Maserati Quattroporte 4.7 1968 | FerrariChat

Maserati Quattroporte 4.7 1968

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Azul, Apr 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Azul

Azul Karting

Nov 6, 2011
    Madrid
    #1 Azul, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dear Fchatters,

I want to share with you my new acquisition: a Quattroporte 4.7 from 1968. This car was imported for the Bacelona Motor Show that took place in May 68. Vin number is 2092. As per Archivio Maserati, only 71 Quattroportes were fitted with 4.7 engine. I also discovered that the car´s original paint was Andalusian Gold with tan leather. The papers say that the optionals that the car has are 4.7 engine, ponte autobloccante (slip differenctial), servosterzo (power steering) and ruote in lega leggera (magnesium wheels). The car is in good original running condition, just some minor rust that I will repair and I will paint it in its original color. Also all the mechanics are being revised. The car still has its original Madrid plates. I hope you like it.

Cheers!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Azul

Azul Karting

Nov 6, 2011
    Madrid
    #2 Azul, Apr 11, 2015
  3. Azul

Azul Karting

Nov 6, 2011
    Madrid
    #3 Azul, Apr 11, 2015
    I plan to restore the magnesium wheels. As you can see in the detailed picture, they were painted sometime and they have developed bubbles. Do you know the process to restore them?

4. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I've not seen those wheels before, very interesting. From the photos, which aren't the highest resolution, it looks like a very nice survivor. Does the paint really need to be completely redone? Photos can fool the casual oberserver though ...

I think this color rather suits the car well even if it is not the original. Gold with tan?
    I saw a GHibli restored like that back in the early 1990s and it was very nice.

Not many of these survived so nicely as this one.

Congradulations.

5. Azul

Azul Karting

Nov 6, 2011
    Madrid
    #5 Azul, Apr 11, 2015
    The paint is not bad, but it has some cracks. Some doors have bubbles, and underneath there is some rust. For that reason, the car would benefit from a new paint. In the attached pic you can see a Quattroporte with the scheme that my car originally had. I feel lucky to have found a car in such nice original condition.

6. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    If you go to the technical section here and do some searching there are quite a few threads on wheel restoration. Magnesium alloy requires some special processes but it's something that a hobbyist can do themselves. Make sure any shop you use knows what they're doing.

Here's one thread in which a number of us discussed the details of what we did.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/lamborghinichat-com-sponsored-cats-exotics/139137-islero-thread-48.html#post141423264

I encourage you to do plenty of research on the web.

The big issues is eliminating corrosion and not letting it start again before you get them painted with the proper primer. I handled mine after media blasting with cotton gloves and then they went into an immediate chromate conversion process.

7. Azul

Azul Karting

Nov 6, 2011
    Madrid
    Many thanks for your advice!

8. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yes that color reminds me of the Ghibli I saw back in the late 1980's at Concorso Italiano in Monterey before it was called that. It was an automatic. A Very pretty car with an interesting repurchase by it's original owner story.

9. LC3929

LC3929 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    Very much! Very nice car.

10. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    A very pretty car, and in great shape! The color is really a perfect match against the interior, really nice contrast.

Congratulations!

11. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

Great pictures, thanks for sharing

12. jonack

jonack Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Berkeley, California
    Full Name:
    J. Clark
    Looks great! glad to see another old Maserati getting some attention! how is your Mistral doing? we haven't seen pics of the car in use!
    Keep us posted on your progress..

John

13. Azul

Azul Karting

Nov 6, 2011
    Madrid
    #14 Azul, Apr 22, 2015
    The Mistral is doing very well, I have done more than 5.000 km since the restoration without any important issues. I love it! Don´t you find similar the Mistral and the Ferrari?

Cheers, Alejandro

14. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Your Quattroporte is a rare find given the history and options as fitted by the factory, including as you pointed out, the very rare 4.7 liter engine.
    Good going.
    I am sure we will all enjoy seeing progress photos of the car as the restoration continues.
    Ciao,
    FGM

15. Azul

Azul Karting

Nov 6, 2011
    Madrid
    Thanks Frank, Im glad you liked it!

Cheers

16. vignalespider

vignalespider Rookie

Aug 12, 2008
    CH
    I love the pic in the cold weather. You are right, although the 365 GTC Looks sleeker and has of course more power. I am driving both cars myself and have only good things to tell about either of them.

Best, Peter

17. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Great looking car. Wonderful find. Keep posting. I found a shop to start on my two qp 1 series 1's in maybe two months. It's been a real problem finding the right people

18. Azul

Azul Karting

Nov 6, 2011
    Madrid
    #19 Azul, Apr 28, 2015
  19. Azul

Azul Karting

Nov 6, 2011
    Madrid
    #20 Azul, Apr 28, 2015
  20. Azul

Azul Karting

Nov 6, 2011
    Madrid
    #21 Azul, Jul 14, 2015
  21. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Wish I could find some one here. Shops are so busy in my area that they are totally book.

22. Azul

Azul Karting

Nov 6, 2011
    Madrid
    #24 Azul, Jul 27, 2015
  23. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name: