Anyone know what this clicking is? | FerrariChat

Anyone know what this clicking is?

Discussion in '360/430' started by marky1, Aug 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #1 marky1, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    See video, filmed in the compartment where the brake fluid tank is in front trunk. Seems to have started after I had a flat battery. Starts clicking as soon as I turn ignition on (and doesn't seem to stop although once engine is on I can't tell) It is really loud never heard anything like it before.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Noise solved don't know the cause. When I pulled out the fuse for the a/c system in the front footwell the clicking stopped. Put fuse back in and clicking is gone. Will see how it goes.

3. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    That is odd, never heard it on any of mine. I suspect you have an issue coming out. But good for you, catching odd noises like that will save you big money. I would bring it to you service guy and show him, may be as simple as changing the air dryer, these cars are getting older and need some attention.

4. London

London Karting

Aug 29, 2009
    London
    The only thing I can think of that is supposed to 'click' in that part of the car is the TGK valve (p/n 65066400), which regulates the flow of hot water to the cabin heater, so I guess it would make sense that it stops if you pull an AC-related fuse. However that sounds way too loud to me for a TGK valve...

5. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Strange isn't it. I wonder if something is about to quit!

6. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    Hello! Curious if the ticking ever came back? I am having the same issue with the TGK valve clicking, so I just ordered a new one today from Ricambi.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
  8. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    Also, did you do that with the key in the on position?

9. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    So, I tried this trick of taking the AC fuse out, turning key to on, then turned key to off, put back in the fuse, turned the key to on and now its acting as if I have a dead battery ( the F1 pump is what you hear clicking now). Please see the video and let me know if anyone has any suggestions...

10. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    So, I put it on the charger and all works normal, the TGK valve has even stopped ticking as per others experience.

Qavion likes this.
  11. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I'm starting to get the same clicking the OP reported. Where is this AC fuse that supposedly stopped the noise once unplugged and plugged back in? Also, is the presence of the noise an early indication the battery may need changed soon?

12. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    Its in the "A" position: https://fusecheck.com/ferrari/ferrari-f430-2004-2009-fuse-diagram

BlacktopRacing likes this.
  13. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Daryl - Awesome, thanks. Just as others have experienced, when I removed the fuse and reinstalled it, the ticking noise went away. This brings me to the other question I posed, which is; is this an early indication the battery is dying? Or is it possibly an indication some other part is failing and will need replaced? On a side note, I noticed I was not getting any heat. I'm not sure if this has been resolved along with the noise, because I haven't driven it to warm it up, but may do so later today.

Daryl Zernick likes this.
  14. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    Your are welcome! The fact you did not have heat is a symptom of that TGK valve not working properly. Now that you do not hear the clicking, you will have heat. Regarding the battery, all I know on this is that when I put my fuse back in the, the battery was drained, would not start the car, and had to be put on a charger. That could be because of all the fiddling around I was doing, turning the ignition on and off several times. So, it does make me wonder if possibly that was the problem all along, just an about to be dead battery. However, I was able to run the car normally and had no issues with the battery until this one incident. Since then I have had no problems with the battery or the TGK valve. You have to love these Ferrari's! They need attention like beautiful woman!!

15. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Have the battery load tested. That would tell you the status of the battery.
    Also why I tell my grease-monkey friends who work on their own cars to get one of these.
    This is the one I have and it works great for testing with the battery in the car.... from Amazon.ca (no affiliation)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Daryl Zernick likes this.
  16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Looks like a Holley Double Pumper, not sure what kind of monkey that is.

17. FiatAbarth850

FiatAbarth850 Karting

Aug 2, 2020
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Full Name:
    Bill H.