2015 Indy Car | Page 45 | FerrariChat

2015 Indy Car

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Jan 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Just saw on ESPN....very sad news, truly a "tragic accident".

R.I.P....prayers for the family he left behind. ��

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

oh no. I am crushed. this is so ******** sad. r.i.p. Justin;(

3. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    #1105 Heat Seeker WS6, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dammit.

I got this shot of Andrea as she just got done speaking with him during the Milwaukee race weekend. -that's him walking away. What a terrible loss. Godspeed badass
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    IndyCar star Wilson succumbs to Pocono head injury | IndyCar news | Motorsport.com

IndyCar racer Justin Wilson has sadly passed away following his accident in Sunday’s 500-mile race at Pocono. He was 37.

Wilson succumbed to head injuries sustained on lap 180 when he struck the nose section from the debris of Sage Karam’s car, which had crashed out of the lead of the race ahead of him.

Wilson was unconscious when the Holmatro safety team arrived at the scene and was immediately airlifted to a local hospital, Lehigh Valley Health Network Cedar Crest Hospital in Allentown, Pa.

He was listed in critical condition and in a coma, from which he never woke.

Wilson won three races during his IndyCar career, the first coming at Detroit in 2008 for Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing.

He also won two races for the tiny Dale Coyne Racing operation – at Watkins Glen in 2009 and the Texas event in 2012, which was his first triumph on ovals.

He also finished in the top five in the 2013 Indy 500.

A hugely-successful racing career

Wilson started racing in 1995, in Formula Vauxhall Junior, and was also a multiple race winner in Formula Vauxhall with Paul Stewart Racing. He won the 1998 Formula Palmer Audi championship, and progressed to FIA Formula 3000, winning the title in 2001 with Nordic Racing.

Wilson made his Formula 1 debut in 2003 with Minardi. Although good results were difficult to achieve with the tiny squad, his performances were good enough to earn him a call-up to the Jaguar team to replace Antonio Pizzonia for the final five races of the season.

Wilson scored his first, and only, F1 World Championship point at that year’s United States Grand Prix at Indianapolis when he finished eighth.

After losing his drive to the well-funded Christian Klien for 2004, Wilson switched his attention to the United States, contesting the Champ Car World Series.

He made his debut with Conquest Racing before moving on to a highly successful partnership with the RuSPORT team.

He would score four race wins in Champ Cars at RuSPORT: two in 2005 (Toronto and Mexico City) plus one at Edmonton in 2006 and another at Assen in ’07. He subsequently moved to IndyCars.

The Sheffield-born driver won the 2012 Daytona 24 Hour sportscar classic with Michael Shank Racing, partnering AJ Allmendinger, Oswaldo Negri and John Pew. In a varied career he also raced in the Le Mans 24 Hours, Formula E, V8 Supercars, World Series by Nissan, FIA GT and the American Le Mans Series.

Wilson had been on the sidelines at the start of this season, but Andretti Autosport put together a part-time campaign and was highly-regarded by engine supplier Honda. He finished second in the recent Mid-Ohio event.

Motorsport.com sends its condolences to Justin’s family and many friends.

5. ferraripete

godspeed badass. I have chills. what a sad day. I hope his family finds strength.

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #1108 GuyIncognito, Aug 24, 2015
  7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Tragic. RIP

8. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
  9. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    if you are so inclined:

Wilson Children's Fund
    C/O INDYCAR
    4551 West 16th Street
    Indianapolis, IN 46222

10. ferraripete

I suspected you had a connection. damn saddened for this loss. send our best to andrea please;(

11. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Damn! RIP, Justin...

12. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    This is a very sad day for racing enthusiasts and participants.
    I met Justin at Barber M'sports Park about 5 years ago and talked with him at least twice at the 24 Hrs. of Daytona. Very, very nice man. He was a great ambassador for England and for motorsports, and all of us were enriched by his passing our way. He left us far too early, as did fellow Brit Dan Wheldon, and I greatly sympathize with his family and fellow competitors.

13. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    With absolute sincerity, thank you Pete I will pass it along.

Yes we do. Milwaukee Indyfest via Andretti Sports Marketing is one of our karting sponsors and she her brothers have also grown friendships with several drivers with things they've done in the past. I had some time with him during the '12 Baltimore GP weekend and and his brother Stefan gave us pace car rides around the Milwaukee Mile.

14. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    No, just no - I can't believe he's passed. RIP Badass, you will be missed! :(

15. ferraripete

that was a nice post david. thank you.

16. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    RIP Justin; you will not be forgotten.

Thanks for the link Guy.

17. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I did some iracing against him a few years ago when he was recovering from a broken back and he was always really cool, would answer everyone's questions and even give advice ;) he was fast too, of course.

my condolences to you and Andrea.

18. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

"Deepest sympathies from *everyone* at Fchat."

As noted in the F1 thread, one of racings true "good guys".

Dayum. :(

RIP
    Ian

19. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Sorry to hear that.

Kai

20. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    RIP Justin. For some reason yesterday morning I thought of Greg Moore, I just didn't know when I flipped the tv on I'd have to see such a sad thing happen again. It seems like it's been a rough year for motorsports.

21. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I could not agree more. After all of these years I have in some way been around motorsports, this news does not get any less easy. In fact, it just gets worse.

22. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    #1125 Heat Seeker WS6, Aug 24, 2015