Opinions on Auto Sprint? | FerrariChat

Opinions on Auto Sprint?

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Dizengoff, Nov 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    Just wondering what the consensus is here on Auto Sprint. I've had a couple of repairs done by them on my car this year, and I am really not impressed. The first time they worked on my car they didn't even complete the work properly--I had to finish putting parts back together when I got the car back.

My most recent experience was was even worse--the car doesn't run properly--it backfires and there's a very noticeable loss of torque above 3000 RPM. The repair bill was almost double the estimate, and they did a lot of work that wasn't requested. For example they replaced a window switch ($200) that I didn't ask for, and they used a switch that doesn't even match my car! When I politely asked why the bill was double what was approved, their customer service person hung up on me. Then Giovanni's wife called me back and yelled at me!

I'm not sure what to do here--I don't want to cause ill will between myself and Auto Sprint but this kind of behavior seems absolutely beneath them. They have such a great reputation. I am considering filing a complaint with the City but thought I'd ask for suggestions first.

Am I the only one here with this experience?

2. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    They really need to fold. They know nothing about customer service and are abrasive. They also have no communication and move to alter an original car with out authorization from the owner. They have a very small facility so be ready to have your 30 or 40 year old cars kept in direct sun or rain. A second rate shop at best in my opinion and based on my experience. After my experience I refrained taking half of dozen of my cars there that needed work over the years.

3. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    Where do you go in the city? I have trouble finding anyone to take my car. Giovanni is always reluctant, and then he does a half-hearted job.

4. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    I thought by law a mechanic can't charge more than the estimate without prior approval? Protest the credit card bill...

5. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    He can't. And he has a GIANT sign in his lobby that says so, as well as having it printed on his receipts. When they informed me of the total, I reminded them of the city's ordinance. That's when things took a turn for the worse and they became aggressive. I purposefully paid with my Amex so that I could have some leverage.

I figured before I started fighting back, I'd ask for input from this forum. If nobody has anything positive to say, then I'll just start the process of fixing the situation via Amex and 311.

6. Ferrarista22

Ferrarista22 Rookie

Nov 9, 2015
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    J Magoby
    I have been a customer on and off for over 18 years with various cars. Not only is Giovanni and his staff among the best in the business, but they are flat honest. I too have been told what I didn't want to hear from them before and it was for good cause. I was wrong and had my head in the clouds about my expectations with a Ferrari. To be perfectly frank, Autosprint is the only place I would recommend to bring my Ferrari in the Chicago land. There is a reason they have such a great reputation and as an independent shop actually have a working relationship with both dealers. There is a mutual respect there that is unlike anything I have seen.

My experience has been wide in spectrum ranging from simple preventative maintenance to three full engine jobs on three separate project cars. I have all but one of the cars still and sold that particular one for much more than I bought it for. I owe this to Giovanni taking such great care of the car and always pushing me to do whats right to care for my investment.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, that's definitely not the norm there.

7. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Illinois law says he can...

815 ILCS 306/  Automotive Repair Act.

The car owner must voluntarily WAIVE his right to the cost being below the estimate, in writing, without any coercion or threat to decline service...

To the OP, did you sign a waiver saying he can go over the estimate?

Bo

8. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    #8 Dizengoff, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    Grr, this forum...I type responses and it logs me out while I type. Very irritating.

See, this is the sort of customer loyalty and accolades that I've heard for years about Auto Sprint. It's why I've taken my car there. It's why I was so surprised about my experiences.

I must disagree with your point about the extra repairs being something I "didn't want to hear from them" about my car. While that's certainly true in many instances, I don't think a $200 mismatched window switch and $800 to clean starter connections fall into that category.

Perhaps it will help frame the context to know that my car was completely redone by Norwood Performance about 6 years ago (completely rebuilt engine, new electrical, HyTorq starter, etc), so most of the quirks caused by age aren't things I normally have to deal with. While the replaced window switch was a little slower than the others, it was still functional.

I really would have appreciated the option of reviewing and approving/declining those repairs. I think that's a fair expectation. And for the earlier (spring 2015) service I had them perform--what's so hard about putting the car back together properly after it's repaired? Isn't that normal?

Unfortunately, I've found there's no way to discuss it with them. They escalate the conversation so quickly that reasonable discourse becomes impossible. So what am I supposed to do? My car still doesn't run properly (they replaced my distributor, and I suspect the timing is a little retarded).

No, I didn't.

added update: as of this morning my car is headed back to AS to solve the lack of HP. I hope the issue will be resolved, and I'm more than willing to give them the opportunity to fix any issues...

9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I have known Giovanni pretty much my whole life. Yes sometimes things are a little more than estimated. Yes these cars are the hardest to work on. yes things happen. Dealership attitude is no different. No excuse but there are some family health issues with them at this time. Im sure they will put things right. sorry

10. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Look it's simple. I am sure many had a good experience in working with them, but bad attitude and short tempers is not called for in dealing with customers.

