2015 Indy Car | Page 35 | FerrariChat

2015 Indy Car

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Jan 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    You just gotta believe.

Got to believe that Indy Car, in its infinite wisdom, will find a way to screw this up too.

Probably put Road America on the schedule in February or something.

BHW

2. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    ...........when will Rodger P. stop spending $ on Indy Car? He owns tracks, but that is just a RE play. He must be spending a ton of cash, but why?

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Roger doesn't own any tracks anymore that I know of, but he does promote Detroit GP. (he sold his track company to ISC many years ago)

Roger makes $$ on Indycar, he's great at using racing to leverage B2B relationships, plus he owns Ilmor (or at least a piece of it).

but I agree, if/when Penske, Andretti and Ganassi stop, the sport stops.

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Maybe they'll break away and start a new sanctioning body. CART II, anyone??

5. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I would hope they're not that stupid.

6. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    This was terrifying. If that had happened in the middle of the track it could have been deadly.

Interestingly, seems like the older drivers all said the race was idiotic - risking their life for a few thousand fans. The younger drivers were all pumped about the close racing.

Indycar Racing News | Racer.com - IndyCar: "Insane" race spurs critics, supporters

7. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I think the rule still applies for the older drivers, "To win the race drive as slow as possible to win". :)

8. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    For sure - ha! I think the thing that concerns them here is the pack racing and that there is no way out more than the speed.

9. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Correct on all counts, and I'm in agreement that when the big teams go, it's over Johnny.

10. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Rutherford? :)

11. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
  12. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Not unless they return to the old rule book. Do that and the sport will turn around.

13. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Are you saying that old race cars draw more people than current "spec" racers? I wonder why?

14. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Sign me up for that, I concur!

15. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Yeah really, how hard would that be? Indycar: The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight.

16. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I love Kirby, have read him for years. He makes a subtle comment about the tracks that have "given up" on IndyCar, but perhaps it was the other way around?

The Hulman-George family was expertly wooed by the sinister NASCAR cabal (France / ISC, Speedway Motorsports, etc), which convinced them ovals and pack racing was the way to go. Much like conversations we see in P&R, one can not realistically believe it was all an accident - no, it was a planned marginalization to the threat that CART once represented to the all conquering NASCAR.

It didn't help that Penske sold out to ISC. That is one area that I do support the Hulman-George family - they need to remain as owners of the track because without that, it's completely and utterly doomed.

What they giveth, however, they taketh away. In defending their race, they shot the series in the foot, to which it will never recover.

The hubris and ineptitude exhibited by Tony George and company tells me that it was GEORGE / IndyCar that turned their back on Surfer's, Laguna, etc - not the other way around. Maybe the history was written otherwise, but I'm not convinced. NASCAR pulled the strings, George being the puppet, they so thoroughly pissed off the "independent" tracks and/or cities that host the street races that they won't recover.

Can't keep repeating the obvious, but I will once more. More HP, less aero. Reduce the ovals to 2, maybe 3 MAX. Focus on street racing but go to the historic, INDEPENDENT (e.g., not ISC or Speedway) tracks. END THE PACK RACING.

Push to pass, turbo motors with pop-offs, open formula. I'd keep steel brakes and I would move from the flappy paddles back to the sequential manual (harder to drive), but that's a minor quibble.

Separate the men from the boys. Little boys and girls need not apply, because if you aren't trying to corral a 800HP+ beast around the twisties with your *** end out while simultaneously crapping in your pants, then it ain't IndyCar racing IMHO.

Until then, they will continue the slow, frustrating slide into irrelevance. Which is a nice way of saying that as long as Tony George is in charge, it will never succeed.

17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    It might be worth mentioning that many drivers in the series can't handle the cars now, more power would make it worse. Need higher standards all the way around.

18. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Well stated.

Notice that the ISC kicked Indy Car out of all of its circuits with the exception of Fontana.

Fontana, which Kirby noted, used to host 100+K crowds for CART races is now reduced to
    a laughing stock of an event with (maybe) 5K in the stands (most of which are likely there
    on comp'd tickets).

It's such a sad state of affairs, it become depressing to think about.

BHW

19. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Yes, but it would weed them out. Let's call a spade a spade, most of them are inferior drivers.

20. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Absolutely. Nearly all of racing, for me, has become depressing. I (seriously) get more entertainment watching "Street Outlaws" and that's a scripted show!!!

There are problems everywhere and in every form of racing. Right now, it seems sports cars are in a good place, and I was a huge fan of the early days of MotoGP (that too is getting consumed by a political monster).

NHRA, F1, CART, SCCA, AMA, Superbike, etc. have all been watered down to the point of uninteresting. It's not just racing, I see it with other sports - the NBA (garbage), the NFL (garbage), MLB (garbage), MLS (garbage), NCAA basketball (quickly becoming garbage), and so on.

I do not want to go P&R, but the parallels are extraordinary and eerie. As it was said - "absolute power corrupts absolutely".

Maybe better to say - "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  22. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Crazy.

Honestly, I was at NOLA for a class less than a month before the GP and my thought was, "how are they ready to host a GP here?" Seems like they weren't. They also heavily modified the track for Indy which took out a lot of the most exiting features. The track doesn't drain well at all either as everyone now knows...not that anything in LA does.

23. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    LA is a swamp. Just the nature of the terrain. I am surprized as to how nice a track it is considering the area. The product on the track was the joke. You can fix the track if people tell you what it needs. Most here know what "crapwagon" needs.....but they ain't listening. Canned performance and artificial racing is nothing more than a pre-packaged show. Add water and stir. After it is done baking, it still is a soupy load of crap". Hence why this years LeMan's was a winner with all who watched. The made a masterpiece and the whole world ate it up. Now....do you want another slice of what Indy Car is serving?

24. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    After Le Mans, everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) pales in comparison.

I've only watched one race post-Le Mans, the Austrian GP and that was a utter
    bore fest.

Agree as well, it's across the boards of sports mentioned above. Le Mans will just
    have to be it for now, may have to pick up a different hobby.

BHW

25. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    yep.

6 hours of the Glen was like watching amateur racing after LM24. mainly because for the most part, it is.