I'm fed up with my 308's lack of AC!! | Page 10 | FerrariChat

I'm fed up with my 308's lack of AC!!

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ultimate Pedals, Aug 26, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Smart move staying with R12

2. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Having spent my career in the chemical industry performing heat transfer analyses on process equipment, the figure used for radiant flux is 320 BTU/hr-ft**2 for the eastern seaboard of the US. So you have that heat load on top of 90+ degree humid air. And humid air is more difficult to cool than dry air. It takes about 970 BTU to condense 1 pound of water vapor at atmospheric pressure. Then there is the large windshield, the side windows with the negative camber, and the poorly insulated targa top. It's quite a load on the AC system that does not blow enough air to begin with.

3. Ultimate Pedals

Ultimate Pedals Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Rob Baylor
    Lawrence, based on your experience what size system and how many cfm are required to adequately cool the 308?

4. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Ssh.
    My AC doesn't know that it shouldn't work.

;)

308Dadoo likes this.
  5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Has been a while since I did that on my 308. But I vaguely remember it took surprisingly few cans. IIRC 4 to 6.

6. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    You guys think a 308 w/o AC is bad? Try a Jag E-Type FHC w/o air, and a black interior.

I feel like a roasted marshmallow coming out of the car in the summer. At least my 308 has a tan interior!!!

7. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    No

8. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    With my 328 if sun is directly overhead the AC is insufficient to make me feel comfortable as my other vehicles permit me to feel. It is fine on cloudy hot days. This leads me to believe that a window film that reflects radiation instead of letting it enter the car would help considerably. Even increasing the CFM would help although it may have been sized to be commensurate with the evaporator and condenser specifications so increasing its output may or may not help much. At idle with the vehicle stationary my AC is insufficient.

9. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert

I can relate. Traded the factory air in my 69 E type for a dual point distributor. What was I thinking? Drove with the windows down most of the time.

10. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I purchased a Spal 30000463 blower unit to replace and upgrade from my stock one. I have not yet removed the evaporator/fan assembly.

In doing preliminary measurements, it does not appear that the new blower can fit in my car. It is about 1/4" larger in diameter and my existing blower unit is already touching the side of the wheel well (see photo).

Does anyone who has upgraded their evaporator fan know if the assembly be shifted toward the center of the car? In studying other people's photos (particularly user "Ultimate Pedals") it does not appear that this is possible. Is there a smaller Spal unit that fits better? I fear I will have to return the 463 and just stay with the stock unit.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    I have been watching this great post!
    I am in the process of tearing down my 80GTSi under-dash A/C evaporator housing and will replace the blower motors(even though the old ones work). Can I use the 008-A54-02 with the higher CFM but has the higher AMPS? I will install Jason's newer fuseblock upgrade soon, but am I asking for trouble with double the amps for the blower motors? I know a conversion adapter bracket/plate will probably be needed to mount the blowers.

Now for the lack of knowledge "dummy questions".....

If the A54 is a three-speed motor, I can wire to just the max connector?
    To test the evaporator for no leaks, I can take to an automotive shop that does A/C repair?

Sergio Tavares likes this.
  12. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    #237 Ferraridoc, Oct 18, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    See my thread on the subject:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/upgrading-a-c-and-radiator-while-im-in-there.611123/

13. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I forgot that I posted this question. To follow-up, I successfully installed the 407 cfm Spal 30000463 (aka Spal 08-A45-02) with minimal fitment issues (using an adapter plate). It runs on factory wiring at all three speeds without issue (i.e. fuse does not pop). It blows a lot more air than did the factory unit.

If Ferraridoc thought it was beyond his depth to fit the Spal 008-A54-02, that says its pretty tricky. There is a bit of room to position the evaporator assembly a little more to the left by cutting the bulkhead area and repositioning the evaporator mounting points. At my level of skill, that would be major surgery. Having 543 cfm would be awesome though.

Regarding pressure-testing the evaporator, any a/c shop could do it. It is unlikely your evaporator is leaking though. It is almost always the unions and hoses that leak.

Just wiring to the max connector would work.

Sergio Tavares likes this.
  14. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    I forgot about that post.....another very excellent read. You really are a Ferraridoc. Your wise quote that I struggle with at the moment...Another point is: don't start one job without allowing for a dozen other jobs to crop up along the way - these cars have been around a long time, and things need doing! Everything is filthy, smelly, and needs addressing.

15. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Thank you, Brian. I am glad you confirm that the Spal 463 blows more air.

16. rwbolt1

rwbolt1 Karting

Sep 10, 2006
    Boerne, TX
    I really dig your custom center dash console. The incorporated dash vents really impress and make me wonder why 3x8s weren't manufactured like that. IMHO, the bare aluminum detracts. I think the black leather /vinyl covering would be the way to go; especially if you can mimic the corner stitchings of the original.

I'd like to do the same for my 328. But I'd add the double-DIN space at the top for a nice navi. (And drop the gauges to below the vents.) It really bugs me only having a single-DIN space.

(When my son inherits my car, he can change it back, if he wishes.)

17. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
  18. Kent Dellenbusch

Kent Dellenbusch Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2008
    Upland, CA
    Full Name:
    Kent Dellenbusch
    Hi Mike,
    My 328 has been converted to 134. It does not blow cold air anymore. Have you ever filled them? If so I'd like to learn next time you do it. Not even sure where to begin.

19. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes I’ve converted a few 308 to 134a and they were all cold. I have all the tools and gadget for the conversion. If you like one of these days come over and we will do yours.

Kent Dellenbusch likes this.
  20. Kent Dellenbusch

Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2008
    Upland, CA
    Full Name:
    Kent Dellenbusch
    Thanks Mike,
    I'll definitely take you up on this. I'll learn something. Heck, I'm ok with filling it every year if necessary. :)

21. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    Change to all green O-rings of HNBR

22. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    @miketuason , what is involved in your conversion?

23. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #248 miketuason, Sep 11, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2023
    Not much really. The only thing I’ve changed are, retrofit adapters for the compressor from R-12 to 134a fittings, the old aR-12 oil to the new 134a oil, receiver dryer, and of course the freon/refrigerant. Im still using the old original York compressor, condenser, and evaporator. I also had to flush the condenser to get rid some of the old R-12 oil and dirt.

After all these then I went ahead and vacuum the system for a minimum of one hour and confirmed that it’s holding vacuum after turning off the vacuum pump by monitoring the gauge from the AC manifold then if vacuum is good, you can now charge the system.

24. Kent Dellenbusch

Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2008
    Upland, CA
    Full Name:
    Kent Dellenbusch
    Thanks Mike for this info. I look forward to coming out one day to do this and buy you lunch. :)

miketuason likes this.
  25. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes definitely, we have to set up a date one of these days.