One and all Connolly leather thread for Vintage Ferrari | Page 3 | FerrariChat

One and all Connolly leather thread for Vintage Ferrari

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by BBBBBBB, Oct 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Colombo1

Colombo1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2009
    #51 Colombo1, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I used HVL leather in a recent Daytona restoration. Thick and challenging to work with, but nice stuff. Henk cares about getting it right.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

elmadi likes this.
  2. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Great. We need the names of the colours (according to language, market and era).
    Ben

3. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Very interesting.

I would think the booklets were made by Connolly (or outsourced in their order), as standard booklets for their different customers (Ferrari, Scaglietti, etc. and other brands like Jaguar, Daimler etc.).

Eventual special colours outside the large Connolly range of colours or special thickness / finish etc. probably sampled by individual sample.

That is how the textile industry did it way back then.

Right or wrong ?
    Ben

4. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Many thanks.
    Ben

5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Examples:
    "Crema" was the offical italian name in the Ferrari catalogue of a leather color that the British usually called "Magnolia".
    "Beige" was the official italian name during the 70s and 80s (outside of this topic scope) of a color that was called "Tan" in the US.
    Etc...

Rgds

6. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I personally would say 70ies and 80ies Connolly leather codes, pictures, names, etc. to be mentioned as well, because they are partially the same as the ones used until 1973.
    Ben

7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Here you will find a few answers...or new riddles, perhaps?

Leather Colors

As said by Fennicus, some names are now frowned upon as 'not politically correct"; I think that the Italian still use "Testa di Moro" today, but the (litteral) french translation is now forbidden here.
    Furthermore, very few owners actually know the exact Italian name of the leather or of the carpets of their cars: most 308s with Beige leather had "Brusciatto" (= light tan) carpets, but nobody knows that name...328s with beige leather had "Castoro" carpets, and nobody knows that name either.

Rgds

Rgds

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That looks great!!

9. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #59 BBBBBBB, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    Text of the link embedded:

"Ferrari mainly used Connolly leather during the 330 GT production run. Connolly leather came in several finishes. The Vaumol finish is a surface dyed color and it was used in most Ferraris through the 512BBi. The V8 production used the Autolux finish which is vat dyed on a thinner leather. In 1984, all production changed to Autolux until 2001 when Ferrari stopped using Connolly leather. Note, Connolly went out of business in 2002.

Ferrari also used a black leather from Franzi for some of the 330 GTs. The Nero Franzi is a surface dyed leather with a deeper and glossier black finish than the Connolly 8500.

The leather covered surfaces are:

Front seat
    Rear seat
    Door panel
    Dog leg panel
    Wheel well coverings
    Package shelf
    Strip glued under rear window
    Tunnel
    Console
    Gear shift boot
    Arm rest between the rear seat
    Hump between rear floor sections
    Hand brake cover
    Fuel lid release lever surround (Series 2 model)

Several other surfaces are covered in black leatherette (no matter what the leather color is):

A pillar
    B pillar
    Dash
    Padded bolster at bottom of dash
    Door arm rest
    Foot well kick panel
    Bolster under door window
    Bolster under quarter window
    Trunk catch bar surround

The four trim pieces around the headliner are covered with beige/gray leatherette.

This table is a list of the Connolly colors as known to have come as original leather in 330 GTs.
    Connolly #
    VM845 Beige Scuro
    VM846 Beige Scuro
    VM893 Rosso Scuro
    VM895 Verde
    VM3015 Blue
    VM3025 Blue
    VM3086 Rosso
    VM3087 Blue
    VM3095 Rosso
    VM3100 Beige
    VM3104 Orange
    VM3105 Blue
    VM3171 Rosso
    VM3195 Rosso
    VM3218 Beige
    VM3230 Grigio
    VM3323 Bianco
    VM3309 Beige
    VM8370 Verde
    VM8500 Nero

These are leather samples for some of the original colors available for a new 330 GT. The information comes from Keith Bluemel's Original Ferrari V12 book and the samples are courtesy of HVL Exclusive Italian Interiors."

