458 speciale - how important is the nart stripe?? | FerrariChat

458 speciale - how important is the nart stripe??

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by db9man, Sep 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. db9man

db9man Karting

May 24, 2009
    Full Name:
    RossoCorsa
    Question for you guys:

There are a bunch of 458 Speciales out there and surprisingly to me, many have no NART stripe. How important do you think this is to the long term or short term value of the car? Most of us all agree the car is going up over long term (short term we probably mostly think it will cool off when 488s come to market) but do you think this dramatically could impact long term value?

Obviously depends on the othe features on the car and how much carbon etc etc. and color of the body too. But stripe seems pretty important no?

I've seen Scuds with no stripe and they seem to trade far less than those with the stripe.

Obviously we know the NART stripe is an insane $11k (?) but that's besides the point.

Thoughts?

2. Hamishmoon

Hamishmoon Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    Blairgowrie,Scotland
    Full Name:
    Hamish
    Just a thought maybe more important in the North American Market but many UK also have them, maybe all down to personal taste.:)

3. mkultra

mkultra Formula 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    MK Ultra
    It's pretty much down to personal preference. Since the launch car(s) had them, many will argue it is a requirement. Then there are those who will say it is rare and more pleasing to not have the nart or other combination of racing livery.

4. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    #4 spyderman, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I didn't go with the Nart stripe but I did go with the Scuderia like stripe on my car. I like look and it highlights the specialness of the car...no pun intended. But, like some have said it's a personal preference and the choice is up to you.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Hamishmoon

Hamishmoon Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    Blairgowrie,Scotland
    Full Name:
    Hamish
    very tastefull:)

6. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    No effect at all.

-CD- likes this.
  7. db9man

db9man Karting

May 24, 2009
    Full Name:
    RossoCorsa
    Thanks -- one example of a reason is because there is a 2015 Speciale at a California dealer without the NART stripe but a pretty awesome combo: rosso corsa with the factory matte black roof. It basically has a 599 GTO like combination (I noticed tons of gto's also didn't go with the stripe).
    And it has the all red alcantara seats -- never seen all red seats on a Speciale.

The steering wheel also pretty interesting: tri color stitching in the red white green.

Otherwise mostly standard so it's really about the color combo.

One issue is 4k miles already on a 2015!

http://www.ferrarisiliconvalley.com/certified/Ferrari/2015-Ferrari-458+Speciale-silicon-valley-ca-b49fd5220a0a00307d12d480fe2761b8.htm

Thoughts?

8. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    I am always amazed at a Scuderia or Speciale/Speciale A without a stripe. Personally and this is just MHO, it is part of the character of these models. I would not buy one without a stripe whether it's the nart, scud or some other stripe design.

9. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    To clarify, having a NART stripe will have no added value. But I think the above is correct. The 458 Speciale needs a stripe. Can be any stripe. Those cars without a stripe will suffer resale value wise....in my opinion.

10. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    +1.

11. skinguy23

skinguy23 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2011
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve

The interior reminds me of a challenge stradale that I saw a few years back with all of that alcantara. Anyway, I have been told to stay away from red alcantara as it fades over time into a pink color. Not sure how long that takes, but keep it in mind. I agree that the car should have some kind of stripe (if you care about resale). I had a nice low mileage red scud with stripes and when I went to sell it, I discovered that the stripes were not original from the factory. They were added by a previous owner. They were perfect and indistinguishable from the factory ones (probably better from what I've read about some of the speciales). Most dealers wouldn't touch it and I took a hit because the stripes were not factory. They said same as if I didn't have stripes.

Bottom line is get what you like. But if you care about resale in the short term (couple years) get a car with a stripe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. dolphins08430

dolphins08430 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2011
    My Dealer told me when I was ordering miy car to have a stripe or painted roof for resell.
    I went with the painted roof....

13. Mbn

Mbn Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    It's important to the owner.

And i do agree a Speciale needs a stripe (I like the Scuderia style more).

But Nart looks nice too.

