VW group could enter F1 now boss quits | Page 5 | FerrariChat

VW group could enter F1 now boss quits

Discussion in 'F1' started by Jackie and bill, Apr 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Red Bull needs an engine and Audi can build it - possibly and not own a team. Interesting. We also see how not easy it is to build an engine and win right off. Just ask Ferrari and Renault.
    Red Bull is impatient of course. Can Audi save them? Possibly as long as the engine and chassis are good. It always needs both to work and win!

2. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Everyone keeps talking about the poor TV audience and attendance at F1 events. I think the difference is, that could all change draamtically and quickly if the power brokers in F1 would put the series first instead of their pockets.

I think the barely more than casual fan can understand the issues and see that there are problems... fundamenttaly on upward. For the first time in years... I actually fast forwarded through most of the race. They hail the Spanish GP as one of the longest running races in F1, but what a horrible track. And in turn, you have places like Monza, Germany and others either going away or being threatened.

Bernie has no vision for the future of the fanbase. He's stated so. There's no industry to fan connection and that's a huge problem.

In the US no one knows what Renault is or does. Everyone in the US loves Audi. Perhaps the name alone will bring the recognition that's missing and hopefully Audi will actually market their participation in the US.

3. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I find the Austin, and Dubai F1 races to be quite spectacular.

The problem with the old tracks, is their governments are fundamentally against the F1 you want. Consider carefully the governments involved in the "old world" of F1.

We might still have screaming V10's if the European tracks and manufacturers had of been abandoned ten years ago.

Yes the tracks would be in places you've never been to, and the engine manufacturers in house or names you haven't heard of, but F1 would be fundamentally different.

4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I agree on your points. Bernie and really everyone associated with F-1 is there because of Money - Ferrari included. Its not about sport any more. While the grand stands are empty, the Paddock club is full ... and that is where the $$$ is. if you go on your own its $5-15K per weekend depending on pkg. Teams cost are less, but they spend a HUGE amount on entertainment, and most of the people in the PC are not even remotely interested in the racing - they like to look at the cars and want to meet the drivers and be part of the beautiful people ... that is what they are selling... access to the folks with $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and Power.

I no longer think F-1 as a sport or even a show, its almosts irrelevant except for the cool cars ... and the technology. I know the people in it are there for the great pay, see the world and it builds your resume and again links to the "right" people. sadly racing is not the main event for many. regardless of what the announcers say - its about generating money and keeping the exclusivity... a trick right out of Ferrari's play book.

5. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I totally agree. But you know as I said... all that could change overnight if the will was there. The way things are going, it's only a matter of time before places like Silverstone or SPA are on the chopping block because some other middle eastern country or some other trashcanastan is going to pay Bernie anything he asks.

It's absolutely bizarre to me that you literally cannot drive these cars throughout the entire year except for these handful of times. The result is that you have all of the teams hitting the track with way too much unknowns on way too much overcomplicated technology. They're essentially beta testing the car during the season. When you hear teams flat out admitting that they're not going be competitive for X number of months or years... what is the point then? What's the point of even watching at that point?

The marketing is all wrong for viewership to the masses. The regulations make racing questionable since way too many cars have zero chance of even thinking about a top 5. When teams like Red Bull flat out state that they're writing of 2015... something's just wrong. There has to be a mechanism for teams to develop and fix the issues they're facing.

6. Duck_Hollywood

Duck_Hollywood Formula Junior

May 21, 2006
    Dallas, Tx
    The attendance looked very poor at yesterdays race, BBC reported 80K people, though it did not look like it on TV (guess most of those people were in the paddock club) By contrast, last weekend was MotoGP's Spanish grand prix held at Jerez was said to have 140K people in attendance. It could be that having GPs on back to back weekends hurts attendance numbers.

7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I always thought it would be funny if one year they held the Monaco GP and didn't actually host a race :) same parties, same yachts, same eye candy, same movers and shakers, just none of that noisy smelly racing nonsense.

;)

8. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    A lot of folks in the VIP tents wouldn't notice.

Ironically its Monaco, the race that makes the least sense, that's the healthiest one on the calendar.

9. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I support VW getting into F1. After all, the cars already sound like a pack of old farting Beetles, so it should be a natural for them.

10. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Is F1 irrational?

Then Audi may jump in. ;)

11. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Is Audi suicidal?

I think that what's happening to Honda would warn off other Automakers.

12. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    that is kind of the problem. its and its all about the money and deal makers ... they really dont care about the money - and I think its about the halo effect that the CEO's get when they get to go to one of the races and get schmooze with each other.

Last year in the Lotus Paddock Club Jackie Stewart came up on Saturday and did a 25 min speach and did autographs. his main point was that F1 was classless and is viewed around the world... and that the people in the room are the folks who are making it possible, he went on to tout getting to know each other as there are deals to be made etc.... some of it was crap, but he is basically right its about making deals. all about $$$$$

13. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I think you are right. I used to attend some European GPs every season decades ago, and visited the paddock. The crowd you meet there now and the atmosphere are completely different as I noticed when I went to Silversone just a few years back.
    It's sad that most people with privileged access to the paddock these days, are not remotely interested in racing, but see it as a place to be seen in good company, sip champagne, display your trophy wife of girl friend, pretend to know the drivers, etc...
    It's the same unfortunately for many sporting events, from Ascott, to Wimbledon, etc... For many, the social side around big sporting events is more important than the sport itself.

14. DF1

No hosting fee for all my Billionaire and Royal tax cheating friends lol :)

Amber Lounge procession of stars in only 2 weeks - cant wait :)

15. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Amber lounge - Uggg.. what a waste of money! talk about cheesy... this is the Euro Trash side of F-1 at its best.

16. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    being in the pits and Paddock back in the late 80's and early 90's for many races - it is completely different. the biggest difference you can see is today if you go into the Paddock Club, you can arrive at 7AM - The PC will be virtually empty. team personnnel will be there that is it. at 8:30 there is a pit walk - again virtually empty - the only people there are real racing people. usually from other racing series etc... this is when you see people like Mario, or Alan Prost, etc... usually walking and talking with media.

at the 11:30 Pit walk -its packed to the brim with all the posures, who know nothing about the cars. the hospitality people try to explain the cars in such elementary ways its embarrasing, whats more if you ask them a real question - they cant answer it! the only time you get to talk to knowledgable people is if you talk to the actual mechanics - they are nice, doing their job and will take time with you, but inevitably they ask - so who are you with, etc..its all about making connections.

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  18. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    We would likely have Red Bull/Audi Racing and Renault F1 Team (after buying TR from Mateschitz)

Red Bull get a partner to share the cost and keep their brand exposure and they also get to sell TR off and Renault can have a full a factory effort.

Hope it happens.

19. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I doubt it. Marko was a parrot when he was at the wheel years ago. Nothing has changed.

20. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    F1 has always been for the wealthy and I'm surprised so many people on a Ferrari forum exhibit such wealth envy. Sure F1 paddock passes are expensive, but so are NFL suites, NBA front row seats and Wimbledon centre court seats. Its called capitalism and I love it. While I've never been willing to spend that kind of money for such luxury viewing, I have been to F1 races and NFL games for a few hundred dollars and enjoyed myself. And I do not blame the teams for offering such expensive options for the ones who are willing to spend such amounts. If you want cheap race tickets, try NASCAR.

21. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Hope so too. Though i find red bull's attitude to renault quite awful given their incredible previous success. 4 championships and then just two tough seasons later they're heading for a split. Quite sad in a way.

22. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think things should've been handled better, but for Renault to go backwards is pretty much inexecusable.

23. DF1

Audi pours cold water on F1 rumours

--Audi Chief Executive Rupert Stadler was last week quoted as telling British publication Auto Express that the company, which is owned by the Volkswagen Group, would be keeping their options open.

However, Stadler appears to have changed his tune, with the 52-year-old no longer eager to come to the aid of Red Bull or F1.

"Formula One needs to solve its problems on its own," Stadler told Handelsblatt.--

24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Also, let's face it, if VW-Audi was to come onboard in F1, in view of its weight, it would not want to play second fiddle to Mercedes, but be treated as equal.

Audi would immediatly ask to be part of the decision making and have a seat in Strategy Group. That would mean the eviction of another private team - probably Williams.

Would that be good for F1 in the long run?

25. DF1

Possibly, or they simply dont like Red Bull telling them in-directly what to do about its situation with their motor and being saved by Audi. Audi simply dont need F1, its lame politics and dithering image of late.