575 stick driving impressions? | FerrariChat

575 stick driving impressions?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Themaven, Jul 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Does anyone have long term driving experience of a 575 stick compared to a similar 575 F1 and/or 550 they would like to share? I've been offered a 575 stick with FHP. I have a 550 and love it, and have driven an F1 575 FHP extensively, but am interested, is the 575 stick the ne plus ultra? I have driven one once, and liked it a lot, but it was a short drive and I would love to hear from an owner who has comparative experience. I'm not talking about values here. The cognoscenti argument goes that 575 stick is the last Ferrari designed as a manual three pedal and you know it when you own it. True/false?

2. fc_11

fc_11 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    NY
    Had the holy grail of 575s - a 2005 HGTC with a stick - sold it last year (sigh). Also have driven other 3 manual 575s (non-HGTC). It was a great car but honestly I like the 550s I've driven better. Mechanical throttle and damping setup on the 550 feels more direct and stable. Squat, dive and roll on the 575 non-HGTC is atrocious, HGTC cleans up the roll and does a bit for squat and dive but not quite enough IMHO. Also the carbon brakes caused numerous oh-**** moments in the cold or slightest bit of rain.

No question 575s with a stick are collector's items, but the 550 has a more Italian driving experience (the 575 is tuned a bit too German). Testament to that - I've been looking for the right 550 since I sold the 575.

3. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I've had my 3 pedal for over 8 years and daily drive it for over 3.

I don't have 550 experience but I did have a Maserati CC (F1) for 3 years prior. Honestly, it's a great car but so are the F1s. I love the 3 pedal but miss the f1 too. Any softness/hardness issues can be tuned to your liking with some money (if you already have FHP you should be good).

It comes down to what you want. You won't regret the 575 3 pedal. And if you do, you won't lose anything on the resale.

4. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I agree with FC 11.

The 575 feels a bit softer than the 550. I've been told that FHP addresses that, but truth be told, at least to me, they are two enitiry different cars. (550 vs 575 6spd). Not that one is necessarily better, just different. The 575 is much more refined, more comfortable and a bit more "solid" in my opinion.

That being said, I'd jump at any opportunity to own a 575/6. Such a cool rare car, and a true last of breed from Maranello.

5. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Is driving a 575M manual a great experience?
    Yes.
    Does the difference in the driving experience between that and the F1 justify costing a third or more than the paddle car? Its subjective but probably not.
    Funny thing is with all that torque in normal road driving you dont do a lot of gear changing. Back and forth between 5th and 6th on the motorway, 4th mainly on the twistier stuff.

6. X-TNSIV

X-TNSIV Formula Junior

May 2, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Maybe reach out to "alex550575430" he has a lot of experience behind a manual 575

7. boxndoc1

boxndoc1 Karting

Jan 25, 2007
    North America/Italy
    i have both a 575 stick and a superamerica f1
    and they are both great .. but if i had to say which
    is more pleasure ,, (taking away the convertible aspect )
    it would be the stick 575 .. i really love that car i own
    a few ferraris with sticks , the 575 is the best one i have !!
    however i do not have any 550 experience so not sure what to
    say about that except as a financial investment both will work, but
    i think the 575 is better investment ..

8. cgt

cgt Karting

Sep 2, 2005
    London
    I've owned a 575 manual and two 550's. Honestly the best of the lot was my early 1997 550 which for some reason felt more eager and sharper than the other two. I really did not detect much difference in the drive between the 575 and 550 (575 was FHP) but I slightly preferred the dials and interior of the 550.

Though not finished as well as the 575, the design of the earlier car was more classically Ferrari to me.

Any manual V12 is a great car!

9. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Buy it if it is good car. My wife drives a stick F430 and it is (1) wildly engaging and (2) the only car we have that is NOT depreciating. You won't regret it.

10. Emartleb

Emartleb Karting

Dec 6, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Val Beltrame
    Before purchasing my 550, I drove two 575s (both MY 2002, both F1, both non FHP cars) and they left me cold. Disappointed, I was going to purchase something non-Ferrari but then, on a whim, took a test drive in a 550. To me the difference was night and day; the 550 was much more responsive and, frankly, felt faster and better handling than either of the 575s. The second 550 test drive was in a different car, this one with FHP, sport seats, a "minimalist" exhaust, and Barchetta wheels. I bought this car and it is an absolute ANIMAL. My mechanic says it's the best Maranello he's ever driven. Not one issue, no CELs, no overheating, no wonky shocks, no problems, period. Just regular maintenance (which is quite reasonable by Ferrari standards) and lots of gas.

The purchase was now 5 years ago and I've never looked back.

11. Jürgen Geisler

Jürgen Geisler Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    #11 Jürgen Geisler, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    ....very honest and valuable commants to your question Daruis. You'll not receive anything as this qualified from my side as well...

