Which would u buy 95GTB or 98GTS | FerrariChat

Which would u buy 95GTB or 98GTS

Discussion in '348/355' started by LorenzoR, Nov 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Guys, if you had a choice which would you buy. Setting the price aside, a 95GTB or a 98GTS and why. Both have low mileage..thanks

2. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Depends on the person. I track my car and wanted the best performance I could get from a 355, so I got a gtb as it's the lightest and stiffest variant. If open top motoring is more important than outright preformance, then the gts is probably a better buy. The performance difference is very small, so if you're not extremely handy with a stick, an F1 gts would probably as quick or quicker than a gated gtb in the real world.

3. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #3 ASK328, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    Watch Top Gear You Tube on Clarkson and his GTS.

I own both and would get the GTB every time, however if you REALLY want a removable top and see yourself touring with it off the GTS is your car.

GTB is more stiff and the top wont creak - the GTS has a removable top. I think as an investment the 95 GTB will be slightly better.

The 95 is considered the much better year also.

4. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    GTB - no question.

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I, personally, would never buy a GTS.

6. Markphd

Markphd Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    I can't see how anyone would buy the GTS with a spider available. The GTB vs GTS, no question, GTB. GTB vs Spider... depends on my intent, more than likely, I would go with a spider again, I am really pleased with the drop top, but I am not taking it to the track either.

7. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    What do you like: Chicken, Steak or Seafood? (GTB, GTS, Spider)

Personal preference - no correct answer.

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    '95 GTB

9. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    This is correct, however we can help with our owner experiences.

For example myself like others have owned them all and I think the 95 GTB is the best car and the MKT would agree.

The GTS if you like a coupe "look" and want to do open top driving often.

Spider is great looking, and if you want to drive OFTEN with the top down go for a spider - if the top breaks convert to manuel.

The 95 offers the best OBD system, a bit more HP and the hard top offers no flex, no creaking, no leaking, and is much more stiff (many also feel it is the best looking - and that's REALLY important in a Ferrari) . The spider top can be a PIA (it can also be reliable) and expensive to fix.

10. StanT

StanT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2007
    Vienna, VA
    Agree with these comments.

For me, GTS is the choice. All 4 Ferraris I've owned were GTSs or cabriolets. I love open air driving, and the top does not leak. I test drove my 98 F1 GTS in the rain, no problems then or since.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/detailing-showroom/35575-lets-see-all-355s-26.html#post139087003

11. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

12. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I used to own a 99 GTS and preferred to drive it with the top off as it would occasionally squeek/rattle over bumps. Lubed/adjusted everything, just couldn't make it silent (which is the same for every targa car I've ever been in, not just Ferrari).

I may be oversensitive to that as others riding in the car did not notice anything.

So, driving it around with the top off was fun but then parking anywhere was inconvenient because I either had to put the top on to lock it up or leave it off and risk it. I will add that the top on my car never leaked a drop.

I now own a 95 berlinetta. I prefer it over the GTS as a top that isn't removable can't make any noise and I never have to mess with taking a roof panel on and off. The berlinetta chassis does feel stiffer and I far prefer the 2.7 motronic over the 5.2 due to power and symmetry.

So, 95B is my vote but as others have said it all comes down to personal preference. If open air driving is one of your higher priorities than by all means get the GTS, it is a great car.

13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    95 355 Berlinetta, it is the Holy Grail of 355. All others are just ... wannabe Holy Grails.
    Tongue in cheek.

14. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Any '95 will be very sought after with '99's right behind. All 3 models will be great depending on the buyers preference for roof or air...

I think in the long run, the '95 Berlinetta will be identical prices with both GTS and spider for the F355.

Values set aside, I love the simplicity of the '95 engine and lack of fobs and lines of the Berlinetta. I love the wind from the GTS.

Robb

15. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I can only speak for myself, but I find the GTS MUCH better looking than the spyder. Getting rid of the rear window and butresses ruins the look for me, along with the fact that most tracks in the US don't allow spyders. My preference is GTB>GTS>a bunch of other v8's>spider.

16. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    GTS F1 is (I believe) the rarest of all 355 models.

'95 GTB is arguably the most desirable.

17. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson
    Neither. I'd buy a Spider.

18. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I agree. With the GTB you have eliminated one more source of potential squeaks, rattles, and potential leaks. With the 95 you have eliminated one more source of a potential expense due to key fobs and the factory alarm system. If the newer cars alarm system could be bypassed or eliminated then this wouldn't be an issue.

Having said that, I still think you will enjoy either car. They are both beautiful.

Good luck with your decision.

19. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Buy the better car per PPI

20. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    GTS is ok when it's a GTB, i.e. with the top on. Without the top it's an abomination, the front of a spider welded to the rear quarter of a GTB. I personally also find the Spider the best looking 355, top up or down. If you want to track a car, get the GTB. If you want a sports car, get a Spider. The GTS was made for people who are incapable of making a decision between the two and get something that at it's best isn't as good as either the GTB or Spider.

21. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    GTB no matter what year, all the way

22. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I really never liked the spider, they come off as "look at me" or 'corky romano' (no offence)

The GTB looks incredible, however i do miss the open air experience and a GTS would be the perfect compromise if it was painted.

My preference is the GTS, i suggest you stop listening to us and pick your fav

23. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    Providing you like both, I would get the one that has had all the legacy junk fixed on it. Meaning...has the dash been recovered, has the airbag been recovered, has the sticky been redone, have the headers been permanently repaired or replaced, have the heads been rebuilt...or is the owner providing recent documentation with leak down and compression numbers that their car is not a turd, has either had accident history, how many owners, how many miles. Condition. Condition. Condition.

B for best track potential
    S for those not wanting a full time convertible but will occasionally enjoy that big plus
    Spider for all time top down motoring and the love of the engine sound.

You can't go wrong with any of them unless you buy a turd of one.

24. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Interesting... So the fact that it's a Ferrari doesn't come off as a "look at me" thing but being a convertible does? Do you feel this way about all convertibles or just Ferrari convertibles?

For many people the brand is the status symbol not wether or not it has a roof.

25. mosierjr

mosierjr Karting

Sep 29, 2009
    Texas USA
    Full Name:
    J.R.
    Really? Again? Every few months the same question with no possible answer starts over again. All the same opinions, claims, and comments both polite or rude start all over again.

The only indisputable fact is that if you track your car the B is King. No questions asked.

For street cars, it is merely a subjective opinion as in art or architecture.

The debate has raged on since they rolled out the 246. Agreement is as likely as Congress becoming functional.