Spend a little more and go to a high line auto repair shop like Continental. At least your car will not be left in bad rain storm or in 100 degree sun. Also no attitude...

11. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Totally agree - if you live in the city or suburbs take it to Continental or Lake Forest. No need to hassle around with these guys if the reviews are so bad for them. Hope AS know what is going on with their service and atleast take the initiative to correct these situations.

12. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    FWIW neither of those places will agree to work on my car. I've asked them, they said no. Seems silly because it's only a Mondial.

13. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Thats odd...

Does that mean they don't do 308's any more? Same basic parts...

I assume they do testarossa's... as they are now high value cars...

The lead mechanic from LFSC quit and started his own business in kenosha 5-7 years ago. Someone posted about it on here, and had their major done there... You may want to search that out...

Or, like many of us, get a big garage and do it yourself :).

14. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    With all due respect, there is something you are not telling us. First Giovanni, now Continental and Lake Forest? I simply cannot believe that you called Gary Kral at Continental and said, "I'd like to bring my Mondial in for service" and he said "No". You must be doing something to **** people off. These are all good vendors.

15. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    No affiliation, but I live in the City and can recommend an alternative shop. There are two highly-acclaimed independent Ferrari shops here: Auto Sprint and European Auto Ltd.

I originally sent my 308 to Giovanni at Autosprint for its PPI, and he was incredibly thorough and professional. Some top mechanics across the country have sung his praise to me, and he is VERY well regarded nationally. That said, I also have heard from other forumers that his estimates tend to come in far lighter than actual repair bills. I do have a hard time believing he did anything half-a****, though. He's about as passionate a dyed-in-the-wool car guy and Ferrari mechanic as it gets.

European Auto Ltd. has a stellar reputation. They're a bit south of Wrigley on Lincoln Ave at Lill. TOP-NOTCH guys. They've given generously of their advice over the phone when I've been wrenching in my garage, and even fixed a seized transfer case plug I brought in, free of charge. Legit "old school" Italian car mechanics who know all the little tricks and secrets of the vintage models. Go over and see their shop, and you'll understand. At almost any given time, they've got a 308 and/or Testarossa in there for TLC. Everyone I've ever known to take their car there says it comes out better than new.

European Auto Ltd. - ultimate destination for European Classic Vehicle Owners seeking true expert levels of service, repair, and restoration.

FWIW, ALL four local shops (factory and indies) park cars outside, unless they're multimillion-dollar classics. It is what it is.

16. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    #16 Dizengoff, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    My Mondial is modified by Norwood Performance in Dallas. It's got carburetors, MSD ignition, and a hot cam. That's what I'm not telling you. When I called Continental and LFSC to see if they would work on it, I was told no. Not that any of this is relevant to my current situation...At no time in any of my conversations with any of these people have I been rude, demanding, or unreasonable. I've never raised my voice and never insulted anyone. Thanks for assuming the worst, though.

I've heard plenty of praise for Giovanni's work. I can understand that sometimes a repair goes over an estimate, and I can understand that sometimes there are extra things wrong that need to be fixed. But seriously...$200 for an unrequested and mismatched window switch, and $800 to clean starter connections...those are difficult "extras" to swallow, and I don't think anyone can deny that.

It's the cognitive dissonance of the situation that has me puzzled.

17. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The place in Kenosha is Personalized Auto Services. The mechanics are Greg and Joe Paulkner. Honest and reasonable. For a nominal charge, the pick up and deliver cars to Chicagoland in a covered carrier. FYI.

18. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    What is their website? Can't find much...

19. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    #19 Continental AutoSports, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015

We STILL and ALWAYS will, work on vintage cars - Ferrari OR Maserati. Matter of fact, as of right now, we are working on a 288 EVO, 365 Daytona, 275 GTB/4, Testarossa, 225 S and a Lamborghini 400GT; just to name a few.

20. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    I have only heard good things about Contiental... :) Sent you a PM

21. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    Thank you for the kind words. PM received!

22. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    Interesting. I called this summer, explained my situation, explained the work needed, and what's been done to the car. I don't remember who I spoke to, but I was told that you guys would rather not work on a vehicle like mine.

Whoever it was that I discussed with was very polite. I was surprised that it was declined, since it's pretty much set up like a vintage Ferrari. I'm sure you have good reason and I wanted to respect that--I experienced a similar sentiment from LFSC. So I went elsewhere.

23. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    I think you got turned down because it's highly modified...

One of the downsides of such a vehicle is that it's hard to work on. You almost need a car geek who likes to modify cars and tinker...

24. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    I used Greg and Joe at Personalized Auto Service for my 308 after they left LFSC, until I got smart and left ILLiniois
    they are great guys, very straight forward. Give 'em a call!

262-705-4705

25. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Small operation. Basically father and son. Son works full time and dad part time. Call 1 (262) 705-4705 and one of them will pick up.