Will the 960 succeed as a competitor? | FerrariChat

Will the 960 succeed as a competitor?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Super_Dave, Aug 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Super_Dave

Super_Dave Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Will the upcoming Porsche 960 succeed as a major competitor against Ferrari, McLaren and Lambo?

Maybe it's obvious that it will but curious about everyone's thoughts.

My guess is that it will be perceived to slot in more closely to McLaren but who knows for sure?

Is the market starting to feel crowded? I am all for more options and am a huge fan of Ferrari, McLaren and Porsche cars. The turbo and GT3 play in Ferrari's space (in my opinion) but if they make this more stylistically aligned with the 918, it could get that exotic angle down too... which Porsche generally lacks.

2. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
  3. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
  4. Super_Dave

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Sorry, new car, will be 2017 model I believe. Mid engine, specs should be 600hp+, positioned above the Turbo S.

If they keep it relatively lightweight, should be a mid-2s 0-60 and mid/high 10s quarter car but w/the more balanced mid engine layout (918 light?)

Rendering I saw looked pretty unappealing to me personally but they will likely tweak significantly before actual release.

5. Super_Dave

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That's the render I saw. I hope they fix the looks. Bit unclear to me where it will fit on sports vs. GT spectrum but even their "GT" cars can run mid 7s on the Nurburgring so I imagine this will be somewhere in the 7min - 7:20 range.

Can't hate on variety!

6. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    They all look the same.

7. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    The article states a larger looking cayman. no problem with that if they fix the hideous rear. I am pretty sure that Porsche will kick all the others and become the class dominant. Even the turbo s with the "flawed" lay out can kick pretty much anything.

8. jehu999

jehu999 Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    Coastal Central Fl
    Full Name:
    James
    I hope they get an Italian designer!!!

9. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    It just may be a great car . needs to look a little more exotic..

10. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm a porsche fan and the looks of the 918 IMHO were dated before the car was released. This is worse...get Marcello Gandini on the case ASAP.

11. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This, although the door handle was the turd in the ballroom of this rendering.

Regardless, I'm so glad they're coming out with a "supercar" to fill the gap between the "megacar" Turbo S and the "hypercar" 918 Spyder. I'm always getting stuck behind the Turbo S at stoplights, and constantly wish the car could just get up and move a bit faster.

Really?? I saw an orange one at Porsche of San Diego recently -- not my favorite color -- and I think it's Porsche's best design since the 1950s. (And better than any post-F40 Ferrari I can think of.)

12. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Bertone's Gorgeous 1966 Porsche 911 Roadster

It's all in the eye of the beholder......