250 Cabriolet 1697GT | Page 5 | FerrariChat

250 Cabriolet 1697GT

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Bobj, Oct 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Beautiful car! Wow. Really beautiful.

2. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    lovely stunning car. big compliments.

Carissimi saluti
    Ben

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Congrats!!!

That came out really well!

4. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    Thanks! It's taken a lot longer than I thought (over 2 years) and cost a lot more but I couldn't be more pleased! The rear bumpers just aren't on it those pics, sorry they all got a bit out of order. If you look at the pics with the hardtop on, in the last post, you can see them.

5. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #106 BBBBBBB, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    thanks very much, got confused. Please show more more more pictures, even of the interior.

Carissimi saluti
    Ben

6. tilomagnet

tilomagnet Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    Very beautiful and much more classy and "right" looking than in red pre-resto.

7. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    The car is at Dick Lovett Ferrari at the moment getting UK registered but will do when she comes home :)

8. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Very nice, thanks for sharing. What color leather is that for the interior?

john

9. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    It's connolly blue VM 3087 - as per the original (according to the factory) although I'm not sure how close the shades now are to the originals. I think connolly went bust and restarted in the meantime

10. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #111 BBBBBBB, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    Bob,

Hmm...not sure if Connolly restarted as leather manufacturer / trader.

There is a company called H.V.L claiming to being able to supply a matching quality. They also state
    "Even Ferrari Classiche is convinced now about this original classic looking Leather and started working with it in January 2009"

HVL - Exclusive Italian Interiors

Obviously i doubt H.V.L. to be producers of the leather, they seem to be traders. Anyway technically it is surely possible to produce Connolly matching leather whereever on this planet. Leathers are now mostly produced far away such as Bangladesh etc. (lower wages, lower environment standards).

Surely Connolly did not only have superb leathers (Autolux, Vaumol, etc.) but that great unique perfume...

(not all Connolly leathers were that good, because they had another quality called Autocalf -literally without profume and inferior leather quality - which was used on cheaper car brands such as Jaguar...)

There is another supplier (trader) called UKHIDE

http://www.ukhide.co.uk/brands/connolly/

which practically claims to supply Connolly quality as well. They claim to get that leather through members of the Connolly family which might be the same source as the H.V.L source.

May i ask you: is H.V.L. or UKHIDE the supplier of your leather ?

Carissimi saluti
    Ben

11. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    #112 Bobj, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    Well I don't know if they went bust or not but connolly are definately making leather now. The swatch I have has Connolly stamped on it. Also they have a website which looks pretty fresh.

They have all the original codes for the leather (mine in Vaumol 3087 which is the code I got from the factory sheets) but they have a load of other also, so if it's not the original company I guess they mush have bought it out or bought the rights

http://www.connollybros.co.uk/heritage.html

12. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #113 BBBBBBB, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    Bob,

you made my day !

many thanks for sharing. This is new to me and thats absolutely amazing that one of the Connolly family is back to business to continue their unique fantastic Autolux, Vaumol etc. leathers.

Looking into the fact it is one of the Connollys family (Jonathan Connolly) i have no doubt the leather to be real, genuine and correct, they always knew how to make the very special Autolux, Vaumol etc. leathers., next order will go to them.

God how do i love the smell of real genuine and correct Autolux and Vaumol Connolly leathers, any time i enter a real Connolly equipped car i just take a fresh breeze of that perfume.

They stopped trading some time ago, not bust just stopped trading if memory is right due to some financial problems.

Since then i got the hides from UKHIDE (nice Autolux and Vaumol style leather, but not the correct Connolly feel and smell).

There was and is another company which produces and produced leather goods which is not Connolly family or Connolly company anymore since many years if memory is right:

Connolly London | Luxury Leather Goods

Amazing your car got the 100 % Connolly family made correct leather, that is awesome !

CONNOLLY

***** 5STARS !

Have a nice day
    Carissimi saluti
    Ben

13. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    You're welcome! I can certainly confirm it is lovely leather :)

14. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Is this the car?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Gr. Martin

15. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    Yes! I'm pretty sure it is! I assume you took that at Toni Auto? I don't recognise the plates on it but I assume they put those on to test it.

16. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Picture taken at Toni Auto and dealer plates I believe.

Gr. Martin

17. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Hi Ben,

Before ordering, may I suggest calling Henk van Lith at HVL about genuine Connolly leather. He has all the original stuff from just before the old Connolly went bust. His opinion about the new Connolly might differ from what you've posted.

No afilliation, just wanted to give you an oppertunity to broaden your perspective.

18. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #119 BBBBBBB, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
    Dear Peter,
    thank you very much for your kind info. What you say sounds extremly interesting as it seems it is not stated on the HVL website.

The HVL website unfortunately states:

"After the closing of the Connolly leather factory in England in 2002 there was a big leather supply problem. Connolly was the supplier of exclusive leather for the world's most luxurious cars.

There was a big leather supply problem .... not any more! Read on please ......

Since 2002, when the Connolly Leather Factory closed their doors, many suppliers were trying to remake this classic Leather again, unfortunately without desirable result.

Because the 100% original quality of work and materials which HVL Exclusive Italian Interiors presents to its respected Ferrari customers from all over the world,

*****HVL started up its own leather line*****.

It was a difficult procedure but after a long time HVL finally succeeded. We are thrilled with the superb results and so are our clients. Even Ferrari Classiche is convinced now about this original classic looking Leather and started working with it in January 2009.

We are proud, to introduce this top quality leather to the world. Therefore, I wish to show photos of the Connolly Leather samples which HVL use as reference to make the original color and grain for the leather used in the Classic Ferrari's.

All the samples you see below (click the small photos below to enlarge), are different in color and do have the original old Connolly color number.

*****The HVL Class leather can be made*****

in every color, thickness, hardness, kind of painting (only the top or in a dye vat) in the old Vaumol crushed grain, old Vaumol luxan grain and on the old Autolux way.

This all without loosing the natural open structure. Even the smell of the leather is back!

Delivery can be per color, per car and of course all over the world.

*****We are making a special selection of already the highest quality of hides to make this HVL class Leather 100% the way it was meant to be.*****

I also wish to show a picture

*****of the already made HVL leather*****

Old Crushed grain in combination with the classic Vaumol Connolly Leather Crushed Grain, which is placed on a hide of HVL Old Luxan Grain Leather. This hide is made like Connolly Luxan Grain Leather. The delivery time is approximately 8 weeks."

HVL - Exclusive Italian Interiors

Perhaps it would be nice if HVL could update their website accordingly ?

Anyway i always order a small test quantity first (one complete hide as sample) and then go on with the regular order once the sample is acceptable.

As you say "original stuff from just before the old Connolly" would be really sensational if made before 2002 by the old Connolly company and if it is Autolux, Vaumol etc. (not Autocalf which unfortunately is just lower quality leather used in Jaguar etc.) and if actually available.

Thanks very very much for your kind information again which i highly appreciate as extremly important input.

I hope Bob does not feel offended as we are slightly walking away from the original thread: 250 Cabriolet 1697GT...Sorry Bob.

Best regards
    Carissimi saluti
    Ben

19. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
  20. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    No problem, happy to start a thread that might live on post my restoration :)

21. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    To possibly start another spin off... what's the consensus on wing mirrors? I must admit I am use to driving with them and feel a bit naked without, but they can tend to ruin the line. What mirror options are there for a 1960's Ferrari? I know the talbot bullet mirrors were pretty popular and they work pretty well on my 904 but are there other options? Will try and live without them initially, should be fine with the top down - I am reluctant to start drilling holes in the now pristine bodywork...

After we have bottomed this one out we can talk about seat belts...

22. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    My vote is a NO on the mirror and the seat belts. There are workarounds that don't require drilling the paint (see Post #81 of the TdF picture thread as an example). If you have to have the belts try to fit something that suits the vintage of the car.

john

23. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    #124 John Vardanian, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I saw this recently on an Aurelia coupe. It's done very nicely I think. Mine is more makeshift than this, though it has held up well for 13 years now. But, I took this picture thinking I might make something similar to replace mine.

john
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    That does look tidy thanks, is that something you could buy off the shelf? Actually looks like a rear view interior mirror, rather than a wing mirror?