What I learned from my recent speeding ticket....BEWARE | Page 4 | FerrariChat

What I learned from my recent speeding ticket....BEWARE

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by SCKOMS, Apr 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    You are playing the same tune over and over like a broken record, now a personal attack?
    Btw, no one is saying 107 in 55 is OK and no one is justifying DUI here.
    .....but it is moronic to establish a 55 on modern 294 with it's 4 lanes and outright thievery persecuting folks who just stay with the traffic (not everyone is willing to crap their pants maintaining 55 with a semi inches from your ass).
    On top of it, still charging a toll that was established as a temporary measure and under that condition only.

2. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
    As are you, you fail to acknowledge my point.

You insist I'm defending Springfield, not once have I. I've simply said to avoid the penalties in place it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that all it takes is to play just this side of the rules that impose the worst of the penalties. Not once did I say or imply to stay at 55 as you continue to harp about but keep insisting I did if you'd like.

You insist well everyone's doing it that must make it OK, that's not really the way laws are written but keep trying. It's an imperfect system but it is one that a person can avoid the harshest penalties by simply paying attention to how they are driving.

Or is that to much of a stretch to realize and accept?

3. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
    #78 alfas, May 5, 2015
    Last edited: May 5, 2015
    That's exactly what you are inferring.

I'd take Schumacher in a Corolla @ 90 vs. most in a F-car @ 90. Plenty of youtubes to support the argument of "more capable" car drivers attempting to defy not only the laws they can get a lawyer for to solve their problems but even less sympathetic, the laws of physics.

4. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Uh, no I'm not.

Obviously Schumacher would be a safer driver in any car, that's completely missing the point...

The average person in a Ferrari vs. that same person in a Corolla, or Range Rover, minivan, or whatever. They would be safer going 90 in a Ferrari because the car has better brakes, better handling, etc.

5. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
  6. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Alfas, it seems you like to argue for the sake of arguing.

7. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    No, it doesn't.

8. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    That's not an argument, I paid for an argument. Now for something completely different.... ;)

9. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Hey!
    TX is great!
    Thanks for asking!

Ah... ILL-annoy... gee... they make it mandatory to hire (wait for it.... ) A LAWYER!
    sounds like a shovel ready job!
    shovel your hard earned money into the black hole of ILL / democrat / lawyers pockets.

on another note, here is an interesting, somewhat amazing article about speeding tickets in Texas! (a couple of examples of the fastest 19 speeding tickets in 2014)

How much the 19 fastest speeding tickets in Texas cost in 2014 - San Antonio Express-News

U.S. Hwy. 81 in Wise County
    Year and make of vehicle: 2005 Suzuki motorcycle
    Alleged speed: 136 mph
    Cost: $302.10

U.S. Hwy. 287 in Montague County
    Year and make of vehicle: 2012 BMW motorcycle
    Alleged speed: 136 mph
    Cost: $301

U.S. Hwy. 96 in Jasper County
    Year and make of vehicle: 2010 BMW 28i
    Alleged speed: 138 mph
    Cost: $290

State Hwy. 71 in Colorado County
    Year and make of vehicle: 2015 BMW 435
    Alleged speed: 139 mph
    Cost: $300

10. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I think we have Death Penalty for the above violations, alfas would be happy to hear.......

11. F458Spider

F458Spider Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    Illinois is the perfect example of government and regulation run amok. At least the federal government hasn't taken away our right to move to different states.... yet.

12. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
    You're right because highway anarchy should only cost a little over $300 and no jail time if caught doing 130+mph.

Apparently "it's all about ME" is the prevailing selfish "thought"(loosely termed since thinking seems to be absent around here).

Like I said, what if any of those people using their amazing car control and driving skills whacked you or someone you loved, chalk it up, thems the breaks, whatever. Just as long as I can afford the "penalty" let people use the highways however they want. I have an F-car, therefore I am a superior driver and should be given dispensation for having the almighty F,M,P,A_Car because it's simply better.

How come no one addressed that when I asked it the first time. Too tough a question? Don't want to admit to maybe having to rethink the position on things a bit...

Oh, that's right, the hive doesn't think for itself, it just spews what its told.

That damn liberal thinking realizing the highways aren't a private racetrack and other people use them with all kinds of skills or lack there of here in the US and realizing DUI and +30/40 over might not be the best way to avoid the harsh penalties the republican here in Illinois put in place. Sorry I apologize for actually using my brain and actually agreeing with a republican for once...

13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Lest inject a little reality here. When they raised the federal speed limit to 65 people said theire woudl be carnage, yet the death rate decresed faster. At this point its pretty obvious that speed differential between vehicles is a bigger factor than outright speed.
    Also between abs brakes stability contorl airbags etc things are gettign safer and a modern car is far more in control at 75 mph than say a clapped out crappy old Alfa at 60, at least driving on the highway.

So yes someone weavign through traffic is an ****** about to cause an accident. Yet someone on an open texas road with few if any cars about going 120 in a new BMW is at most a danger to themslevs. But probably the bigger dangers is sheer boredom going 70 on an open road leadign to texting or other distractions.

There are mnay speeds which are appropriate to conditions vehicles and roads. Its why Europe or Germany has lower death rate than we do, yet horror or horror high speed limits and in some cases none. Speed alone does not kill, inappropriate speed does. A one size fits all speed limit apllied to every road state and condition is big gov idiocy at its finest, and smacks of revenue collection.

