Speciale or 488? | FerrariChat

Speciale or 488?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by spiderzoo, Nov 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spiderzoo

spiderzoo Rookie

Oct 6, 2015
    As a 458 spider owner, trying to decide which one to buy next. The specs on the 488 are arguably more impressive (HP, torque, LaFerrari brakes, slip control, etc.) than the Speciale. But then there is the turbo v. naturally aspirated / sound argument and also that the Speciale is, well, special.

The specific question I have for folks here is whether someone has driven and compared both of the cars and what impressions they have.

2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I went 458 Italia to Speciale last month. It put me in year one for a 488 Spider. But, from videos I have seen and the reviews, I am not overly impressed.

My rationale was to enjoy a Speciale now and get to decide in a year.

I missed out on the CS and Scud, didnt want to miss on the Speciale.

No regrets.

IMO, I think Ferrari will not sell the 488 as easily as prior models after the first year is in the books.

3. 458italia2014

458italia2014 Formula 3

Aug 3, 2013
    Depends, if you want the faster newest model than go for the 488. If you want a more raw car with plenty of power, a better sound and will hold its value better while most likely being the last N/A v8 Ferrari ever makes and the best N/A Ferrari ever makes, then I would go for the 458 speciale.

4. Euroryno

Euroryno Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #4 Euroryno, Nov 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi there, just a quick note. The Speciale has most of the tech used in the 488. The light models are usually a test bed for the upcomming car. Speciale has similar aero (plus a few bits) la Ferrari brakes and Side Slip Control (allbeit version 1).

Perhaps base your decision on how often you want to drive it. Every time I take my Speciale out it is an event, something I look forward to, something that puts a smile on my face every time I push the engine start button (after enjoying the analogue process of turning the key I might add!). If you want all out speed I'm sure the 488 is quicker. However there will also be a quicker car next year and so on whereas there will never be a quicker naturally aspirated sports car than the Speciale. Another thing to consider is how well they hold their value, the 488 is sure to follow a similar curve to the standard 458. Having said that the 458 may start to hold its value now it's no longer in production, let alone the Speciale, one of just a few! Based on these forums it seems most people with a Speciale want to hold onto it so the supply will always be restricted even if the build numbers were not as low as other limited run models. In my mind there was no decision to be made, you are buying a Ferrari you want it to feel as amazing as possible and I don't think you can top the Speciale for feeling factor. A lot of that comes down to the visceral feeling that a naturally aspirated engine provides. In my opinion if you looking at a 488 you might as well look at a McLaren 650 S, whereas I never even test drove a 650 S when buying my Speciale. All the best with your decision!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. abdulla.alhajri

abdulla.alhajri Karting

Jul 16, 2015
    Test drove both and i am glad i went for the 458 Speciale. Heard from a local dealer a few weeks ago that it took him almost 2 weeks to sell a 488 Gtb whereby same time given he managed to sell ten 458s when it was first launched in 2010.

Everyone is going turbo charged hence new Ferrari aint the only one in the market to offer that experience.

I would go for speciale or F12 if I was you. Good Luck!!!

6. F12Berlinetta

F12Berlinetta Karting

Apr 7, 2012
    There are precious few 488s out there to test drive, leaving you with few members here who might give you a side by side comparison (take it from a Ferrari neophyte, only this forum grants you access to serious and connected F-car enthusiasts way beyond my pay grade who can offer gems of insight such as the one you're asking).

I can only speak for the Speciale because that's the car sitting in my garage. The Speciale is built on a technologically superior 488 chassis (note the front air grill, front hood notch and exhaust design of the Speciale, which matches up to the 488), has the La Ferrari carbon ceramic braking system, and has upgraded control features, meaning it may have a 458 badge, but it is not truly a 458. It is a next generation automobile with a normally aspirated, fire-breathing engine that purists adore. I can't imagine a faster, more responsive, emotional, visceral driving experience than what one garners from the Speciale. Honestly, the Speciale is a balls-out driving car, and I feel privileged to own one and can't wait to drive it whenever the opportunity arises. If it holds its value, I'll be ecstatic. If it becomes a collectors' classic, all the better.

Some say that the 488 will be quicker, and it's hard to argue given modern turbo technology. Perhaps the benefit of .1 or .2 less seconds from 0-60 is important enough to motivate a 488 purchase versus a Speciale ... there's no shame in that. I can't see making a mistake in buying either car, particularly if you get into an early generation 488 which would allow you to get out with your investment intact. The Speciale's future is left to be seen. I'm betting it will give me many miles of driving thrills and pay me back with dividends in the future. And if it doesn't, I don't care.

7. F12Berlinetta

F12Berlinetta Karting

Apr 7, 2012
    And BTW, Ryan, I think your Speciale is a beautiful model. Looks like TDF Blue, which is striking and perfectly suited for the Speciale. Makes me wonder why they didn't opt for it with the launch model.

8. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Beautiful Speciale, congrats!!! :)

9. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I haven't driven a 488 but will probably buy the spider. I have a Speciale though and that is going nowhere. I simply can't believe the 488 can be better than the Speciale. Faster, of course, but that does not mean better. The beautifully responsive throttle and instant reactions of the car, added to the inherent balance of the chassis and the punch of the engine. I have never driven anything like it. If I could only have one or the other, it would be Speciale. Presumptuous you may think but though the 488 will be undeniably good, I find comments from people like JB at EVO tend to reflect my own when I eventually catch up to driving the cars he does. His conclusion about the 488 was that it was brilliant, just not quite as brilliant as the Speciale and while it was the best turbo engine he had ever driven for response, still not at the level of the Speciale.

It is a blindingly brilliant car.

Interestingly, JB's 488 conclusion was "makes you think a bit harder about the V10 in the Huracan". I saw the Huracan spider for the first time yesterday and it does look very very nice indeed.

10. Euroryno

Euroryno Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Thank you for your comments! Testament to good design, I think the S works well in all the popular colours. My preference was TDF Blue, any Red, any silver/grey, white, yellow, black. Although yellow is toward the bottom of my preferred colours I think it looks fantastic in yellow! I just wouldn't want the attention. Blue flys under the radar rather well on public roads :)

11. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    I am also on the fence with these 2 cars and interested in others comments.

12. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    My take is if you want a track car or a garage queen that may actually go up in value get the speciale. The 488 will be a better drivers car on city roads, day to day, etc etc. However it will not hold value past the first 2-3 years of production when all new Ferrari v8s sell for MSRP or more when used and the depreciate sharply. I had the exact same option but I like to drive my cars a lot (around 10k/year), rarely track, and have no interest in a collectors car that sits. I can make more money on other investments. The only way to make real money on cars is to spend real money (eg laferrari, p1 or 918). Therefore, I just sold my 458 and am getting the 488 in about 12 weeks and then the spider next year.

13. Vcruiser

Vcruiser Rookie

Aug 6, 2015
    Montreal, Canada
    as simple as i can write it.

488 - A true street beast / amazing daily driver / still sounds better than most cars

458 S - Track savage / Not so comfortable on the street / Sounds loud and nuts

14. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    #14 koop, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
    Driven a speciale and nothing about it is uncomfortable on the street. In soft suspension and auto mode, it drives like a lexus. It's actually a bit quieter than a standard 458. Of course when you're pushing the car, it's a different story.

15. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    As an owner of Speciale and 458 coupe before it, the Speciale is not uncomfortable around town at all. If anything it makes the coupe feel like the Lexus.

We have a 650s spider too. And we think it's very fast yet boring.
    Have no doubt the 488 will feel similar to us.

If you are just starting out, get a 488 if you can. Will always be Speciale and Scuds and CS around to buy.

16. 458italia2014

458italia2014 Formula 3

Aug 3, 2013

Love this because this is how I feel, I am saving to get a speciale and once I do, I will not care what happens to its value etc.

17. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I would go for the speciale first all things equal .. I just like the sound and feel of an NA car over the turbo...
    That plus the488. Value will drop quickly due to the fact that lots of people feel this way.

18. 458dreamer

458dreamer Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Dubai
    Speciale if you want to track the car. 488 will be a better road car.

19. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #19 Hud, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
    Speciale brakes are also LAF technology derived,bhp not too shabby... Pointless comparing stats.

Mass productiin vs limited run, speciale wins

20. dolphins08430

dolphins08430 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2011
    +1

21. Tonza

Tonza Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 31, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I second opinions on Speciale over 488 if you are choosing one. My Speciale is my 6th Ferrari, and I don't plan on replacing it. May get a 488 spider for more daily use/long drives but the Speciale is a keeper.

I don't think the Speciale is great for daily use as it lacks some of the creature comforts you find in the main models 458/488. This is fine if you have another bad ass sports car for routine use, but it lacks a decent radio and is far too noisy to take a call in, so if that is what you are looking for I would choose 488. If those things don't matter, get Speciale hands down.

22. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    Speciale is my vote ..... then wait for 488 Challenge car ( don't know what the name will be .... )