Just my five cents......

Depending on your intention to own the car, the 550 actually seems the best compromise... Still relatively affordable, without a doubt great driving expiriences, manual gated - classic instruments, high quality interior (seat layout/stitching different). No commants, that a manual gated 575 has any real advantages compared to the 550 models.

Surely, the pure production numbers will lead you to a manual gated 575, but already the entrance is imho to high. Certain, you'll take the right decision, but I still consider your personal beautiful Maranello as one of the best and most valid on the market.

Saluti,

Jürgen

12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Very interesting comments and replies, thank you. I have now driven the car in question, briefly, and it seems to be 90% refined, 10% animal, although maybe that's wishful thinking. I appreciate this knowledgable input from all. Will ponder, very tempted.

13. alex550575430

alex550575430 Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2009
    LOS ANGELES, CA
    Full Name:
    LIN ALEX
    Yes, indeed. I have owned over the past 10 plus years or so...

Thanks for refering.

Alex

14. F.Engineering

F.Engineering Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 23, 2015
    ITALY
    Full Name:
    Fabio
    Hello,
    this is my personal little contribute, granted that i never driven a standard 575 ....

I had for 5 years a red/black 550 of 1998 (buy on 2007) that i have traded on 2013 for a red/beige HGTC F1 of 2004, and i'm too happy of this car!!
    I was happy also of 550, was a great car, nice handling, no problems, and i never want to traded for a standard 575 because i think are more similar and the differences are thin .... I want only traded for a rare HGTC, and when i found one i bought!
    Personally i prefer the 575 interior, i like the big rpm counter in the middle of the dashboard, this make a racing car scent ....
    The major difference between the two cars, obviously, is the handling, i love very much the HGTC set up, in comparison to the 550, rolling and pitching are very little and feeling steering is incredible....
    When i drove for less time the gate was nice, but when i drove for long time at the evening my left leg was tired .... also for this i'm happy of my F1 gearbox that are comfortable and sporty as i want ...

Notes about 550/575 gearboxes:
    You need to remember every time one thing: maranello have one big clutch disc plus one transmission shaft, those have and not little moment of inertia, at every gear shift the energy of those system (not little) will be dissipated by the interested synchronizer, in order to make the gear shafts to the same rpm before grafting.

Now start the gearbox differences:

- 550 have double cone synchronizer type on 1 and 2 gear, and single cone for other gear.
    - 575 have triple cone synchronizer type on 1 and 2 gear, and double cone for other gear, exactly the same synchronizers of 612 and 599!

With double, and more on triple, cone synchronizer is possible increase the torque synchronizing and at the same time reduce the synchronizing force, then reduce also the hand lever force for the shift...

This is the reason because some 550 have problems with the gearbox and sometimes the second not want to enter, but not on 575 ..... (i replaced 3 & 4 synchronizer on my old 550)

Who of us that that both 550 and 575, can confirm that the shift lever force are little bit less on 575.
    My gearboxes considerations are real, but not mandatory, if you change gear less, or not like to drive fast, this problem is not present... 550 will work good for more years .....

However at the end if you want to enjoy your car driving, i think the choice between manual and F1 on a 575 is only a personal taste .....

Best regards and good luck!

15. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
    Good input Fabio! It had slipped my mind that the 575M featured improved synchos - benefitting both the manual and F1 versions so a back to back test between a manual 575M and a 550 would indeed be enlightening.

The possibility that the F1 might end up crunching the gears when shifting was one of the mental blocks that I had to overcome when deciding to go for a 575M F1 over a 550 as I had a basic fear that it might be impossible for the system to exercise the requisite level of 'mechanical sympathy' over the longer term, especially from cold...

It turns out that the car has our back here as in addition to the beefed-up synchros, the F1 TCU relies on an input from a temperature sensor in the 'box. Even if the car is in Sport mode, the F1 TCU will not initiate its fastest gear changes before the 'box is fully up to temp.

16. F.Engineering

F.Engineering Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 23, 2015
    ITALY
    Full Name:
    Fabio
    Yes Mogul,
    the most reason that Ferrari passed to multiple cones was the F1 system, this system is not like a man .. in that sense, if during shift the gear not enter, the man not pull over and waiting or try again, the F1 software need one system where the gear insert every time the gear ....
    For sure there is control loop, but is for limit cases.

One thing is not clear for me, why on the black 599 manual, that is on youtube video taken in Montecarlo, the 2 gear never entry ....

17. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thanks again, Fabio, Mogul, really great detail knowledge that this board is famous for. (I wonder if the Ferrari tech I would get to do the PPI would know all this. Doubt it.) Alex I will PM you if this becomes a very likely purchase, wouldn't want to waste your time before then, tho any more general impressions welcome!