By near criminalising a speed which a rational person may travel, by treating any roadside stop(many for spurious reasons other than speed) as a fear indiucing near criminal event we create overall disdain for the law and gov, the effects are far reaching. Any teenager who drives thinks cops are aholes, and the law an ass, they carry that view with them to adulthood.

Yes we need rational traffic laws for safety, but the application of the laws, their very irrationality are in too many cases a revenue stream devoid of the actual or potetial harm.

The relaity is during rush hour there is neary a cop about, there is little opportunity to catch speeders then, yet this is when most accidents occur. If road saftey was the goal how about cops during rush hour ticketign non signal lane changes, weavign though traffic, texting etc. Of course this would gretaly reduce real accidents, but its hard to do and not so lucrative.

As to DUI's. Freinds in ambulances and fire departments tell me the same tale. DUI accidents are 90% young people. The majority of older people busted for DUI are random police roadblock busts. The roadblocks, observing bars are not stopping the dui accidents.

Yes we need standards, but lowering to one drinks, is a revenue stream, not safety event.

Insurance companies love low speed limits, points are money. Libs hate indsutry influencing gov, unless its insurance companies apparently.

In CT they did a study, finding that raising limits tot he 85% speed, like say 80mph on mnay roads and then having strict enforcement for sppeds above say 85 mph led to general compliance, far betetr community relations, no effect of safety as peopel got hat speed anyway, but a big drop in police and insurance revenue.

If you have aproper speed limit on open roads, you may find peopel really do only go 20 in school zoes and in genral you free cops to police those dangerous areas where policing or speed control really is critical.

And yes id peopel wnat to go really really fast in their new vette etc there are plenty of tracks about.

14. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    alfas, I actually agree with a lot of what you're saying, even though you seem to think everyone in this thread is against you

90 in a 30 is moronic and should have severe penalties including jail time

85 on the tollway - it depends. My problem is that lawmakers, troopers, and you, seem to be viewing this as a simple math problem. 55 + 30 = 6 months in jail and a $1500 fine. That completely ignores other factors such as

- the speed of the other cars, which is generally 70 not 55
    - how open the lanes are
    - other behavior such as tailgating, weaving
    - what the weather is like
    - what your car is able to handle. It's not about being a "superior driver" or having an "almighty F car". It's about the engineering of the car itself. Do you really think that 90 in a minivan is as safe as 90 in a Ferrari? Anyways I only mentioned this as wishful thinking, I don't think there's any realistic way for this to be a factor

ALL of those factors are ignored. The only one that matters is you're going X over a prescribed limit Y which is much lower than it should be. Would raising the limit to 70 suddenly magically make going 85 safe in your mind? Because then it's only 15 over? Everybody's going 70 already.

But I wouldn't just use those factors to justify going faster. I think they should be taken into account for doling out harsher penalties as well. If you're going 90 in heavy traffic, tailgating, weaving, then you should get a much harsher penalty. Like the idiot in the M5 I saw on the way downtown today. A $150 ticket is just a minor annoyance and doesn't do anything to deter that sort of behavior. I definitely think there's the need for reform there. And yes I agree with you that if somebody gets caught doing that then they have no right to complain.

I consider myself a safe driver. Yes I like to go a little faster, but only when it's safe. I got a ticket for going 80 in a 65, at 3 am when there were literally no other cars around. I think I shouldn't have gotten that ticket, but I paid it without complaint since I knew I was guilty and since the punishment ($150) fit the crime. But I think I should be free to go 90 on the tollway when the lanes are clear, without having to worry about getting thrown in jail. If I get a ticket, then again, fine... I'll pay it. But the punishment should be reasonable and should take into account many more factors than simply the speed I was traveling relative to the speed limit.

15. mobiledev22

mobiledev22 Karting

Feb 20, 2015
    Boston
    Solution: Drive an ex-cop Dodge Charger and you won't get pulled over. Maybe

16. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
    It can only be a math problem as there is no way to take into account the multitude of variables people would like to apply to the problem. There is a fudge factor built in and that's the law officer present and their willingness to either let one off or throw the proverbial book or anything in between given their judgement at the time. If that doesn't work there is the day in court everyone is entitled to to plead your case and throw the dice.

It will never be "perfect" or take into account all that we'd like but leaving the harsh penalties in there as a deterrent to highway anarchy I'm OK with as avoiding the penalties is as simply as not doing +30 which at the end of the day is not an unreasonable thing regardless of what you are driving and the state of drivers ed here in the US. You could add cell calls & texting and driving to the harsh laws as far as I'm concerned as well but that's a different thread.

17. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Again I agree. It's not hard to stay <30 over. But my problem is that "30 over" is really only 15 over the flow of traffic and the punishment is excessive for that. The tollway is the only road I know of where there's such a huge discrepancy between the two.

If they just raised the speed limit to 65 or 70 I would be happy.

18. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    On certain roads in Germany they have variable speed limits, depending on traffic, time of day or weather conditions.
    The "speed Limit" is flashing on overhead signs mounted in critical spots, highly visible.
    Could be a solution to what you are saying.

19. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
  20. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
  21. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Nope, that'll backfire for sure.
    I used to have a retired Caprice cop car. People figure you ARE a cop so slow down when you get behind them.

22. rodbuster

rodbuster Rookie

Jun 16, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Illinois is sad cafe, there is a reason the residents are referred to as "sheeple".

23. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    That would be nice. Fat chance any govt in America could ever do anything as efficient as the Germans though :D

24. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
  25. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois