Dino vs Dino at Fantasy Junction | FerrariChat

Dino vs Dino at Fantasy Junction

Discussion in '206/246' started by UroTrash, Oct 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Seriously. How can this get no comments?

3. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    Well I have the pleasure of having both a 2.4 Dino spider and a 246 GTS. Both are spectacular by completely different cars. The Fiat has always been undervalued and is really a beautiful car. Drives completely differently then the GTS. The Fiat is a true convertible. Certainly the Fiats are extremely uncommon cars particularly in the United States. I think that anybody who wants a spectacular car for their collection The Fiat Dino offer here certainly seems pretty nice.

4. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    When I saw the title of the thread I was originally thinking it was a thread on comparing the two 246 GT Dino's that they have on the market -- so you kinda surprised me with the Fiat!

5. Pantdino4

Pantdino4 Karting

Sep 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim Oddie
    Excuse me, but they want MORE for the Fiat than the Ferrari? I know the Fiat is rare but visually the cars are in different galaxies, to say nothing of handling

6. Dino246gts

Dino246gts Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    I don't know about everyone else, but I'm speechless.

7. frankwissman

frankwissman Karting

May 6, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Frank Wissman
    Well, how else can you define high market price without trying?

8. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Yes, please someone explain this. Fiat was always the go to car when the other was out of reach.

now: completely nuts.

9. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
  10. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    FJ had a beautiful Fiat Dino Spider 2.0 blue/blk $165k......really think market has doubled in 6 months? Understanding the pros/cons 2.0 vs 2.4...some in favor of the 2.0, but most give the nod to the 2.4 (IRS/ZF tranny/built alongside F-Dinos at factory). It is a breathtaking leap.

Much discussion last several months of how "undervalued" these cars are (were!)....so, just as Marshall Goldman tries to "set the market" with TR's, M's, Diablo's, FJ swinging for the fences here? FJ cars on measure tend to be upper-market, but nothing like this? Hell, who knows....remember watching 330 gtc go from 180-220 straight to 600-900? Ok, it is a real f-car, but with everything else out of reach....you know the rest.

Jack

11. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    agreed .. at least the dealer name is correct FANTASY junction...

12. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

24K vs 61K miles. ????????
    These guys have been around a long time. I remember them down on the end of Dwight Way......like over 30 years ago. They know what they are doing.

13. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  14. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Conversely......the 206 Fiat Dino is $165K (half the price) at Fantasy Junction. Interesting that Fiat Dino values are flopped from Dino Ferraris. Early 206 Fiat Dinos have knockoffs and the 2 liter alloy motor but with solid rear axles, 246 Fiat Dinos have bolt on wheels, 2.4 liter iron block, IRS rear suspension and more limited production.

Freeman

1968 Fiat Dino Spider

15. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    this french blue/blk 2.0 fit spider is the same car FJ listed (sold?) last year.....vin ending #715, also same asking price.

I cannot see the 2.4 fiat dino spider double the 2.0....many feel that due to all alloy motor, ko etc that the 2.0 is the way to go. Interesting but there it is,

Jack

16. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    The 2.4L Fiat Dino spider is a rare bird. Only 424 2.4L spiders were built (vs. 1133 2.0L spiders). The vastly improved rear suspension and gearbox on the 2.4L spider make it the one to have. Even though the bodies look quite similar on both cars, they share no body panels. The 2.4L Fiat Dino spider was assembled in the Ferrari factory.

If you want a true cabriolet driving experience with Pininfarina styling, powered by the 2.4L Dino motor, there is only one car to choose. One could argue that the 2.4L Fiat Dino Spider is finally priced appropriately compared to its Ferrari brethren.

Cheers,

Keith

17. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #17 4CamGT, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    One of the most beautiful versions of Pininfarina's Fiat Dino was a one-off coupe. Does this car still exist? The roof is visually light and elegant. It would be fairly straight forward to recreate this on a Spider as a hardtop or permanent coachbuilt exercise.

Freeman
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #18 4CamGT, Dec 22, 2015
    Another view.

Freeman
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #19 GIOTTO, Dec 22, 2015
  20. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Nice but not as elegant and light in my opinion.

Freeman

21. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Yes, first one is more elegant. Don't know where they are today. Maybe in private collections.

22. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
  23. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Much better IMO

24. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    A timeless design, complemented by the excellent color choice and superb quality of the restoration work. Congratulations! Fred

25. Tobi

Tobi Karting

Jun 24, 2011
    Alto Palatinato
    The asking price for the Fiat is indeed way out of range. But there is no real reason why the Fiat shall be cheaper than the Dino. The innards are the same and they are even all assembled in Maranello. They are on the same technical level while they are still different cars. The Dino is more like a little racer while the Fiat Spider is a great convertible and the Coupe is a really good Gran Turismo.
    The only reasons for the price difference are that the great name Ferrari is much more tied to the Dinos than to the Fiat Dinos and that the Dino GT is much more famous than the Fiats and that's why it's much more sough-after.
    By the way, forget asking prices and don't take them too serious.
    Another fun fact is that the Fiat Dino is always said a Fiat with a Ferrari engine. But in fact, the only thing from Fiat is the engine. However, the engine design is from Ferrari.