Ben

elmadi likes this.
  10. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    You may want to add:

VM 887 Marroon
    VM 3209 Blu Scuro

Nero by Franzi was used from January 1965 on (on 330 GT 2+2's).

Marcel Massini

11. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    Interesting! What exactly is a perfect Ferrari restoration and what are the relevant parameters? Any examples?

12. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    So if this is the main problem, you and me must to run in the concours committees and began to assign a lot of 0 points to this folks....maybe something l'd change!

elmadi likes this.
  13. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    Franzi was the first company in Europe to tan with vegetable colors in early XX century.
    They provided leather for Touring and Zagato mostly. The company closed about 35 years ago.

14. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #64 BBBBBBB, Oct 20, 2015
    Great looking interior, many thanks.
    Ben

15. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    That is a good question.
    Ben

16. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #66 BBBBBBB, Oct 20, 2015
    More Franzi (Conceria Franzi) information and picture/s available please ?
    Ben

17. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #67 BBBBBBB, Oct 20, 2015
    elmadi likes this.
  18. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #68 BBBBBBB, Oct 20, 2015
    Picture is showing samples of a booklet believed to being a Connolly Vaumol Carrozzeria Scaglietti sample booklet:

VM846
    VM3282
    VM3015

Ben
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

elmadi likes this.
  19. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #69 BBBBBBB, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
    With Nerofer's and Marcel's posts we have now the 330 GT data. Compliments.

Just missing the names of some colours (for the various markets) and some pictures of the colours.

And we need the same kind of data for the other cars please.
    Ben

20. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Interesting thread. Does anybody know why Ferrari used Franzi for black leather? Seems like a very strange choice to use a different manufacturer for only one color.

21. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #71 BBBBBBB, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
    Summary Connolly leather for Ferrari 330 GT, date October 22nd, 2015:

Ferrari mainly used Connolly leather during the 330 GT production run. Connolly leather came in several finishes. The Connolly Vaumol finish is a surface dyed color.

I

The leather covered surfaces are:

Front seat
    Rear seat
    Door panel
    Dog leg panel
    Wheel well coverings
    Package shelf
    Strip glued under rear window
    Tunnel
    Console
    Gear shift boot
    Arm rest between the rear seat
    Hump between rear floor sections
    Hand brake cover
    Fuel lid release lever surround (Series 2 model)

II

Several other surfaces are covered in black leatherette (no matter what the leather color is):

A pillar
    B pillar
    Dash
    Padded bolster at bottom of dash
    Door arm rest
    Foot well kick panel
    Bolster under door window
    Bolster under quarter window
    Trunk catch bar surround

The four trim pieces around the headliner are covered with beige/gray leatherette.

III

This table is a list of the Connolly colors as known to have come as original leather in 330 GTs:

Connolly # and Colour
    VM845 Beige Scuro
    VM846 Beige Scuro
    VM887 Marroon
    VM893 Rosso Scuro
    VM895 Verde
    VM3015 Blue
    VM3025 Blue
    VM3086 Rosso
    VM3087 Blue
    VM3095 Rosso
    VM3100 Beige
    VM3104 Orange
    VM3105 Blue
    VM3171 Rosso
    VM3195 Rosso
    VM3209 Blu Scuro
    VM3218 Beige
    VM3230 Grigio
    VM3323 Bianco
    VM3309 Beige
    VM8370 Verde
    VM8500 Nero

The information comes from Keith Bluemel's Original Ferrari V12 book, Ferrarichatter Kerry's website, Ferrarichatter Nerofer and Ferrarichatter Marcel Massini.
    Ben

22. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    When i spoke with the grand-grandson in Milan some years ago, he told me he hadn't any documentation at all. Today he runs a shop in Milan and his goal is to plan a franchising under the Franzi brand.
    The tannery was in Monza, near Milan. In the '60s they expanded the market to the car world, supplying some brands as i said before. But the best products of the company were luggages, bags and chests. His grand-grandfather was considered the "italian Louis Vuitton" of the XIX century.

23. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Would love to know more. My 1966 330 GTC is Nero Franzi. I didn't realize that was a company - I assumed it was some shade, finish, or quality of nero-colored leather.

24. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #74 BBBBBBB, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    PG
    Many thanks and great data.
    I believe you have some pictures related to Franzi if my memory is right ?
    Ben

25. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #75 BBBBBBB, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    Franzi:

Velvet | Franzi, la sfida di Susanne per il "Louis Vuitton italiano"

I embedd some information to Franzi's history as stated in the aboved mentioned LA REPUBBLICA article:

"Poco nota alle masse, la storia di Franzi è piena di fascino e italianità. Comincia nel 1840, quando Rocco Franzi arriva a Milano per avviare una piccola impresa specializzata nella creazione di borse e valigie. Sono gli anni della prima rivoluzione industriale in Europa ed accanto al viaggio di piacere la gente comincia a muoversi per questioni di affari alla ricerca di nuovi mercati ed opportunità di sviluppo. Sveglio ed intraprendente, Felice, figlio di Rocco intuisce la potenzialità di questo nuovo settore di mercato e nel 1864 fonda la Valigeria Franzi, un piccolo e modesto laboratorio in una via centrale di Milano.
    Il business cresce, ed arrivano artigiani specializzati da ogni parte del mondo. Tra i "praticanti" c'è anche Guccio Gucci, che qualche anno dopo sull'insegna del suo negozio terrà proprio a precisare: "Già impiegato nella valigeria Franzi". Lungimirante ed internazionale Franzi decide che la distribuzione può avvenire solo in negozi monomarca e apre a Vienna, Genova e Roma. La terza generazione è rappresentata da Oreste, figlio di Felice che apre un negozio di carpenteria per la produzione delle strutture in legno delle valige e dei bauli e nel 1912 fonda la Conceria monzese, la prima in Europa a produrre cuoio trattato con prodotti vegetali. Nasce un cuoio speciale, che diventerà il "cuoio Franzi" e vengono aperti negozi a Londra, Napoli e Firenze. La quarta generazione, con Oreste si butta invece nel design e con l'architetto Cino Boeri produce una valigia in resina sintetica, Abs, tutt'ora in mostra permanente al Moma di New York. La guerra rompe il sogno.

La valigeria comincia a perdere clienti e a chiudere negozi. Nel 2005 resta solo un piccolo negozio in Brera a Milano..."

Google Translator:

"Little known to the masses, the story of Franzi is full of charm and Italian style. It begins in 1840, when Rocco Franzi comes to Milan to start a small business specializing in the creation of bags and cases. These are the years of the first industrial revolution in Europe and next to the leisure guests people start to move to issues of business looking for new markets and opportunities for development. Awake and enterprising, happy, son Rocco realizes the potential of this new market sector and in 1864 founded the Valigeria Franzi, a small and modest laboratory in a central street of Milan.
    The business is growing, and there's skilled craftsmen from all over the world. Among the "practitioners" include Guccio Gucci, who a few years later on the sign of his shop will just point out: "Already used in the luggage Franzi". Forward-looking and international Franzi decided that the distribution can take place only in single-brand stores and opens in Vienna, Genoa and Rome. The third generation is represented by Orestes, son of Felice that opens a carpentry shop for the production of wooden structures of suitcases and trunks, and in 1912 he founded the tannery Monza, the first in Europe to produce leather treated with vegetable products. Born a special leather, which will become the "leather Franzi" and are open shops in London, Naples and Florence. The fourth generation, with Oreste throws himself instead in design with the architect Cino Boeri produces a suitcase synthetic resin, Abs, still on permanent display at MoMA in New York. The war breaks the dream.
    The luggage began to lose customers and to close shops. In 2005 is only a small shop in Brera in Milan... "

Franzi, una storia di pellettieri del gran lusso - IlGiornale.it

I embedd some more information to Franzi's history as stated in the aboved mentioned IL GIORNALE article:

"La vera eleganza non è fatta di apparenza, ma di sostanza», diceva Oscar Wild», principe del dandysmo e del saper vivere. La storia della famiglia Franzi inizia più di un secolo fa, quando nel 1840, Rocco Franzi decide di stabilirsi a Milano interpretando a pieno lo spirito di cambiamento e di riscatto dell’epoca e apre una piccola impresa specializzata di borse e valigie a due passi dal Duomo.

