No Top Gear - This sucks! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

No Top Gear - This sucks!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by drsrock, Mar 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    New episode tonite w italian road trip was great. Matching orange huracan and 650s

2. R5Turbo2

R5Turbo2 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 14, 2014

Yeah, but they gonna have to teach him that crossing double yellows on public roads is not cool.

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

How do they make money on youtube. How does Harris income stream work?

4. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    why don't they just give him a massive fine, $1 million or so. Even sue him, but let the program stay on it must earn massive money.

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    True, it would be a format shift.

But, I don't think you can plug anyone directly into Clarkson's role and maintain the same formula. He re-created TG way back when. I think it would survive and thrive with another transformation. Better than doing what the US TG tried -- directly copying the British recipe, and feeling chronically contrived.

6. drsrock

drsrock Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Colts Neck, NJ
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #56 drsrock, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    Nice Job!
    I bet my friend a buck that with just a little prodding, you would go off on a hate filled rant.

Amazing how a leftist, in any discussion, will always resort to insults, and personal attacks instead of a humorous, and witty comebacks. So you are clear - what I meant with my "insult" of a "kid" was to point out your naïve, and misguided views. Last time I looked "lowlife" was an actual insult kiddo.

Do yourself a favor - go on youtube, and watch a bunch of TopGear episodes, get a sense of humor,. Educate yourself about the reason people here, and the Million who signed the petition are upset about. Understand that if you love fast, loud, unapologetically over the top powerful cars, your world is under assault from the PC, 25 MPH crowd. We will wait for you to get back to this discussion. It might take a while for you to get back to us though - with the new citywide 25MPH speed limit and all! You must really enjoy driving your Prius in that.

BTW if you actually own one of the F cars, congratulations. Sorry for the inaccuracy. I just do not care about you to look. If you were smart enough to actually buy one, there's hope for you yet.

7. drsrock

drsrock Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Colts Neck, NJ
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Bring all 3 of them here to the colony! There is no place for such a thing in Britain!

Britain is not big enough for the unchecked wealth, and privilege of both Clarkson and the Royals!

TopGear Must GO!!!

Britain hates Jeremy Clarkson's unchecked wealth and privilege - Business Insider

8. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
  9. JWeilan

JWeilan Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    I'm not missing it...with the exception of the LaFerrari episode, this season has sucked.

10. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    loved the Italian road trip with huracan/macca and f type/m4. I totally disagree with criticism that they don't give legit car info and its just entertainment. I feel they have the best subjective reviews of anyone incld chris harris. they just don't waste time giving you the same info you could get from owners manual.

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    #61 BMW.SauberF1Team, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    You can monetize your video with ads on YouTube. It's based on how many viewers and channel subscribers you have. It can add up quickly if you have tons of subscribers that are more likely to watch all of your new videos than having very few subscribers randomly finding your videos.

It won't work for those using Ad Blockers, which I use so I don't see any YouTube ads. That's how the /Drive channel was losing out on money and ended up making /Drive+, which is a subscription-based channel (Chris Harris left after that).

For /Drive, they made £4,800 with 2 million views on their F40-F50 video and £9,200 with their P1 video getting 3.6 million views. That was 55% of the money the videos made with 45% going to Youtube. So like 1/3 of a US cent per viewer? You'd need 300 viewers to make $1 at that rate. Source: http://www.pistonheads.com/regulars/ph-chrisharris/pay-per-view-ph-blog/30564

There's a young guy on YouTube that does car reviews on basically any vehicle, new or used, but focuses on the features and options. It's not a test drive-based format or performance stat one. He has 650k+ subscribers with close to 300 million views. 7 million views the last 9 days made him anywhere from $65 to $1k. It's hard to say how much as ad lengths pay different amounts if someone watches the entire thing. Saabkyle04 YouTube Stats, Channel Statistics - Socialblade.com He paid for his pharmacy school, house, and cars with the money he made from it.

12. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    The fact of the matter is, Clarkson is Top Gear! - Take Clarkson away from Top Gear and all you'll be left with is yet another mediocre car show that fails to entertain.

Really? - You honestly think Chris Harris could carry a whole episode (let alone a whole season), of Top Gear and keep it as entertaining as Clarkson does?

Reality check:

Chris Harris is a superb driver and comes across pretty well when describing cars from behind the wheel (although he does tend to forget to talk whilst driving in a lot of his videos, and ums and ahs far too much when he realises he needs to say something).

But he lacks the personality required to carry the show when he's out of the car.

Clarkson brings an element of comedy to the programme when he's doing the studio sections, and he continues this trait when he's doing his talk-overs for the recorded parts.

He has a way of describing things in a humorous way that tells you exactly what you need to know in a very simple manner, and he does it so naturally.

There's no way on this planet that Chris Harris could be as entertaining out of the car, and that would put a lot of viewers off watching.

The thing that has made Top Gear so popular around the World is that it is an entertainment show first, and a motoring programme second.

Because of this, it attracts viewers who may not necessarily be car enthusiasts, but they enjoy the entertainment created by the chemistry of the three presenters.

