is safe to run your F Only one time in a month? | FerrariChat

is safe to run your F Only one time in a month?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by leopoldo, Jun 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    Hi, i would like your opinion. Because i have bought Few Days ago a 430 Scuderia With 2 k miles is it possible to don't run it but only leave The engine on for 15 minutes one time per Week ?i don't want to put miles on this car. Thanks in advance

2. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    #2 vrsurgeon, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    And you bought this car because...... ?

1) It's not going to be a collectable car ever, esp if F1.
    2) When Italy follows Greece nobody will have any money to buy the car from you.

and lastly.. yes..
    3) running your car for 15 minutes doesn't let the car fully warm up and the engine oil come to temperature. So basically you get all the engine wear possible with your 15 minutes of running and none of the benefit of a running engine. Better not to run it at all IMHO.

Drive the car that you own. It'll have less issues.

3. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    It is my business Because i don t want to put miles in this car, my question did not need this your first and second answer... and about your second answer i feel it very bad taste!Italy is a Great place and We are absolutely not in The same condition of Greece. Take care and try to be more gentleman as we italian guys use to be...

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Leave the battery on charge and take it out to get it to full temperature every month or two

5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Leopoldo,

The answer is nevertheless sound: it would be much better to drive the car, at least a few kilometres, to have all systems operating, if possible at normal temperatures.
    Even one 60 kms trip per month would be much better that no driving at all; 60 X 12 would only be 720 kms per year, or 7200 kms in 10 years.
    A 60 kms trip once every month would allow all systems to operate, and get to normal temperatures. Its not ideal for the car, but it would be much better than nothing.

Rgds

6. GG-33

GG-33 Karting

Apr 28, 2014
    Farnham, UK
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Not a good idea to run it as you suggest. I will spare you too much detail but, the condensation that will be created inside your engine will form acids which are very corrosive. Believe me, you will do more harm than good.

Far better to 'winterise' the engine and not run it at all. at the very least, drain the oil, fill with new oil and don't run it.

I have witnessed several aero engines reduced basically to scrap due to internal corrosion by too little use.....you have been warned.

7. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    You asked the question.. you gets an answer.. hehehe

The "nice" answer is sometimes not the best one to hear. :)

I didn't even go into if you don't drive the car because you're worried about depreciation perhaps you can't afford the car... (I know.. I'm being bad)

8. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    #8 DrJan, Jun 29, 2015
    1: nobody knows today if it is going to be collectable or not. Nobody was interested in a Dino in the 80's, the value of a 308 and 328 was pretty low too.
    Look on today's prices!

2 Not a nice comment, and totally untrue. As the saying goes - do not throw rocks in a glasshouse!

3 Agree fully. All mechanical components need to run, to distribute lubricants. Engine oil needs to go to running temperature.

9. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This.

Drive it long enough to get it up to operating temperature, and run the air conditioner.

10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Not driving your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so that she will be of more value to her next partner.

If you don't want to put miles on the car, why did you buy it?

11. F.Engineering

F.Engineering Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 23, 2015
    ITALY
    Full Name:
    Fabio
    Dear Curt,
    after that you have wrote, more is clear about you.....

For you a F1 Ferrari is not a collectible car, ok ... my friend have a Scuderia, that is only F1 you know or not that manual to exist...
    That Scuderia not will be a collectible car in a future? ...
    Enzo is only F1, that is not a collectible car?

Last times more people are boring with manual transmission, for years you not even know what it was and now is the oracle ....

At the end, about your thinking of Italy .... i not comment, but i hope you never will came here .....

Best Regards from the bad Italy... But you drive an italian car .. compliments my friend ....

Leopoldo,
    lascia perdere queste persone e fai con la tua testa, l'unica cosa giusta che ha detto è che sarebbe meglio fare qualche km.