Sono gli anni della prima rivoluzione industriale in europa e insieme al piacere di viaggiare gli artigiani-industriali scoprono il viaggio d’affari alla ricerca dei nuovi mercati e all’opportunità di sviluppo creativo e funzionale dei propri prodotti. Oggi il marchio viene rilanciato con i negozi in uno storico palazzo neoclassico in Corso Venezia 36 con una nuova collezione che fa moda, aprendo anche alle borsette, cinture e sempre a oggetti da viaggio. Il futuro della valigeria scelto da Rocco Franzi aveva un futuro felice ma fu il figlio Felice a coglierne appieno la potenzialità e a trasformare la fortunata intuizione del padre in un’impresa di altissimo livello. Così nel 1864 Felice fonda la Valigeria omonima, un modello di laboratorio nei pressi di via Manzoni. Il rapido successo di valigie e di bauli studiati per una sofisticata clientela che amava viaggiare da buon industriale illuminato sempre pronto a studiare i nuovi criteri di fabbricazione non esitò ad investire in macchinari d’avanguardia e in manodopera specializzata. Esperti pellettieri arrivarono dall’Austria e dalla Francia formando generazioni di artigiani arrivando così al primato nel settore. Un settore che iniziarono anche i Gucci a Firenze che nel 1900 selezionarono pelli pregiate e iniziarono a tingerle. Nel 1905 dopo il successo di Milano seguirono le aperture dei negozi a Roma, Genova, Roma, Londra, Vienna e proprio Felice Franzi fu uno dei primi prescelti a ricervere le insegne di cavaliere del lavoro. Già nel 1877 i Franzi venne nominato Cavaliere della Corona d’Italia e nel 1878 Ufficiale della Corona d’Italia, che portarono la Premiata Ditta Franzi a servire le REali Case di Sua Maestà Vittorio Emanuele II, Sua Maestà Reale il Principe Umberto, Umberto I, la Regina Margherita, il Principe Reale di Napoli, quello d’Egitto (il Khedive), il Re di Grecia, Sua Maestà Reale il Duca d’Aosta, il Conte di Torino e il Duca degli abbruzzi e il Re e la Regina d’Italia. Non si contano le onoreficenze conseguite dalla Franzi alle Esposizioni Internazionali del 1871 a Milano, nel 1873 a Vienna, 1877 a Pavia, 1878 a Parigi (qui fu un trionfo), 1879 a Monza, 1881 a Melbourne, 1881 ancora a Milano, tre anni dopo a Torino, nel 1894 ancora a Milano, nella famosa Esposizione del 1900 di Parigi, poi di nuovo a Milano nel 1906 e infine cinque anni dopo a Torino con Gran Premio e due Medaglie d’Oro. I Savoia arrivarono al punto di accordare a Franzi l’utilizzo della Corona della Casa Reale. Tra i due secoli entra in scena il figlio di Felice, Oreste, poco più che ventenne: aveva soggiornato in Oriente, viaggiando in Cina e Giappone. A Singapore gli venne in mente di fondare un negozio di carpenteria per la produzione di strutture in legno di bauli creando nel 1912 la Conceria Monzese che divenne la prima in Europa a produrre cuoio trattato con prodotti vegetali. I bauli per cabina a cassettoni o le borse involgiabiti contenevano al loro interno persino bastone e ombrello: le stoffe erano ricche e le cinghie sicure. Il tutto era creato con una chimica poetica: estratti di noce, mimosa, quebracho (dal Sud America) davano al cuoio morbidezza. Presto i Franzi abbero avversari ma non temibili come i Vitton e gli Adeney e gli Hermès. Fu nel 1943 che la Seconda Guerra Mondiale inflisse un brutto colpo alla Franzi che rasero al suole tutte le loro fabbriche. Negli anni ’60 si riprese con il consumo di massa e il nipote Oreste Franzi, omonimo del nonno inizia con l’architetto Cini Boeri nuove valige e «24 Ore» in resina ancora esposte al Museo d’arte Moderna di New York. Pinin Farina e Bertone utilizzano il loro pellame per Maserati e Ferrari e gli interni dei transatlantici Raffello e Michelangelo portano al loro interno il marchio di fabbrica.."

