Cavallino Classic concorso entrance fee has doubled 200$!!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Cavallino Classic concorso entrance fee has doubled 200$!!!

Discussion in 'Florida' started by treedee3d, Oct 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Pardon my ignorance on the topic Brian but If they don't ever pay the judges and they don't give them anything (not even cover their expenses) why do judges go to do all this work at these concours?

Is it for the prestige? What's the incentive?

2. K1Spyder

K1Spyder Rookie

Mar 3, 2010
    Ft Luderdale
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    For anyone coming down here just for the event your far better off going to Pebble Beach and Classico Italiano in Monterrey much better selection of cars both quality and quantity and Monterrey is just as nice to visit as Palm Beach

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #28 Rifledriver, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    We consider the preservation of the cars and their history important. We have judges fly in from Switzerland, Austria, Germany, UK, Hawaii, Canada Italy, Holland and Australia. Those books you read about Ferrari's? Many are written by the judges at these events. Sometimes we get pastry and coffee for breakfast and a sandwitch lunch for our efforts. Our work starts long before the event and ends long after. At Cavallino I typically get there at 7:30 or so and do not get out of the Chief Class Judges meeting until after all the cars and people are gone so I can go out and get a late dinner

If the entry fee isn't worth it to you move out of line because there are a bunch of people behind you waiting.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They are not...

However, she is a member here, so will be able to see everyone's comments.

5. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe

Good. They should be aware that some of their most loyal patrons (I have attended about 20) are concerned about ticket prices. As I commented above, they should at least offer a discount for subscribers and advance purchases.

6. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    What, no AARP discount?

Sent via itty bitty electrons

7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    They increased the entry fee from $100 pp last year to $200 this year (and that doesn't include the $100 lunch where you have to steal a second 6 oz. can of soda [you are only allowed one can], or the $50 parking). We registered for this event last year.

I guess they raised the price to keep the riff raff out, and its working because I'm not going!

8. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Well, that's definitely a very admirable thing you guys "with the knowledge" do and I certainly appreciate it as a car enthusiast. It's still unfortunate, however, that you do not receive proper compensation to at least cover your expenses. I find it a shame...

9. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Our plans are already made for this year so there is no turning back now I will be there.

But the "bunch in line waiting behind me" won't have the 9 of us in the way next year. We will take in as much as we can this year because after that we're done!

And it's not a question of it being worth it or not. It's more of a principle. If they made it work last year at 100$, why double it this year? I understand it will be special because it's the 25th anniversary but how can you justify just doubling the price like that?

10. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Next year on Cavallino Saturday I think I'll be driving my Ferrari instead of looking at others'. It'll seem odd not being there though.....

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    In case you have not noticed, business, every business charges what the market will pay. It has no correlation to cost of the goods or services. That is how they justify it. A run of the mill house in a suburb in California is $1,500,000. Is it worth it? People are standing in line to buy, that makes the answer yes.
    If $200 is too much people wont go. If not they will. Quail is far more expensive, nearly double as I recall and in my opinion not as good a show and they stand in line to go.

12. E55amg9965

E55amg9965 Karting

Jun 13, 2012
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Well maybe for 200$ Thay will serve pastrys and sandwiches,then it might be worth it.

13. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I have a feeling that you're going to have a great experience. Last year the place was mobbed and, really, not very enjoyable as a spectator. And strollers, wow, I've never seen so many in one place this side of Disney. Maybe the $200 will knock down the crowds a bit and create a more leisurely environment.

That's my hopes anyway. :)

14. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    We took our 27 month old son to Disney World last Monday and it was like $112 per person plus $20 to park. Place was insanely packed at that price and 2/3 of the people there I have no idea how they afford it. So I doubt $200 ticket price to this event will thin the crowd too much. Good talking piece though.

15. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    for reference/perspective, the Quail this year was $600/head, if you could get a ticket.

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    But you get free food and drink......maybe $30 worth if you have a drinking problem.

I thought it was too high at $200 and I only had an hour and a half drive to get there.

But, people are voting with their wallet and it is still a full event.

17. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    oh believe me, I won't be going back to Quail; I am glad we showed the blue car there and got to meet Jackie Stewart, but it's definitely a "lifestyle" gathering. I'd rather eat a quick burger over a trash can in the pits at Laguna Seca during the Historics. Just pointing out that Quail has consistently been the leader for show ticket sticker shock for me for the last decade or so.

18. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    1K to take the family? I'm out.

19. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    FYI, their are rooms still available at The Breakers via their website. Prices start at $765 per night (3 nights) or $799 for Friday and Saturday (each night). These are considerably higher than my stay during the 2010 Cavallino (or was it 2011). Still, staying on-site is the best way to go.

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

All the Monterey events used to be car guy and gal events. Everyone had something in common and you could strike up a nice conversation with nearly any stranger about cars. Now most are destination events and many have no idea what they are looking at. That's fine, just has far less interest for me. It has suffered from it's own success and it's been great for those that benefit from the revenue.

Hot dog and a Coke in the paddock is much more rewarding.

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #46 Rifledriver, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    After looking at previous documents I receive I need to amend what I told you earlier. As far as Cavallino Classic goes we are given passes for the various events and typically a gift of a very nice book of some nature related to Ferrari. That is not insignificant and I do consider it quite generous. I often do not take advantage of other aspects of the event because of my personal time constraints. Sorry for the omission of that. Not meant to be misleading.

My overall point is for, the quality of the event, especially when compared to others it is a good deal. It's rare when you see that many cars of that quality and importance in one place (a very nice place) and why I think it will continue to do quite well.

22. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I agree. We stopped going to Monterey at least 10 years ago simply because we felt that as the auctions, shows, races, etc., grew larger and more prolific they became less interesting and more impersonal. I think the best value for money of all the major events is Amelia, and has been for several years.

23. Star-Garage

Star-Garage Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2010
    Delray, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Massari
    Cavallino was exciting to me the first time I went. It's been the same G-dam show ever since! There will be an Enzo or FXX as soon as you enter, a Jewlery store behind it, backup a little and hang a right, Ferrari PB on the right, Ferrari Ft. Laud on the left, guy selling engine that makes coffee for $10k on the right, F. Classiche on the left, Tubi on the right....
    Make a left over the little wooden bridge onto the lawn. Same G-dam cars in the same G-dam spots....
    The real SHOW is in the valet lot, that I have to sneak past or argue with a valet every year to see. I have to feel uncomfortable, like a criminal and quickly make my way through the lot while trying to take in everything I see, even though I paid entrance fee and valet/tip.
    For $200 now, I won't be going.
    Let me know if things get better...

24. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    Are we in Dubai?... oh well. At that price I will park across the street and parking-lot-watch
    ...in my Ferrari...ugh

25. Star-Garage

Star-Garage Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2010
    Delray, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Massari
    I'm not done,
    I would say, see you at the track, but I probably can't make it because I'll be working my ass off in the shop, same as last year, because I'm working class, fixing everyone else's cars, on THURSDAY and FRIDAY!!!!
    Why can't they have the G-dam Poney show on Sunday and track day on Saturday?!!!

Thanks for listening