Ciao, Fabio

12. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    #12 vrsurgeon, Jun 29, 2015
    Oh Fabio,

I'll make sure when I visit Lake Como next year that I wear a big cowboy hat, have a big belt buckle and speak American' slowly and loudly. (Sto scherzando) My comment was made half in jest.. but it is based on some real statistics:Italy Unemployment Rate | 1983-2015 | Data | Chart | Calendar | Forecast
    also read almost 50% of youth are unemployed... it's not that I don't like Italy. It's that the numbers don't paint a pretty picture. though I think Portugal is much worse. (No P+R intended, strictly economic numbers)

My problem with the F1... I've driven it and the Dual clutch are even better. So too many made, newer technology does the job even better. Not as engaging as the Manual and not as reliable. No, I don't think history will embrace it anymore than any other automatic transmission with levers. 10,000 360's and 430's versus a few hundred Enzo. Not an accurate comparison.

And yes, as I said some KM would be a good thing.

13. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Yes. Always run the AC. Sometimes I only drive mine once or twice a month.

It's your car. Drive it as you see fit.

14. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    +Fabio congrats on the great car. Will be a future classic. I think the Challenge Stradale, 16M, Enzo, 599 GTO have done just fine with the F1 and I know many people who prefer the "super fast" version in the scud to a dual clutch (and the six speed). Nothing like that snappy shift you get when you are on full power!

Taking nothing away from the dual clutch or six-speed. Those both have their strengths and everyone is entitled to their own preference (which should be obvious).

15. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    #15 leopoldo, Jun 29, 2015
    For your informations in Italy was built almost 1600 Scuderia ( plus 499 16M )And all f1!!! again... for your informations today in Europe The 'clean ' scuderia and challenge stradale are more expensive than an used 458 ( spider Also )! so probably they are already ' collectors cars' ... for Last your information i don t want to use a lot this car Because i have The possibility to use my new California t ... as you can see The things in Italy are not going so bad .... ;) bye bye

16. F.Engineering

F.Engineering Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 23, 2015
    ITALY
    Full Name:
    Fabio
    Thanks Galt,

but is "Leopoldo" that have buy the 430 SCUD, personally I have 575m HGTC.

I agree with you about gearbox considerations ...

17. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Relics from a bygone era, manual gearboxes and "Southern gentleman".

18. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Like the "Real" Automatic in the 456 right? Relic. (hehehe) Gentlemen from South Florida I presume? ;)

19. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Naive question - why run the AC? To forestall mold and mildew formation in the AC lines in a damp environment? Just to get those parts moving an in use during infrequent use? Or, some other reason? Thank you & I apologize for the slight diversion to the thread…T

20. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I agree!

21. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Your AC system has oil lubricant in it mixed with the refrigerant. Running it allows the oil to circulate in the system and lubricate the compressor. Without this the seals in the compressor can dry out.

22. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    From a "wear" point of view, it is also better to start the engine fewer times, but to run for longer.
    Most of the wear on the engine happens the first few seconds before the oil pump pumps the oil all around.

Not sure how the F1 gearbox likes it to be "primed and ready" but not used and then shut down?

23. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    Leopoldo, you should give a thought to the tyres also. Prolonged standing will produce flat spots on the tires. At least I find them extremely irritating.
    What I have done in the past for hardly used cars is to put a mark on the tire close to the rim with a wax pen, then make sure the marks are not in the same relative place when I park the car after a ride.

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    If you dont want to drive it, prepare it for storage it properly and decativate it. That way you will have a time warp car 10 or 20 years from now.

Alternatively it needs to be yearly serviced fully, and excecised properly on occasion.

A car started stopped and not really driven properly, sporadicaly serviced, may look great it may even move under its own power, but its really a car needing full mechanical restoration 10 years later.

25. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Marin Calif
    Just idling and not driving is not best.

IMO Once a month drive is OK.

Yes just keep on a Battery Tender until it is time to drive.

10 miles a month could do it.
    Or time wise maybe 15 to 25 minute drive.

Drive to full operating temperature, shift into all gears, use the full rpm range, get the brakes hot, work all the electronics (windows, stereo, door locks, dash settings etc) and yes AC.

Less than ten miles/ 15 minutes I am unsure if you will reach the proper temperatures and be able to "work" all the car systems.

Be aware of gasoline going stale with age and varnishing the fuel lines plus rust occurring in the tank if the tank is not kept full.

Good luck to you in your desire not to add mileage.