What I learned from my recent speeding ticket....BEWARE | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What I learned from my recent speeding ticket....BEWARE

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by SCKOMS, Apr 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #26 Rifledriver, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015

And tax laws.

When laws are generally viewed as just, most people comply. The more unjust they are viewed the lower the compliance rate until a point is reached where compliance with all laws starts to drop off. I believe that was a big part of why prohibition was done away with. It turned most Americans into scofflaws and made us more ready to accept all sorts of unlawful behavior.

As an ex Californian that progression was rampant there. All the U Hauls are headed east from there.

It costs 2 1/2 times as much to take a U Haul from California to Texas as it costs to take a U Haul from Texas to California. U Haul is desperate to get inventory back west.

There are more people moving to Texas from Illinois than from California.

2. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Many long time or life long California companies too.

Driving around Texas I see a lot of familiar company signs here.

3. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Yep, Houston is bursting at the seams. Price we pay for a great job market. Traffic sucks but home values are up!

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    When Toyota left California the Mayor of whichever city they were in held a news conference and said essentially "I don't blame them".

Hell of a thing for a mayor to say about an important employer.

Sorry for the derail but I think it all speaks to the dumb things governments do to generate income or just exercise more control and quality of life takes a hit as a result.

5. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Look, it's common knowledge that the speed limit should be set at the speed at which 85% of drivers drive a road...ask a traffic engineer...

However, that would limit opportunities for govt to steal.

Good point about the self driving cars tho...until the FCC declares them a telco and takes em over

6. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C

Can we make that " Dumb Liberal Governments" please?

I don't see any problems in TX...LOL

7. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Man my jaw dropped several times reading this thread. WTF??

And yeah if they want to impose stricter punishments then the speed limits definitely need to go up. 55 mph limit on the highways, again, WTF??

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That's redundant don't you think?

9. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    The way it is, EVERYONE is breaking the law and cops can choose their victims at whim, when they don' t like your face or when they don't like your car.

10. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/chicago/403806-goodbye-illinois.html

Ask Spike how he is doing.

Me? Worked for an IL based company (Palos Hills then Des Plaines) for 28 years 1980 through 2008. Just 60 years old now - a spring chicken. Still nothing good to express about IL.

I'll do d*mn near anything (like take the LONG way around through Louisville, KY, or Michigan's Upper Peninsula) to stay the hell out of ILLinois and that includes Midway/O'Hare. You can have it.

11. ScreaminRevs

ScreaminRevs Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    People in this thread are unknowingly using the term "driving"; unless you're engaged in commerce (moving people or goods in exchange for money) you're simply traveling. And according to the U.S. Supreme Court (along with many state supreme courts) the right to travel shall not be restricted. There is tons of case law on this.

Hiring an attorney - one who is a member of the BAR - is fruitless; his first duty is to the court. As someone previously mentioned the whole system is one gigantic scam swindling billions every year from citizens who've no clue that what they're doing (i.e. traveling, without harming anyone/anything) by exceeding some fictitious limit is defintely not illegal.

From what I can ascertain we're relinquishing our very rights by signing our drivers licenses (which, incidentally we don't need, unless we're actually driving); although they've no right to request or force us to give up the very rights they're rescinding when we do sign it.

Any attoryneys, especially with constitutional specialization, please feel free to comment.

12. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al

More like didactic than redundant IMO.

I got caught driving I-95 from FL through Hopewell, VA in Feb doing 80 in a 70, keeping up with traffic flow and driving in the far right lane. Hell, people were Passing me. Unbeknownst to me, that's a famous stretch of road to shakedown taxpayers for more revenue.

Fine and points, no lawyer as I didn't want to contest at 9am in a court hundreds of miles from home.

Read this:

http://wtop.com/virginia/2015/02/time-shut-virginia-speed-trap-towns/

Sent via itty bitty electrons

13. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    The have to keep them prisons filled with someone.
    Make stiffer laws to make more people go to jail...yep that's america.

Home of the free! one in four people in the world imprisoned are Americans.

Privately owned prisons is the really scary part of this country today!

14. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Karting

Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Bluff, IL
    Full Name:
    David Brown
    State police were nailing people at O'hare the other day near the departure / arrival entrance split where the limit is 25. They were seriously working multiple cars with a laser spotter at 7:00 a.m. Be careful out there. They want your wallet..... That serve and protect motto went out with the 80's.....

15. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    That is the worst speed limit, I can't believe it is 25mph.. Everyone is doing 70

16. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
    proud of that are you, you should have been jailed...

you really can't be serious.

see above I quoted and then read your comment again and realize it's fallacy, jail time for being a completely irresponsible driver seems more than appropriate.

news flash people, drive reasonable and responsibly and none of these legal issues won't be a problem.

17. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I was doing 115 in a Golf R32 in Montana a few years ago. Slowed to 90ish, then saw statey coming the other direction. He turned around, I stopped.....

$40 cash on the spot, sign the form, continue on my way. That Golf was a great car....

18. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F

19. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    #44 JP365, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    Was that in a rural area during the daytime? From what I remember, speeding at night in Montana is a huge fine. Something to do with rural areas and livestock iirc. Of course, I haven't been through Montana since the mid 1990s so a lot has probably changed.

20. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    You really can't be serious.
    Ever tried to drive at 55 on 294 when entire traffic around you (including semis) races around you at 75-80?
    Holding your breath and hoping not to be rear ended by one of them?
    Nothing but a scam and revenue maker for the State.......

21. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    I guess I should be glad I have a slow Ferrari.

22. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    So true. Even in the right lane one needs to be doing at least 65 in self defense.
    I've been passed, a lot, on the southern end of 355 by cars that I know are doing triple digits.
    I don't mind if people want to drive fast as long as they pay attention, have air in their tires and maneuver smoothly through slower traffic. It's the ones who make a spectacle of themselves that ought to be jailed. Better yet just allow the cop to throw their keys as far as he can.

23. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    I recently got popped for 90mph in a 55mph zone, $435 just wrote the check and handed it to the court clerk. The disabled veteran plates on my car did nothing to help me .... Lol
    You can always dream ;)
    Oregon law now is over 100mph, impound the car and arrest the driver ..... Thinking they might call this wreck less driving.

24. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Agreed.

25. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Crooks. However, IMO if you are hiring an attorney and the officer has no speed trap record on you, then it is his word vs. yours. In that case, you are probably better off taking it in front of a judge with evidence and exhibits. The cop will say I saw him from this point, was going yay fast to catch him/her, blah blah blah. Record the whole thing when he pulls you over, DO NOT admit to speeding or say I don't know. Say the speed limit. Ask to see the radar gun printout. If they don't have it then you should have a chance. I'm recording all of my traffic stops from now on. If they have no record of my speed then good luck trying to prove it in court. A good attorney with a recording of the matter and some fine logistical details should be able to win it. But if they have you on the radar, you're pretty much toast.