Google Translator:

"True elegance is not made of appearances, but of substance," said Oscar Wilde, "Prince of dandyism and zest for life. The family history Franzi begins more than a century ago, when in 1840, Rocco Franzi decided to settle in Milan playing in full the spirit of change and redemption period and open a small business specializing in bags and suitcases to the Duomo.

These are the years of the first industrial revolution in Europe and with the pleasure of traveling craftsmen-industrial discover the business in search of new markets and the opportunity to develop creative and functional products. Today the brand is relaunched with shops in a historic neoclassical building in Corso Venezia 36 with a new collection that is fashion, opening also to handbags, belts and more to travel goods. The future of luggage chosen by Rocco Franzi had a happy future but it was his son Happy to fully appreciate the potential and transform the lucky intuition of his father in an enterprise of the highest level. So in 1864 he founded the Happy Valigeria same name, a model laboratory near Via Manzoni. The rapid success of suitcases and trunks designed for a sophisticated clientele who loved to travel by good industrial lighted always ready to study new release criteria did not hesitate to invest in advanced machinery and skilled labor. Expert leather came from Austria and France, forming generations of artisans coming so the industry first. An industry that began even Gucci in Florence in 1900 they selected high quality leather and began to dye them. In 1905 after the success of Milan followed the openings of shops in Rome, Genoa, Rome, London, Vienna and its Happy Franzi was one of the first chosen to ricervere the insignia of Knight of the work. Already in 1877 the Franzi was appointed Knight of the Crown of Italy and in 1878 Officer of the Crown of Italy, who led the Premiata Ditta Franzi to serve the royal houses of His Majesty Vittorio Emanuele II, His Royal Majesty Prince Umberto, Umberto I , Queen Margaret, Prince Royal of Naples, one of Egypt (the Khedive), the King of Greece, His Royal Majesty the Duke of Aosta, the Count of Turin and the Duke of abbruzzi and the King and Queen of 'Italy. There are numerous honors achieved by Franzi at International Exhibitions of 1871 in Milan, in 1873 in Vienna, 1877 in Pavia, 1878 in Paris (here was a triumph), 1879 in Monza, 1881 in Melbourne, still in Milan in 1881, three years later in Turin, in 1894 still in Milan, in the famous Paris Exhibition of 1900, then again in Milan in 1906 and then five years later in Turin with Grand Prix and two gold medals. The Savoys went so far as to grant Franzi use of the Crown of the Royal House. Of the century enters the son of Felice, Orestes, in his early twenties: he had stayed in the East, traveling in China and Japan. In Singapore, it occurred to him to found a carpentry shop for the production of wooden structures of trunks creating in 1912 the Tannery Monzese which became the first in Europe to produce leather treated with vegetable products. The cabin trunks for coffered or bags involgiabiti contained within them even stick and umbrella: the fabrics were rich and secure the straps. All this was created by a chemical poetic extracts of walnut, mimosa, quebracho (South America) gave the leather soft. Soon Franzi abbero opponents but not as fearsome Vitton and Adeney and Hermès. It was in 1943 that the Second World War dealt a blow to Franzi that razed it to the soles all their factories. In the 60s she recovered with mass consumption and the grandson Orestes Franzi, namesake of his grandfather begins with the architect Cini Boeri new cases and "24 Hours" resin still on display at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. Pininfarina and Bertone use their skins for Maserati and Ferrari and the interiors of ocean liners Raffaello and Michelangelo carry within them the trademark..."

Ben