesting. I think the best books were all written a long time ago. I have over 70 books on vintage Ferrari and have narrowed the list to my Top 10 favorite books that were ever written. Warning: Some of them are out of print and expensive!

Vintage Ferrari: The best books -a personal view » Le Monde Edmond

Interested to hear your favorite books. What are you favorite books?

Best E

2. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    #2 johngtc, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    I'm pleased to say that I have eight out of your top 10 - and quite a few others as well!

A few observations:

I agree that Ferrari Berlinetta is a lovely book. I bought this when it was published. probably around 35 years ago and remember it was very expensive at the time. However, I have seen the odd copy at British shows for around £20 in the last year! I recall that the original volume contained a 'flyer' promoting the next in the series. I can't remember the subject but suffice to say it didn't appear. The publisher probably lost a lot on this project.

Although Hans Tanner wrote the first few editions of 'Ferrari' single handed, it is important to get the 6th edition (illustrated), to which Doug Nye contributed. Tanner was quite unwell when he wrote the previous edition and I am told it was a disappointment.

Jess Pourret's 250 GT Competition book was a revelation when it was published, as previously no one had attempted to provide comprehensive profiles of each individual vehicle. It was also very expensive at the time of publication. Much more information has been discovered in the past 35 years and an updated edition would be a delight.

One other book I would add, for the generalist, is Fitzgerald/Merrtit's 'Ferrari - the Sports and Gran Turisimo Cars'. Long out of print and much information is now known that was not available when the book was written but a good primer.

I am often surprised by some of the questions asked by posters on F-chat, as the answers can frequently be found in several of the most basic marque books. I realise that not everyone wants to collect a Ferrari library but surely any enthusiast would not have a problem with a $30 investment!

3. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    #3 275GTBSaran, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2015
    Thanks for your feedback- appreciated. Yes I agree with you, the downside of older books is that more information has come out since then and we actually need to revise many of the older books. But nice to hear that you have 8/10. Let me guess - the cute Japanese book is missing. I highly recommend this cute book. I often pick it up when I have 3-4 minute and leaf through it. The pictures are superb and the little pocket size is very practical. I think its the perfect gift for someone who loves vintage Ferrari.....

4. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    I love Keith Bluemel's book in which I gave him a tiny bit of help but somewhere between his manuscript and publication many mistakes were printed......It's sold extremely well so hopefully he will update it and rectify.

My favourite is still Kurt Miska's Lusso book which has become extremely rare in original form. It was published in both hardback and softback. I still have an original hardback edition but use to give one of the softback books with every Lusso I sold........ Now sadly I cant find any more but did see someone has done a modern copy.......

5. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    #1Ferrari Design of a Legend, Ft Belvedere Exhibit (unique) #2 Ferrari by Mailander ,Karl Ludvigsen (author) #3 The Ferrari ,Giannini, Rogliati(inside story) #4 Piloti Che Gente, Enzo Ferrari( by himself) #5 Opera Ommia Vol 1,2 &3 (if you want it all) #5 Ferrari The Sports and GT Cars by Fitzgerald etc.( general interest) #6 Ferrari Gauld Mine ,by G Gauld (behind the scenes) The Ferrari by Hans Tanner(because it's there) Ferrari 50 Years of Innovation, by K Ludvigsen ( author) These are from over 10 years of collecting of just over 900 books magazines, photographs and printed documents and files on 972 individual important s/n Ferraris of the period. These include all original Year Books 1951-1966,Time and Two Seats, Making a Difference, Complete Cavallino & Forza issues and more. I have given this collection a title,"Ferrari the Golden Years 1946-1966" More, particularly design drawings and photographs are being added.May I add my thanks to everyone on F Chat who has contributed to this effort. Regards tongascrew

6. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Some really great books in there.

I would add:

Luigi Orsini & Franco Zagari: La Scuderia Ferrari 1929-1939
    Angelo Tito Anselmi with Marcel Massini: Making a Difference
    Geoff Goddard and Doug Nye: Ferrari In Camera
    Joel E Finn: Ferrari Testa Rossa V-12

7. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Agreed. Except for the Zagari book I have all the other books you mentioned. The problem with these books are the following: They are very specific (ie Ferrari TR) or limited edition and very expensive (Ferrari in Camera) and not really intended for the 'normal' person building up a good Ferrari library. Ofcourse for a collector and connoisseur of Ferrari who has a good book collection these book s are also nice to have.

best Edmond

8. Ferrari_250tdf

Ferrari_250tdf Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    For me the books of Antoine Prunet are among the most important ones. Even if they only cover the years up to the mid 70s.

The Ferrari Legend: The Road Cars
    Ferrari: Sports Racing and Prototype Competition Cars

and with Peter Vann:
    Fantastic Ferraris

9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thank you all for your great suggestions. I enjoy building my Ferrari book collection and its always interesting to get new suggestions.

10. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    I looked for this on the web, found that it was 88 pages of his columns in Prancing
    Horse. I already have all the Prancing Horses, so I guess than I do not need this
    book.

11. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I have most issues from #35-176 and just a few of the early mimeographed ones.I hadn't made the PH connection with Graham Gould.Nice to have them all in one place.Thanks. BTW I found a collection of reprints of issues 1-10 on the internet. It came nicely presented,bound in a multi ring yellow soft cover binding but with no indication of how,when and where is was assembled.Any ideas? tongascrew

12. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    I have only photocopies of the early Prancing Horses. In the early days they sent out
    a few large photos --- real ones --- together with the printed sheets. I have mostly
    copies of the sheets, not the pictures, but I do have one or two early real Prancing Horses
    with the large photos.

So you should find out if 1-10 have pictures.

13. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    a little surprised at the absence of Merritt & Fitzgerald in this thread and on the published list.

14. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    Bryan Phillips

a little surprised at the absence of Merritt & Fitzgerald in this thread and on the published list.

I think etc = Merritt in #5 above

15. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    silly me; I searched for "Merritt" before posting, but he is an "etc." in that post!

16. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Number X two B&W 5X7 photos of P3 #14 and 1960 mid engine F1 car;Number IX two B&W 5X7 photos of 365 California and 4 3X5 photos of A Ferrari meet.#V11 Number V11 two 5 X7 B&W photos of 206 competition car,Number V1 two two 5X7 B&W photos of 206 and P2/3, Number V two 5 X 7 B&W photos of 330 GT; that" s all tongascrew

17. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    I remember but never witnessed the good old days of those spectacular events where
    they counted backwards.

Anyway, I looked at my collection and found pictures that I had later acquired from
    Kerry Chesbro.

X June 1966. Yep, P3 and mid engine Fi.
    Ads:
    #1175 $3,850 #1339 $4,450 # 3093 $5,500
    Leads: ... 1965 GTB ... $8,000 ... Two Lussos at $6,1000 etc,etc
    Ed Niles

IX May 1966. Yep 365 Spider and meet photos.
    For Sale: One of two Mondial Coupes # 0452MD Completely original Price ~ $3,500.
    I wonder if this now the Jon Shirley car?

VIII April 1966 Two photos of a 206 P car???
    For Sale '59 TR # 0768 Howard Musolf ... Must be the Pete Lovely car but he bought it later.
    275 Lm Like new, 800 miles, $17,500 asking.

VII March 1966. Two photos of 330 GTC. Photo of P3?with dog. P3? at gas station.
    For Sale 212Touring MM roadster. $5,000

VI Feb 1966. Three photos of Tom Meade modified cars???
    For Sale: #0993GT $3,850

GT Boano #0525. TR with 3.5 motor #0570
    Ralph Stefano
    Anchorage, Alaska

V Jan 1966 Two Photos: series 2 330 GT and 330 spider
    For Sale: TDF #0555, SWB #2521,1959 Cal Spider, 1960 GTO Station-wagon "breadvan"
    Gary L Wales

More tomorrow if I have the time and energy.

18. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Can you post these. Thanks tongascrew

19. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    Don't think so, the are marked copyright on the back.

20. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    #20 330gt, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Sometimes I've found that getting a book that is a collection of articles that I probably already have is still a worthwhile purchase, like with Sam Posey's new book. I have all the issues of Road & Track where Posey's articles appeared, but having his good writing all in one place was still enjoyable to read.

I certainly don't have all the issues of Prancing Horse that the articles in Gauld's book first appeared, but even if I did, I'd still get the book. I'm reading a little every evening, and thoroughly enjoying it. The only book author who was probably more of a Ferrari insider than Gauld was Franco Gozzi, and (not having read Gozzi's book), I'll bet that this one is rather more unbiased and may give the truest view of the Maranello scene during Enzo's years in power. I recommend it to all true Ferrari fans.

22. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    Subtitled: A Lifetime Collecting , Restoring & Racing the Rarest Italian Automobiles
    Jan 2014, Eau Rouge Publishing

The best I've read in a long time. Gives the real flavour of the European old car obsession from Paul's youth to date.
    Get it, you won't regret the purchase.

23. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    I have this book as well. But it does not qualify as a top 10 book in my opinion. It is a nice book to have in addition from the point of view of a collector which is always insightful and interesting. But if you want to learn about vintage Ferrari models and history other books come before this one.

24. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #24 Mang, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had no idea...I have this book, you can see condition in the photo, of the cover anyway, book is like new inside, barely touched. It's worth how much? $1,500. duckets?? Really?

Mine for sale :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I have this and have read much of it.It is a MUST. The author starts from the time he was a teenager and was intimately involved with Ferrari and some ot the other great constructors of the post WWII period. There are a few controversial issues surrounding his collecting.Nothing really unusual.His story telling is what makes this volume stand out.Don't miss this one.tonga's crew