massive heist of John Andrews' Ferraris | Page 9 | FerrariChat

massive heist of John Andrews' Ferraris

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by VisualHomage, Dec 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    In another world, sometimes you'll see a farmer who lives alone (or with elders) who finally gives up working. He sells a little land here, and a little land there to pay some bills and taxes over time...then one day he cracks and starts ranting about how "someone" STOLE HIS LAND!

At some level it is sad. Anyone who takes the rant seriously, however, can cause grief to the legitimate new land owners. They didn't steal the land, yet they have to defend their purchases to the local townsfolk.

They are the real victims.

2. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    :) I read it through again. What a f****d up mess! I like the part about Charles Manson and his borrowing of Brian Wilson's Ferrari, and the massive junk piles and garbage, and the psychedelic 250SWB dashboard! And all of the inconsistent and bizarre allegations--it's like walking through a hallucination!

3. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    If you'd like some more lore about the cast of characters here, watch this interview with Matthew Ettinger--friend of John Andrews. Back in the late 1960s, Ettigner had a nightclub/bar called "The Plush Bunny." John Andrews (the eccentric hoarder) walked in one night looking for a "job" (but keep in mind Andrews already had a job at Boeing as an engineer). So Ettinger hired John as a bartender! Matthew also owned the Ferrari Breadvan and was introduced to Tom Meade via Andrews (who knew Tom).

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvHBH-lqwno]Stephen Mitchell interviews Matthew Ettinger - YouTube[/ame]

4. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Probably covered elsewhere in the thread, but the introduction came through Dennis Wilson (Brian's brother). Dennis was equally crazy - well documented. The story is so strange that it was alleged the attack at Polanski's Cielo Drive home was targeted because the house was once owned by Terry Melcher (Doris Day's son), who worked with the Beach Boys / Dennis Wilson. Melcher spurned Manson's desire to have his music published, produced, recorded...whatever.

No real way to prove that, but nonetheless part of the sordid history of the Beach Boys.

5. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

There needs to be men from Mars in this story. Those guys from Mars love Ferraris.

6. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Mars needs guitars, not cars. :D

7. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    That's how the legend goes from now I understand it, too. Manson's posse arrives at the Cielo Drive house thinking Melcher is there but the house had since been rented out to Polanski and Melcher no longer lived there. But Manson's loyal murderers hit the house anyway. So you can say Sharon Tate and the hair dresser died of mistaken identity.

8. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Absolutely. And to think the preface to it is Dennis Wilson picks up 2 hitch hikers that happen to be part of Manson's clan. Next thing you know, they are hanging with him...he makes the intro to Melcher and the rest is (unfortunate) history. Sad.

Dennis never really spoke about it again. He was interviewed by prosecutors, and one can imagine the guilt he felt. This article suggests Manson knew Melcher moved on, but I've heard otherwise. It's too coincidental:

Mark Dillon: Dennis Wilson and Charles Manson | National Post

9. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    Yes it's makes you wonder doesn't it? That horrific outcome could have possibly been averted had that initial contact with Wilson(s) never occurred. Next thing you know Manson is driving their Ferrari. Evil knows no bounds.

10. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I for one miss Steve's posts here.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    he messed with the popular "in" crowd, a shame.

12. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    After this long who remembers, or really cares about the reason?

13. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    Yes he told a great story.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    if you are protecting the in crowd and don't mind it happening again you could say that.

15. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    You think that's what I'm saying?

I was sorry when he left and sorry that he's still gone.

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yes.

17. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    From those few posts I read at the end, of the thread it seems that some of the cars were indeed advertised and that others have proof that they paid for them. So does it all come down to a hoarder that has so many things he frankly can't remember what he sold and what he didn't? I am dealing with a hoarder now and they are, as a group ( I don't think they have a lobby) very evasive because they think THEY (whoever THEY are) want to take their things away.

I do business in Riverside near Moreno Valley and am willing to go to the Press Enterprise and see if there was ever a story on this alleged multi-million heist but I have no idea what year to ask them to look up. When did the big heist take place?

I am glad that the 166 coupe is not one of the ones alleged stolen as I am doing a little profile on that car and would be glad to hear from anyone who knows the history of that car.

Finally this is a general question regarding hoarders who hoard cars (a specialized breed). I use as an example Dr. Carr of the UK who hoarded a Bugatti tip 57 for 30-40 years. How does one approach these characters to rescue that treasure. My theory is to roll up with a pickup truck with a trailer, the cash, an instrument of sale that can do as a title transfer, a witness to witness the transfer, and a video camera to record the entire sale including them signing off ownership. I am not trying to steal anyone's treasure, it's just when they get as deep in hoarding as Andrews they aren't doing themselves any favors--they might need the cash just to pay the taxes on their land/home.

18. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Crackheads have ripped $30,000 worth of copper gutters off homes that I have built and did another $30,000 in damage doing so. They end up at the scrap metal place where they get $400 or $500 for it.

19. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    #219 kare, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    Believe it or not, the bonnet and trunk lid of a Swedish Boano were stolen long ago by a gang that sold tons of stolen lids for scrap.

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That has been printed more than once, it was also mentioned in the story line of Gram Parsons, and the Burrito Brothers.

All were neighbors, involved in the music business.
    It WAS a message Manson sent to Melcher, IMO...

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No, they knew it was rented.

22. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Same here. What was his screen name? I've forgotten. (Along with a lot of other important stuff:)).

23. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Krasnavian.

I only remembered it after checking my PMs. He was the first to PM me.

24. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Oh, yeah.....thanks.

25. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    You would think that with the theft of so many valuable cars
    that would merit a story in the local newspaper which is the Press-Enterprise.
    I haven't gone down to their office yet but
    usually Google would point a direction, just as if you
    google "English Lord claims Ferraris stolen" you find that story
    from England about Lord Brockett.

At least the 166 belonging to Jack Croul seems to be not one of
    the cars alleged taken, so I am assuming at one time cars in the Andrews collection were legitimately bought and sold.