Be aware of the "new" 365GT4 2+2, 400 series Door Handles being sold | FerrariChat

Be aware of the "new" 365GT4 2+2, 400 series Door Handles being sold

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by samsaprunoff, May 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #1 samsaprunoff, May 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day All,

Just a heads up to anyone thinking about buying any of the new 365/400 series door handles... Be advised that a number of the handles being sold look the same as ours, but are actually incompatible. I say this, as I recently purchased a pair and found a number of issues with them:

a. the lockset "hole" diameter is way too large
    b. The lockset "hole" depth is far too shallow and has a slightly differently "keying" mechanism
    c. The interface between the handle and the door lock is completely different.

From checking the Internet I found that our door handle style was also used on Alfa Spiders (another Pininfarina design)... Given that this is the case I suspect that vendors seeing that the door handles "look" the same incorrectly assumed that they were interchangeable... So, before you buy a set check the items I listed above with the vendor first.

In my case... thankfully I was able to return them and so I only lost the return shipping charge.

Cheers,

Sam
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    for the warning

3. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Lets say your mechanism was ok, in your opinion could you swap out the old mechanical parts with the new outside part?

4. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Sam,these handles was also used on Fiat 124 Spider 1979-85 and as mentioned,the Alfa Romeo Spider.

The Fiat handle looks to be more axact the one we need. It does not have the matt surface inside the handle but otherwise the same I've heard.

Door Handle Exterior Left w/Key (Fiat 124 Spider 1979-85) - OE

A

5. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Jim,

Anything is possible... but it would be a lot of work if you wished to reuse the original locksets. If you wished to use the original locksets/keys you would need to fill the hole (lead, etc) and then drill a new one in the correct diameter... and then mill to the correct depth and then mill the correct lockset engaging key... then rechrome the assembly... a lot of work... for me anyway.

If your original assembly had a broken moveable handle, then you could salvage the moveable handle from these new ones.

Cheers,

Sam

6. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Arvid,

Thanks for the suggestion about the Fiat part. They might work... One would need to check the lockset diameter, depth, and "keying" mechanism to be sure. If there were more pics of the backside of the handle I could comment further if I think it could be used with my door lock mechanism.

As for the inside matte finish... I have yet to see any "new" ones that were anything but chromed. My guess is that it is a lot easier to manufacture these assemblies fully chromed... if anything one less manufacturing step.

Thankfully my original handles are fine, but are a little weathered. I was simply hoping to purchase a new fresh set in order to spruce up the car a bit. My next step is to take my handles to my local Plating shop to see what they can do. I will report back with what I find out.

Cheers,

Sam

7. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Looks right, at first glance from the provided angle, but yeah, need to see the backside of the mechanism. The keylock-depth portion is a start.
    If you try these, even if the whole assy won't work as-is, maybe just the housing casting will? If so (either way), would bead-blasting that exposed scallop create the frosted matte finish in the chrome?

One of mine is "OK-ish", the other is a little less so. Details to work out before it reaches Reassembly Time.