Mbn

14. michael243

michael243 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Michael
    From what I can tell, MOST speciales have a variation of a stripe

15. ONEOFEW

ONEOFEW Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2006
    LA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Racing livery is part of lightweight car's character. Not having it most likely will have effect on the resale.
    I look at it this way, when buying a Speciale off the showroom floor you really don't have a choice, but if you're lucky enough to have an allocation go with what pleases to you, not what the book suggests.

16. amerifrikaner

amerifrikaner Karting

Nov 19, 2014
    USA
    +1

17. abdulla.alhajri

abdulla.alhajri Karting

Jul 16, 2015
    I Bought mine second hand without the stripe and i could only knock out $5000 dollars of the price. Plus I had to do it my self later but resale value of speciale without the stripe is not that bad. Hence I would not rule out a speciale just because it has no stripe as an option.

18. db9man

db9man Karting

May 24, 2009
    Full Name:
    RossoCorsa
    Makes a lot of sense. Bottom line here is I agree that one without a stripe will have less resale value and less demand over long term. Question is how much and does it really bother oneself.

I bet a Scuderia with a stripe is $10k more but just a guess for two comparable cars.
    $220 vs say $210....

19. Maadalfa

Maadalfa Karting

Aug 19, 2014
    Whenever you buy a Ferrari you buy YOUR car, not the car of somebody buying it from you in 20 years. Nobody knows what the market will do in some years but one is for sure: The best value you can get is to enjoy your car every day!

20. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    #20 Camlet1, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Values in the UK for the Speciale are moving up because the car is now recognised as arguably one of the finest performance cars ever made. This will continue to deepen. With or without stripes.

When I bought mine in Spring 2014 I was in two minds over stripes. I have a few F cars and none have stripes. Go-faster stripes for a Ferrari? Seriously?

I decided it depended on the spec. I chose TdF, lots of carbon and black calipers. Cool and pretty. Which allowed me to use white stripes to add a touch of fun in keeping with the Speciale's character, as first noted by Rod.

Looking back I'm pleased I went for the stripe. It's a nice combo and fun. So much so I used the same for the SA.

Beez and ajr550 like this.
  21. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Both cars are stunning with the white stripe on Blue!!! ;)

22. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    that is a great looking combination...beautiful

23. Zlaatan

Zlaatan Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2005
    Couldn't agree more. It's impossible to tell what the market wants 5-10-20 years from now. How many times have we seen models that no one wanted suddenly skyrocket in price and become collector items?
    Wouldn't surprise me if the no stripe cars would be worth twice as much in 25 years because there are less of them or stripes on cars becomes illegal or whatever reason you can come up with.

But the real question is, is it worth having that stripe on your car if you don't want it, just for the potential higher sales price?

24. Euroryno

Euroryno Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    IMO don't get the stripe if you don't want it.

But consider what makes the car special in the first place. For example i've always wanted leather interior for a Ferrari but I opted for the standard CF seats (hard to call them just 'standard') with the 3-D fabric and alcantara. Reason being, as far as i'm aware you can get leather racing style seats in any of the current models. The 3-D fabric is only available in the light weight special addition series cars to my knowledge. To me this makes it special, now having owned the car (for just a week) I find myself very grateful I made the decision to spec the car in such a way that the car was designed. That being a track day roadgoing racer. In my mind this philosophy also suits the NART stripe rather than the Scudaria stripe which was obviously found on the previous model. Although, having said that, I think the Scud stripes work really well on white or yellow speciales. IMHO :)

25. aznflightfreak23

Apr 16, 2012
    If you're buying the Speciale for resale purposes I think having the factory stripe is a must. Looking at the 360CS market any car with a stripe is asking for more money. But if the Speciale is a keeper then you can go with or without livery.

I ordered my Speciale in white with Italian Livery. The car is too special to not have factory livery, 3-D Fabric, and alcantara. I leave the leather options for my V12 GT cars. Wish I could do radio delete for the Speciale but don't want to butt heads with FNA or factory.

Shack likes this.