2015 Indy Car | Page 32 | FerrariChat

2015 Indy Car

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Jan 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Traditionally, Indy Cars ran without starters. Traditionally, Indy Cars ran on ovals until the formation of CART. Traditionally Indy Car drivers could actual drive without spinning out like a top. Traditionally the cars were Sprint Cars. Today......tradition is all most gone.

2. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Well...when you run on a road/street course where you have to turn in more than one direction, and it rains from time to time, a starter is a ____ ____.

3. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    f***ing requirement ? :D

4. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I was going with good idea...but I think we are on the same page.. lol

5. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I have not seen anyone here mention how brittle these cars are. If we could get rid of those wings in front of the front wheels then that in itself would reduce cautions by 50%.

6. Canut

Canut Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Manuel Canut
    I completely agree. It appears that most of these guys are NOT good enough to drive this type of race cars period!!
    During the broadcast the mention several times that such and such drivers were good because the raced in Europe, as if Europe is the only place where it rains. We just have to admit, most of the current Indy drivers are not that good, or not good enough for these cars.
    I want to see the fastest guy to win the race, not the lucky one that was out of sync because some clowns keep spinning. You will never see a Marusia winning a race after 38 yellow flags. That does not happen. If Indy wants 20 different winners in 20 different races, then we might as well pick the names out of a hat, and call it good.

7. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I hate to do so, but I'm inclined to agree with the two previous posters. For all the great drivers and access to them that Indycar offers, the rain races are to some degree shams. NOLA, which I attended, was a joke, and your comments about Detroit are enlightening. One problem is almost undoubtedly a wide variance in driving talent, but another is the lack of competition for/with the tire supplier. Are there any intermediate tires? The rain tires seem OK - at best - but there is no incentive for the supplier to make them better, and the rain greatly magnifies the talent gap.
    I do have a new idea about the incessant yellows: if you cause more than one yellow in a single race then you are fined or docked 5 driver points. If you cause 2 or more yellows in 2 consecutive races, then you get a one race suspension.
    Any other thoughts?

8. 121Designer

121Designer Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2013
    Burbank,California
    Full Name:
    Joshua Lange
    Makes sense. Between not passing enough and too many caution laps, the races can drag on. Seems like the "bad" drivers would either have to get better or find a new day job under the scrutiny of team owners who want wins.

9. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    welcome to the era of pay drivers, where mediocre (or worse) talent with a budget trumps excellence without a budget, even in "professional" series.

10. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    +1 What made Indy Car racing is now all but gone.

11. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Always been that way in pro racing - he who has the sponsors race

12. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Not really. Sports Cars yes, Indy Car no. Many a team was low budget during the 60's thru the early 80's. Jerry Karl, Al Loquasto, John Mahler, Larry Cannon, etc were not high dollar people. They raced because they wanted too. Same for Smokey Yunick. Many ran on their own money and the sponsors they had may have simply been equipment or services provided.

13. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Indy and F1 had a long run from the early 70's until probably mid 2000's where talent trumped all, and sponsors were tied to teams and wanted the best driver possible. now that era has ended and we're back to where we were in the 60's and before where it was a rich man's sport.

the bad news is, it is devolving into not being a professional sport...which means, like "professional" sports cars, the business model will shift away from being a spectator sport. i.e. TV contracts and ticket sales will continue to plummet.

14. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    And with it the end for many formula's. The funny part is.......it doesn't need to be that way.

15. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    The occasional (I'm being kind here) Indycar pay driver seems to cause much of the mayhem, yet talents like Buddy Rice, Mike Conway, Justin Wilson, etc have no rides or rides in lesser series. But In guess the dollar is king, right?

16. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    In this world....cash is king. Indy Car....no different.

17. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    #792 SMS, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Normally, reduction in downforce...

This track has high banking.
    One year they slowed the cars down, to run the race...high G forces on the drivers..

19. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    I guess with Le Mans this weekend, everyone forgot about IndyCar :)

But that Toronto race was amazing. Caught the last 20 laps which were action packed. fun stuff. Congrats to CFH Racing on a 1-2 and also to Newgarden and Luca Filippi. I like Filippi - really well spoken guy and fast.

20. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    missed it....fell asleep on the couch. woke up with the dog sprawled out across my legs :)

IndyCar puts the entire race on YouTube about a week afterwards so I'll catch it then. I heard it was a great race. super happy for Josef, Ed, Sarah and their team.

21. italiangerman

italiangerman Karting

Jul 28, 2009
    Race today was ENTERTAINMENT. Could easily have been dominated with yellows, but not this time. Great racing throughout the race all the way back through mid-field.
    Now, if they can put this show on consistently, rather than only half the time...... I would like to see them succeed.

22. IndyFan

IndyFan Karting

Feb 21, 2010

You heard it was a great race???

You mean after seeing how the Twitterverse exploded with what a great race it was, through the entire race, you realize you missed a GREAT race.

23. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    #798 PureEuroM3, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
  25. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    For those who have not seen this incident happened yesterday and it put our entire grandstand into a silence.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6poqSS3tVi4[/ame]