The time had not come. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The time had not come.

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by PV Dirk, Aug 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #26 PV Dirk, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    And now a question. I noticed that my cam cover gasket squeezed out as shown at all 4 points to some degree. Anyone have experience with making this not happen, or the cause? At the very end of the cam cover where it meets the cam seal carrier. You can see it poking out.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That is too much squeezing out due to over torqueing of the nuts. Use a bit of gasket dressing, a dab of grey RTV at the very corner, and use a torque wrench to tighten those little cam cover nuts. It is an oil sealing function. It is not holding up your engine.

3. abignami

abignami Karting

May 20, 2010
    Milano, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alessandro Bignami
    Great job! I would love to have a place where I could lift a car but my garage is just 2.2 meters high... so, even if I would be able to lift even a Ferrari (quite low car), I could not go up very much. Maybe just enough to do minor jobs.
    Alessandro

4. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You are Awesomeness PV!!!

Cheers

5. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Nicely going PVDirk! I see you took off the axles as well.
    Interesting to see you have Back cam covers as well on your 3.2. I haven't got them... I have metal timing pointers bolted on instead.

6. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I did actually torque to factory spec, something approximating 6 foot pounds, barely snug and haven't touched them since I did it. So I'm still wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

7. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    ?? are you talking about the plastic backings for the aluminum timing belt covers? It is a pain to remove those tiny bolts.

I can't tell you how happy I was removing those axles. I've taken them out a few times and it's always a process. This time I had my Dad take a picture of me doing it casually sitting behind the engine. What a joy it was with the exhaust and fuel injection removed.

Which leads me to another question. The axle boots. I've had poor luck with them. In 2009 I had all four replaced. In 2011 one split, in 2012 another split and looking now another is split. One joint did it twice it was the right outboard. Now the left inboard is split. I'm thinking it may have just been the tech who did it originally putting the clamp on too tight as it tended to be cut right at the edge of the clamp. But if done any looser the boot tends to migrate a bit on the collar. Any thoughts on this. Anyone else have repeated boot failure? I'm thinking I'll probably replace all 4 just because the axles are on the shelf at this point. I really hate that process. My CVs do not slip off the axles. It is basically a press fit in my case. I'll probably get a press this time, last time I used a brass drift and a sledge hammer and it took a lot of effort.

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Did not happen to me. Put a dab of silicone rtv at the very corner, trim the gasket to 0.5mm short of the end, torque it to less than 10Nm and observe the end of the gasket to make sure it does not squeeze out too much (a little is OK) or back off the torque if it does, and wait for the rtv to cure which will keep it from squeezing further out.

9. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Looking back at the pictures I'm wondering if it was too long toward the end. Where they squeeze out they appear long of where they should fit. Oh well, if all goes well I'll be doing this many times. :) Eventually I'll get it right.

10. mjh366

mjh366 Karting

Jul 26, 2007
    Kerrville Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike hoskins
    When you have the cam covers off and cleaned take a sharp center punch and every several inches tap the punch both on the cylinder head and the cam cover, this will leave a slight bur on both surfaces to help hold the gasket in place, and use Honda Lube gasket sealant, the best on the market. An old trick used by many.

11. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I haven't touched the car in a month. I was home for 24 hours a few days ago and didn't even look at the engine. Paid bills and ran errands, spent a lot of time with my Dad.

But my mind has put many many hours into the project. Also, I'll be home next Friday for 5 days. I'm sure the ferrari will get at least one good day of work. Added to the to do list is to pull the injectors and replace the o rings. Also the plenum will come off. I will pull the water outlet T in the valley and will have it drilled and a new nipple installed.

I did speak to an engineer on my garage. I think I'm going to race forward on having a proper floor installed in my shop. The Ferrari is in my Dads garage and I need to get it out. I figure at this point the car may be apart for nearly a year and I can't leave it at my Dads house that long. I'll try to get the floor installed and a lift in place at my garage so I can get the car there.

Time and money, time and money. I seem to be coming up against a wall on both. But over a years time both will trickle in, and out. :)

12. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #37 PV Dirk, Oct 24, 2014
    And to make this thread complete a picture that has been elsewhere. This is why the car is not at my shop. The goal is to frame up the pit and pour a slab over it. The underside will be my cellar in which I hope to ferment beer, store wine and maybe make pickles. Above will eventually be a couple lifts. Right now it is merely storage.

13. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    PV Dirk:

Where did you get the engine stand? I need one.

Thanks,

Art

14. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #39 PV Dirk, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  15. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #40 PV Dirk, Nov 18, 2014
    Thanks David for giving the place a name :D

I've been pushing forward on the garage. The Ferrari will take much more time than I can afford to leave it tied up at my Dads place which y'all have seen in the pictures. The garage pit has been cleaned of wood and steel, there is the prior picture of what it looked like before with the fairlane in it, maybe I'll put that here too.

The Ferrari sits in pieces. I'm doing some research, thinking things through and will need to get it to my garage when the floor goes in. I've been nervous about moving the car with the rear subframe removed so I finally realized it won't take that long to reinstall the rear subframe and then the car will sit on four proper wheels. I won't reassemble the engine, just install as it. It will also be a good trial run for installing the engine after it is assembled.

So this is for those of you who are following the life and times of my Mondial.

16. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #41 PV Dirk, Nov 23, 2014
  17. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #42 PV Dirk, Dec 29, 2014
  18. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I managed to replace the clutch master cylindar and thought THAT was an accomplishment. A very firm tip of the hat.....

19. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #44 PV Dirk, Jan 8, 2015
    I have owned my new home (muffler shop) since November 2013 and today the concrete will go in. The guys showed up at 6:15 this morning to prep for concrete at 7am. That's 15 minutes :D

20. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #45 PV Dirk, Jan 19, 2015
    If all goes to plan the Ferrari will come back into my garage on Wednesday. I have a Rotary brand two post lift that I've made an agreement on and eventually I'll get my Dads 4 post lift over here. I still want to put paint on the walls and I'm trying to work out some roof leaks but things are going in the right direction.

21. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #46 PV Dirk, Jan 21, 2015
  22. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Very nice & very practical!

23. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #48 PV Dirk, Mar 23, 2015
    Progress is slow but it is occuring. The folk lift belongs to my old neighbor. How could I not offer to store, especially since I can use it :D

I'm still in process of drilling holes in slab to bolt down the lift legs.

24. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #49 PV Dirk, Jun 2, 2015
    I was home for 48 hours and was able to make progress. I now have a functional lift. However as life goes things change. My girlfriend and I have a baby on the way (excited :D) so time will get even thinner. I had planned a fairly extensive rehab in the engine bay, now I'm thinking belts and seals and button er back up so it's functional as a car. Decisions decisions.

25. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hey PV,

Share everything you're doing in your garage, with your GF. Make her a welcome part of all that (car stuff) that you love.

And then, she too must know that you care about all her interests, fears or passions (even the wild ones).

Cheers,

Hank