Chris Harris (or anybody else for that matter), simply wouldn't have the same comedic, entertaining interaction with May and Hammond as Clarkson does (and it's a moot point anyway because if Clarkson goes, May and Hammond will walk away too!).

Why is Top Gear USA so lame? - Well one big reason is because the presenters lack the personality of the British Top Gear crew, and the biggest personality of them all is Clarkson.

Why do all of the other car programmes seem to disappear after a couple of seasons? - Because they're just not entertaining enough!

For the BBC, Jeremy Clarkson is like Dr Frankenstein's monster! - They think they can control him but they can't!

In a World of shrinking violets, Clarkson is a man who is still prepared to speak his mind, give his opinion on the World and not worry too much if it upsets people (and a lot of the time, he say's out loud what the rest of us are thinking to ourselves but are too afraid to say anyway!).

With this latest situation, the BBC has got itself in a right mess!

They want to show Clarkson that they're in control, and that he is not bigger than the corporation!

However, at the same time, they know that to do that, they may well end up killing the goose that lays the golden egg!

Top Gear makes hundreds of Millions of Pounds for the BBC and chances are, they're about to lose all of that revenue overnight by making an example out of Clarkson! - Damned if you do - Damned if you don't!

The funniest part of all of this is that if they do decide to drop Clarkson, they will lose Top Gear, they will lose Millions of Pounds, they will be damned by a large portion of the public, and Jeremy Clarkson will not really be that affected by it or bothered about it, one little bit!

The fact of the matter is: The BBC need Jeremy Clarkson far, far more than Jeremy Clarkson needs the BBC!

If you've never read any of Clarkson's books, I can highly recommend them! - They make for great reading on all manner of topics! (and not just cars!)

13. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    Jul 26, 2014 - According to CBS's 60 Minutes, "Top Gear's" unique storytelling method and irreverent attitude helped the show generate 350 million viewers a week worldwide, as well as a place in the Guinness Book of World Records as the most-watched "factual" TV program.

Top Gear is not going anywhere. Period. He will be back. $$$ speaks and people (not Jeremy) will cave and he knows it.
    Just GOOGLE: "Most watched show in the World" and see the search results. From 2012--2014 Top Gear is in the Guinness Book of WR. Top Gear will simply not function the same without him. You can't just replace the 3rd musketeer and expect the same results. It's like Berkshire Hathaway without Warren Buffett, or VanHalen without David Lee Roth....I mean sure Hagar could fill in, but it's just not the same and things slide South.
    He'll be back and when he does return, he'll make cracks about the whole deal during the show just to stir up the water.

14. Milanno

Milanno Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2012
    Clarkson had numerous incidents, but BBC always covered him. Question is, why is BBC making internal incident public this time, and probably dropping off Clarkson. Did they waited for his next wrong move?

TopGear is losing big time without Clarkson, but what if BBC have new guy that is younger (fresh blood) and even more aggressive in a way that he will even make fun of Clarkson in new TopGear episodes. That would be big switch in this whole situation, because BBC have access to millions of viewers through their program, and Clarkson on other side is alone now so his voice will be pretty much silent.

This sounds incredibly silly, but I`ve seen similar scenarios where bad boy tried to play naughty games over and over again with big players. It never ended well for bad boy :D

15. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I hear you, Chris Harris isn't the next Jezza. But, while I still watch every episode, the fact is that TG isn't as fresh and original as it was. I'd prefer more focus on cars and less on turning caravans (campers) into airplanes, etc. The "Hammond rescue" episode this season was the first time I've really laughed during the show for quite some time, but in general the best have been episodes like the "Exotics under 10,000 pounds/race to the lap dancing club in Slough" and the "best driving roads". Harris as Clarkson? No, but give him a couple of guys to banter with and it might be better than you think.

16. drsrock

drsrock Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Colts Neck, NJ
    Full Name:
    Alex

Perfect summary of the situation!
    Well put.

17. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    On bicyclists. Yes he loathes them. Very humorous episode supposedly about saving bicyclists but in fact making fun of them. Hardest I have laughed in a long time.

18. Super_Dave

Super_Dave Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Top Gear absolutely, positively needs Clarkson or it will fall dramatically and hard.

Chris Harris would be a massive, massive failure on Top Gear. I really enjoy his videos, but he isn't a comedian and would not be able to carry what is essentially a variety show, the way Clarkson does.

If Clarkson doesn't make it back on Top Gear, it might be the single biggest payday of his career, if he decides to monetize the fan base elsewhere. That said, May and Hammond are critical to him too -- I actually don't think Clarkson would be nearly the success he is without them. With all their contracts coming up, this could get interesting.

19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Clarkson has quite good programs without the other two (James as well), so he'll be fine. If Clarkson moves to make a new Top Gear for hopefully Net Flix, I'm almost 100% sure Hammond and May will come with.

20. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    #70 Voda, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    #71 Voda, Mar 18, 2015
  22. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    #72 Voda, Mar 18, 2015
    Or maybe they could add a car care section with Jeremy sitting back and directing things. I think that they could detail one of the cars tested each episode and it wouldn't get old. Yeah, I like that idea.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    BRING BACK TIFF!

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Hrad for harris to make aliving at it then, considerign time and prod costs.