What I learned from my recent speeding ticket....BEWARE | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What I learned from my recent speeding ticket....BEWARE

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by SCKOMS, Apr 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    "Bureaucrats are the bottom feeders of the legal system, far below lawyers and politicians (shudder). They clean the urinals of legislatures. Wear a HASMAT suit when dealing with them. Obscure communicable diseases should be named after them. "
    Member DaveO 48

2. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    Here in Ontario, 50k, ( or 31 mph ) over is enough to impound your car and up to a 10k fine. Or both. suspension is included or course..... etc.

Then try and have your insurance company keep you as a client.

Liberals.

3. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
    Yes, that must be it, yet again the liberals are the scourge of the earth, very original thoughts people. BRAVO

I can be serious and you assumed a point I was not making.

Where once did I say to drive 55, I said drive reasonably and avoid the penalties. 30+ over is not reasonable, the highways aren't your private playgrounds.

4. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.

....and my point is that you can drive at reasonable speed (stay with the flow of traffic, nicely, like the sheep the state wants us to be), and on I-294 at least, you are still "breaking the law" by a significant margin (average speeds 70-80mph, including semis and buses).
    There are numerous incidents when State Police pulls over cars at random, they pick and choose at their whim.
    Staying within the law creates a dangerous situation so you are between a rock and a hard place, they "get you" no matter what you do.
    Therefore, it's a scam.
    I don't blame the cops themselves, they have quota, bosses and performance reviews, they have to do what's required of them.
    Those pricks in Springfield though, should be lined up and .......

5. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Agreed, but it's not just Springfield. Most towns rely on traffic citations for revenue and the speed traps they set up prove it. In my area, Milwaukee Avenue is 40-45 mph except for a small stretch running through Lincolnshire where it drops to 35. Cops are there all the time. The same for Route 22 east of Milwaukee to the tollway where it drops to 30 mph. When you get off the tollway, 30 seems like you are crawling. No one is doing 30, so the cops just pick a random target. In these areas there are no schools or anything else different from the adjoining stretches of road to warrant that lower limit....it's purely economics!

6. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    The above is all true, they want revenue.
    I'm pissed at Springfield for making it a crime equal to battery.

7. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
    the FOX news propaganda is strong in this thread...

down in Springfield?, have you met the governor, so disappointed so soon folks? already, REALLY?

Give him a bit more of his term to screw things up before you judge...

8. ScreaminRevs

ScreaminRevs Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Leftist wackos will stop at nothing. News for you: because a politican has an "R" next to his name doesn't make him a conservative.

9. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Screws on "speeding" were tightened in 2011, under previous gov.
    What the hell what we are discussing here has to do with Fox anyway?
    It's already a well known fact how screwed up Springfield legislature is so stop being their cheerleader, it makes you look really foolish and almost fanatically pro government (as long it is liberal).

10. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Again, this particular law was part of Oberweis's bill. Not defending the dems but let's not be as stupid as the RNC and keep regurgitating mistakes thinking it will make them truths. It doesn't change the fact that a law intended to raise speed limits has created a cluster cuss of problems. Contact your rep and let's hold oberweis to his word to fix this. There has to be a balance between safety and freedom.

11. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    To be honest, I don't really see much difference between both parties here in Illinois.
    Republicans in name only.....
    They are all crooks here, regardless of affiliation.
    Rahm is best buds with Rauner, they went together on vacations before on numerous times.
    Enough said....

12. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
  13. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
    You seem to miss the point of my comments. Where did I defend Springfield, I simply said the highways aren't your private playground and don't drive +30 and you won't have the worst of it to deal with. Seems common sense which has been lost on you. Track your car away from Ma & Pa Kettle if you want to see 100+ or is that TOO LIBERAL an idea for you.

Most around here are more inclined to b!tch about the liberals about being the sole source of all the problems in life here in Illinois, it gets old needless to say.

14. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    OK.
    Be safe and try to maintain your 55mph on I-294.......

15. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Keep forgetting about these stiffer regulations. I honestly can't recall the last time I did 55mph on 294 (the right lanes barely if ever are traveling that low).

16. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Yep, the new reality Dino. Richard Dent was recently arrested for speeding on the Edens. Granted he was doing 107, but still, he was arrested, mug shots are online, etc.

