F430 Header Failure (it CAN happen to you!) | Page 6 | FerrariChat

F430 Header Failure (it CAN happen to you!)

Discussion in '360/430' started by Trent, Aug 1, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I haven't heard of any failures. I had mine changed five years ago.

Dave

2. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Mine were changed well over 2 years ago and about 6-7000 miles later there are no problems.

I plan on keeping it for a long time so I will probably change them out in a few years max to Fabspeed.

3. schroed911

schroed911 Rookie

Oct 6, 2012
    Norcal
    Thanks. The local independent SF Bay Ferrari service shop says:

- they service many 430s
    - have the recall done if not already done
    - they don't see failures
    - failures would show up as a lit CEL before the cat would break up and cause damage
    - they see Maz Q-ports using the 4.3L 8 with 100K miles

4. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Trent: Its not a recall, its a TSB. Most dealers only replace them if they have failed. Its not a typical recall where they will replace them preemptively. The warranty is 7 or 8 years; depending on what your dealer tells you, and some F430s are rolling past this emissions warranty period.

Trent: Simply not true. Ask me. I went from OK, to noise in seconds, and within a mile or so clunking from Cyl 6. No CEL. Read that as a "almost" catastrophic failure. Thank goodness I shut her down ASAP.

Trent: Not germane to the conversation. The engine is "similar" but the exhaust system, the weal link in engineering, mounting, design, etc, is completely different.

5. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I have a 99 360 so no pre cat. Should I be thinking of Capristo brackets also?
    Thanks
    Alan

6. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    This all scares me as I'm about to take the F430 plunge. I know about the header issues with the 355's (just sold mine with Tubi headers) but wasn't aware it was also an issue with the F430 as well. When will these headers fail? Is there a mileage point when they need to be watched?

Love this forum!

7. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    '05 F430 here MK2's and no probs!

8. big_guy

big_guy F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I dont think that one can predict when they will fail. On my 05 430, they failed after approx 24K kilometers (15K miles).

Keep in mind that the warranty on the manifolds is 8 years. If you are looking at an 07 or later car, you still have some warranty time left. With an 06 or earlier car not so much.

9. fstbiker

fstbiker Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    Just buy the 430, replace and be happy with better sound and security.

10. Nashtyboy

Nashtyboy Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    My 06 had the originals replaced at around 7k, then the MKII's failed at 12k, even though I added the capristo brackets. 3 sets of headers in 12k miles was enough to make me move sideways into a loaded 911 C4S.

11. aaronc

aaronc Rookie

Jul 3, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just picked up an 06 430 coupe with 12K miles. The headers and associated hangers were replaced under warranty in 09 with 5500 miles. And the PPI was done by a reputable Ferrari mechanic. Yesterday when I started the car, I heard mechanical tapping noise in the exhaust header area which went away in about one minute. I just made an appointment with Ferrari of Beverly Hills. The car is less than 8 years old and the service adviser mentioned that they will replace the exhaust if that is the problem. Guess I will find out in the next few days.

12. gmani1082

gmani1082 Rookie

Nov 4, 2014
    Pickering, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Ganesh
    Picked up an 05 f430 with 15 kilometers. Had mk1s and failed smoke test during ppi. Mk2 now on it...

13. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    Good for you to ensure they were smoke tested. Did the Mk2's get put on under the emissions warranty?

14. gmani1082

gmani1082 Rookie

Nov 4, 2014
    Pickering, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Ganesh
    No, it was just part of the deal during purchase. Paid half for them so no complaints since it's a known issue. Took about 2 weeks to get the headers from ferrari of Quebec down here to Toronto. Wish we could have just done the fabspeed upgrade but half price so no worries. We will update when the Mk2 fail. Hopefully later then sooner lol.

15. CAracer

CAracer Karting

Oct 26, 2012
    Pflugerville, Texas
    Full Name:
    John Blanor
    Just curious, how expensive were they in US dollars?

Thanks, and good luck with you new car.

16. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Can anybody clear up the warranty. Mine were just replaced under warranty, so how long do I have on the new ones?

17. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Is this warranty or a recall? I have a 2005 and I'm waiting for the rest of the records.. Not sure if they are mk2 or mk1 on it now.. If Mk1 do they have to replace or am I out of luck..

18. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Was not a recall, just a bulletin. There was 8 years on the US emissions warranty, both were replaced if one was found to be leaking. On a 2005, you would be on your own.

19. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Covered under the 8 year emission warranty AFAIK.

20. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    How do they warranty the replacement that they put in under warranty?

21. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    That would be the regular parts and labor warranty, I would think. Of course, emission components remain under the 8 year warranty from time of car was sold new.

22. RED328GTS

RED328GTS Rookie

Dec 29, 2003
    I just went through this issue with my ’05 430. At 4100 miles my Pre-cat headers were replaced under warranty. Your car is warrantied for 8 years from date of in service. Once you are past the 8 year point you are on your own. Ferrari only warranties the headers for 2 years if you replace outside of the initial 8 year window. When I had my car serviced at 12000 miles, my right side header had a crack failure. I replaced mine with Fabspeed headers which provides a life time warranty and between the price of the headers and installation, it was less that quotes that I received from the dealerships for replacement with OEM parts and installation. I have no check engine light issues.

23. Head911

Head911 Karting

Jun 2, 2008
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Daytona

Hey!!!
    Thinking about changing the headers on my 2007 car, just in case. Where did you order your fabspeed headers? On ebay they are 13 000 dollars. Glad to hear that your car is running good now!!

24. gandalfthegray.

gandalfthegray. Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Pinewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I think you're seeing the whole system at that price. The headers are around $3k or less. Talk to James @ Vivid. He's a forum sponsor and posts often in this section.

25. dvb247

dvb247 Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    Thats utter rubbish, unless you break the metal heat shield off you will never really know?? my headers were MkII's and both were broken, left and right, Mk1 and MkII's are about as much use as a chocolate fire guard, anything over a thousand miles and your chancing your luck.

THEY ARE NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE!!!

UK main dealers even advised me to go with challenge manifolds and they can't recommend other manufacturers!!!!!