New Ford GT | Page 8 | FerrariChat

New Ford GT

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by atomicskiracer, Jan 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    Unfortunately I'd bet you're right. Regardless of the price.

2. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  3. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Back in 1957 Multimatic was actually the original name of the big Canadian parts supplier Magna. They changed their name to Magna in 1967.
    Today Multimatic is run by the son of one of the early Magna employees...

4. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
  5. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Jalopnik reporting only 250 will be made per year for 3 years. First ones not until next year sometime. Price is ~400k US.

6. rkrenek

rkrenek Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2003
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I think Ford will have a hard time selling this car at that price.

7. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I find that hard to believe. Roughly the same ballpark price as the new 488 and way more exclusive. I bet they all sell out and are impossible to get without a connection.

8. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    I think they will easly sell out. Less than 750 cars total.

The price of 2005 and 2006 will rise in lockstep.

9. silver1331

silver1331 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2009
    i think they will sell out and trade above ask pretty quickly for early delivery. Lamborghini sells 1k aventadors a year...ford will sell 1k total (or less)

10. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    No one will.get one without paying 10% premium. Will touch $500k and will still go up from there. Wish i could make a bet with any of the doubters

11. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    I think the actual number built will be closer to 1000. Hoping to procure one to match my '05.

12. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Not a chance. I will buy one if I am able to at the 400K figure (thats a fantasy- they will go for MUCH more than that). With only 1000 being produced the cars prices will rival original Shelby Cobra money in a few years. Think 1,000,000 dollar Ford in a few years.

13. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    +1 they'll mark it up/put to market price. I would think they're basing the number on preliminary interest and deposits.

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Well letss ee how good it really is. Since it sbeing developed as a race car I assume really good, but they will not blink in compronmsing it as a street car. If it wins races, and it probably will its instant instant classic.

Whats the model for ford, build only 250- per year for 400k, or can you build 1500 per year for 250k. Whats more profitable, can there be economy of scale, what makes the best halo..

My guess is two factors at play. Ford was probably extremly uncertain about how many +300k cars thye could sell with the ford badge,first sounds from ford were 200k per copy, theyw ere testing waters. It also may be way cheaper to tool to build only 250 cars per year.

Countering this is it must appear to ford by now that they cah sell a lot of these cars at 250-300k, and it costs the same to devlop in terms of epa dot 1 car as 10,000. So can the tooling and production facilities handle more, if alfa can build 2500 4cs per year, ford shoudl be able to give us more than 250Gts. maybe they just dont want to. Send your letters in now so they change their mind,

15. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    I'm not disagreeing but an added observation: max Height of rear wing is prescribed by rule book. Otherwise every car would run huge struts like the pioneering Chapparells pushing way up into undisturbed air. Location and shape of wing is designed in conjunction with the rest of the body but is always a compromise driven by the rule book maximum.

16. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    One would hope that they would use the 3 years to catchup with BMW so they can actually mass produce cf cars.

It will still be a special car, and valuable, but I would hold off on the 1m target. If Ford is smart, then they will have a great product behind this that they might actually make money on.

Of course, if they win everything with this thing, then who knows what that will do to the value.

17. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    Oh I dunno. I think the shark was jumped on engine noise when BMW and Aston began tuning the exhaust as a discreet design element complete with hidden speakers to electronically achieve the right vintage noises. I keep wondering when the aftermarket will start to offer systems that plug into ecu and let the owner opt for whichever sound nostalgia requires! (Maybe a switch that let's you toggle on between 426 hemi or 4L Colombo depending on mood?)

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    First example of this was the movie the graduate. Aparently they overlayed a v8 on the alfa for a mix sound to get it just right.

19. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    To be competitive, it must be priced at 458 levels or lower. This is going to be the first American car, able to compete with high end European cars. Out of the American manufactures, Ford is the best company, period.

20. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    People said that about the last GT as well, take a look at 360 prices compared to the GTs.

21. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    To be competitive with what exactly? I think there are enough lovers of Ford and speculators (because of the price of the 05-06 GT) that they aren't really looking to directly compete with the 488/650s/Hurican. That means that while it may perform at those cars level, they can price it above that level.

Still think they should do a TT V8 instead of a V6 and bump power to the 700 range. Then a 400k price would make more "sense". 600ish horsepower means they have to rely on something other than the car. That was the nice thing about the previous car, at its price, performance level and volume, it didn't need to make any excuses.

22. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    The enthusiast's must stamp it with approval before the Ford lovers and speculators will fall for it. Its Ford, not Ferrari!

23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Low projected sales numbers, an out the box design that moves the game forwards, fords prior cred at lemans and this cars futire racing sucess, yeah they can sell 750 cars for 400k a pop. I bet they have a wait list already.

24. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    I think you underestimate the Ford lovers that are out there and their pocket books.

The last GT has become a smashing success and Ford can also ride that wave. Guys are already chomping at the bit to get in line.

On top of that, lots of car guys are not brand snobs and with todays engineering and manufacturing, its hard to make a bad supercar. Unless you are Lexus and spend 10 years building an engineering exercise that is ugly and an average performer with an excessive price tag.

25. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    This car will wipe its ass with a Speciale much less a 458. Ferrari has NOTHING to compare unless you get to the uber rare LaFerrari and such.