Former Bear, Super Bowl MVP Dent charged with excessive speeding - Winnetka Talk

17. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, 3 figure speeding is mandatory trip to jail in IL. 20+ mph over the speed limit, the cops take away your license and may not let you drive, which means you get to pay for a tow or have someone else drive your car.

18. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.

Yep.
    That means 99% of all drivers on 294 are breaking the law and cops can pick and choose at their whim.
    Except "Alfas" maintaining his 55 while praying all the time to not be rear ended by one of the semis.....

19. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Actually, 35 mph over the limit, so 90 in a 55 is a mandatory arrest, at least according to the cop who pulled me over.

20. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    So I got my legal bill for this adventure...$300.

21. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    #71 cheesey, May 4, 2015
    Last edited: May 4, 2015
    DUI enforcement, is a worse crime against humanity... a total profit center for all those involved in the process of complying / enforcing regs... fines, court costs, education classes, probation fees etc ( in addition to increased insurance expense )... in a large metro area legal expenses / fines etc can approach $20,000 or more when all totaled... MADD although noble in concept, has gone to overreaching. Over reaching DUI enforcement has ruined many more lives than the handful of lives actually saved. Not condoning DUI, it's the over reaching enforcement practices... get in a traffic incident while DUI, expect to get the book thrown at you... it's the check points / roadblocks, LEO's using observation leaving a restaurant as probably cause for a stop, etc the list is long... it is selective prosecution... like the comments about traveling with the flow in excess of the ( posted)) speed limit... it is the excessive fees combined with the fines that grates, the multiple jepordies... violation revenues have become more than fines but profit centers for the enforcers of ordinances... just look at your local DUI enforcement, it has become a complete industry... it's the enforcement and execution of traffic offences that needs to be curbed... it's a world wide epidemic that need to be harnessed

22. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
    seems absent is a apt user name for you on many levels...

23. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
    #73 alfas, May 4, 2015
    Last edited: May 4, 2015
    Let's see what you write god forbid your wife, kids or you are made dead by a DUI driver that would have been off the road had the penalties been less severe. Tell us if your post would be one of well that was their or my ***** luck and I guess it really doesn't matter if anyone could have done anything to make the odds less likely for my wife,kids,me to be dead. Spit happens, chalk it up to odds.

There's two sides to all of this...

Easy way to avoid DUI, don't do it... or is that more liberal crazy thinking, absent of common sense as some would infer.

Roll the dice take your chances folks. Grow up and take your lumps as opposed to blaming everyone else for your poor decision making and then being at the mercy of the of the penalties you decided to fly in the face of.

But, but, I had to drive home from the bar drunk, but I had to do 107 on the Edens, what there are penalties for that? really? Those are for the poor folk that don't drive the shiny red cars with the horses on them.

GOT it...

But keep making those poor decisions as I'm sure a few of the F-Cars around here were funded by the poor decision making of others. Is that Irony or coincidence given the prevailing thoughts in this thread.

24. lencap

lencap Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    If you think our speeding ticket fines are high, read this (Google Search):

Finland, Denmark

Highest Fines: $200,000 (or more)

Even if you're one of the richest men in Europe, a nearly $200,000 speeding ticket is going to pang just a little (and that was in 2002, when $200,000 was a lot of money). The Trick here is that Finland, and nearby Denmark, both levy speeding fines depending on the annual income of the driver unfortunate enough to pick up a ticket.

In this case, records showed that Jussi Salonoja, a 27-year-old heir to a northern European meatpacking empire, earned $11.5 million in 2002, which after a complex calculation by the courts resulted in the world-record fine of about $200,000. And all that for driving 50 mph in a 25 mph zone.

25. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    90 in a 55 - a little reckless

90 in a 70 (or a 55 where everybody drives 70) - not that dangerous imo

90 in a Ferrari in a 70 - perfectly safe.

No, I don't think driving a Ferrari magically turns you into Michael Schumacher, but the car is built for those speeds and has much better braking and handling abilities than most cars on the road. 90 in a Ferrari is much safer than 90 in a Corolla. If only there were a way for the car's capabilities to be taken into account.

A $150 ticket is just a minor annoyance to a lot of people, but can break the bank for others. So I actually agree with the fine being based on the income or whatever. But the 12 months in jail + $2000 fine for going 90 on the Edens is insane