Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918 | Page 669 | FerrariChat

Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by mpowered, Nov 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boyko23

boyko23 Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2014
    In all fairness, last laps aren't relevant in my opinion (down in tempo, going to pits, etc...)

The important thing is the CONSEQUENCE of the laps and LACK of any evidence for 3 consecutive laps in a row... :)

2. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    #16702 BusDriver, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    The McLaren P1 remains one of the quickest production cars ever made, and a staggering achievement for McLaren.

Everybody would be applauding the P1's Nordschleife time, if Ron Dennis had not promised "under 7 minutes" based on recording 6:36 on McLaren's simulator. Even Ferrari's best, the 599XX only managed 6 seconds better (6:58) than the P1 despite being on slicks, and being a track-only car.

3. supermafy

supermafy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2013
    Rome (it)
    Maybe not, because lafe is "bisex " it charges what accelerates and brakes too

4. Johnny_Bravo

Johnny_Bravo Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2012
    You guys mentioned a LaF lap at Anglesey..........Any recent news on that ?

5. vlad0

vlad0 Karting

Sep 11, 2013
    Hm..

So let's say instead of going for one hot lap, they go for a short race distance.. say.. 5 laps around Laguna Seca.. I wonder which car would come on top, and by what margin.

6. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    LaFerrari on the distance

7. Whoopsy

Whoopsy Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2012
    Vancouver, BC

You must have missed the last million posts in this thread haha

'Race mode' is a integrated function of the P1, they are not interested in NOT using it.

Without Race mode, the P1 would be in even more disadvantage, that function was to lower the higher Cg to respectable level and to increase the ground effect downforce.

But while Hot Lap mode is also a integrated function of the 918, the cultists are hell bend on NOT letting the 918 use that.

Almost like running against Usain Bolt but forbid him from using both legs to run.

I actually don't mind magazines/testers running the 918 in Race Hybrid mode, the forever mode. On the Ring in a slower pre-production car it's about 4-5 seconds difference, extrapolate that to a shorter track like LS, the difference might be around 0.8 second or so, would have been more embarrassing for the P1 if they can't even beat the time set by the 918 in Race Hybrid mode.

8. 330i

330i Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2006
    Btw...take a look at the banter on Twitter today between Carlos Lago (Motor Trend), Jethro Bovingdon (Evo) and Chris Harris on the same Motor Trend 918 vs P1 article we are discussing here... Funny...

9. Argosy

Argosy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2013
    BTW, Motor Trend made their laps telemetry public and it shows that, surprise surprise, a certain someone lied about P1 being more consistent over x number of laps :D

10. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Lets face it...McLaren is a highly accomplished but small company and they would fit inside the paint booth of the Porsche Cayenne assembly line....Ron was rather stupid to underestimate the competition..The car is a rehashed 12C with a modified drivetrain and bodywork and they had to work within those parameters due to limited financial means

11. Whoopsy

Whoopsy Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2012
    Vancouver, BC

Hope you have a flame suit on. Those cultists will flame you to death mentioning the P1 is a modified 12C.

Trust me I know :)

12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Seriously...When will we hear more about this?

13. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Andrew

We're moving to The Ring soon for testing for our first race there at the end of the month.

Bring your La and I'll have one of our Drivers do a lap and you will then know just how fast a La is around the Ring.

This is the way questions are answered.

Same goes for any P1 owners.

We already know 918's time.

14. ajjers

ajjers Karting

May 27, 2014
    Where are Peleton and Mark Antar in all this? After all their harping about knowing the P1's ring time and how amazing it was they're nowhere to be seen. Just LMFAO/emu/Mycroft/MugabeRobert sitting in front of a computer in his Union Jack underwear raging against the dying of the light. Sad times.

15. ajjers

ajjers Karting

May 27, 2014
    Matt seems to have stopped posting so no news there. I suspect that Ferrari have told Evo that they couldn't post the time. Perhaps they want to go to Anglesey with full factory support and set an even better time. More likely they think if they let Evo publish it will give the other magazines carte blanche to go round testing customer cars at will. All very sad especially as it looks like the Top Gear test won't be happening any time soon.

Porsche have come out of this smelling like roses.

16. unotaz

unotaz Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #16716 unotaz, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    As my Porsche source was telling me regarding the Motor Trend comparison, they had a pretty easy afternoon after the 918 set the initial bench mark time. They kept waiting and waiting in the pit lane, wondering if they were going to go out again should the P1 bested the 918's time. They were also expecting 918's time can be improved with a few more additional tweak to the tire pressure.

But they were never under the pressure to go out again....

17. CarMaven

CarMaven Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Makes sense.

And looking at the data from Motor trend again: Wow! So Porsche actually had one record lap attempt vs McLaren's three, and eight total laps as the initial Motor Trend article indicated.

Porsche's last lap on the above chart was so good, I originally read as their second record attempt. LOL. They actually just had one, then waited as many of us originally thought and gathered from the Motor Trend article.

So it was actually the McLaren, and it's battery that had the hard time trying to put down record laps and build up/keep a charge at Laguna Seca?? This is not really a surprise based off of what Jethro Bovington tweeted regarding their 918 vs P1 comparo, and the state of the P1's battery charge in comparison.

Oh My! Some folks were telling tall tales to us indeed.

18. unotaz

unotaz Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #16718 unotaz, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    That is incorrect, the 918 went out a few sessions in the morning. The P1 did spend a lot more laps out at the track than the 918, as you can imagine, trying to best the 918's benchmark time.

The data from MT just proves that both the P1 and 918 went through the proper battery charging lap and none of the 3 laps nonsense. The 918 never ran on the LS track in Race mode since the head to head comparison was about who is the absolutely fastest around a track, not who is the fastest in a 10 lap race. Even if 918 ran under Race mode, the delta difference at LS would be well under a second as indicated by my Porsche contact and this would be consistent performance lap after lap.

Another interesting thing that I learned from my Porsche contact is that if this was a 10 lap race, the fastest way, and have the most consistent lap times, is to alternate between Hot Lap and Race mode during the lap (Hot Lap between turn 11 to turn 1, turn 5 to turn 7, Race Mode in the rest). If one did that, the delta difference should be around 0.5s (from 918's fastest lap), but it would maintain the battery lap after lap and produce fast consistent lap times.

19. Apolo1

Apolo1 Karting

Feb 10, 2015
    Wonder just how the sales would have gone if this test and it data, ect has come out 12 months ago........Lol

20. boyko23

boyko23 Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2014
    Thanks!
    Can you confirm, that this is the number of laps made for each vehicle on that day?

21. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    There is no substitute!

That said Ron Dennis better stop talking smack about the P1 and fix that other disaster known as the McL F1 team.

22. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Right you are.

23. CarMaven

CarMaven Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    So you're saying the info that was posted was incorrect, and Porsche didn't make one record attempt along with the three other laps for a total of four as been posted? Cause that's what I was talking about.

I tried to find the document on MT's website myself, but hadn't/couldn't so far.

Thanks in advance for any follow up and/or clarification Unotaz (as well as the info and experiences you normally provide).

24. Westview

Westview Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2014