Wheel question | FerrariChat

Wheel question

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ScottS, Nov 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    #1 ScottS, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Can anyone identify these wheels? Told they are Ferrari genuine wheels put cannot find them anywhere. I'm told they can be a Cali or 458 option. Leads to second question:
    I presume Cali T wheels will fit without spacers but would other 458 wheels cross over?

Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Those are the forged 458 wheels. The front offset is 2,5 mm further in on the fronts and the rears are 6 mm further in than the Cali wheels. However, they are 0.5" wider front and rear. The rim flange sits at the same point on the rears as the Cali wheels would, the fronts about 4 mm further out. Just put a set of Hill Engineering 11 mm spacers on the rear if you want to get them further out. Are you planning on running a different tyre size?

3. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    #3 ScottS, Nov 21, 2015
    Those wheels are on the Cali I'm buying. Still cannot find them anywhere. I thought the forged were these below?

The team at the Ferrari dealer swear there are no spacers for this wheel.

From my pictures the wheel sizes are stock

Scott

4. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    You're right. Slightly different. With the bolt pattern of the Cali, it's quite limited what they can be. Ask the seller for the part numbers and give Ferrari a call. Also ask for a size. If neither can be produced, it's fishy. I don't recollect seeing that design on 599's or 612's. They are for sure not an FF or F12 design.

5. Brumma

Brumma Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    West Hollywood, CA
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Are you shopping at FOH?

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hmm, these look like cheaper rims to me. Observe the way the rim edge is transitioned into the body of the rim. It's been machined flat. The more expensive OE rims have smoother, much more complex transitions. The simple flat-machined and routed construction is much easier to make but is harder to keep clean and doesn't look as nice. It's most likely a 3rd party cast rim. Perhaps the OE rims were damaged and replaced.

If these rims are also brand new, that would add to my suspicion. Cars with OE command a higher price than cars with 3rd party replacement parts, especially if the replacements are not the high quality HRE, Hamann... etc variety.

Be careful.

7. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    FOH Yes.

Was assured these are genune Ferrari rims will confirm. I may be upgrading to the T or 30 rims so it may be immaterial.

Any Intel on this car?

8. Dvdcalifornia

Dvdcalifornia Rookie

Sep 19, 2011
    These are probably Ferrari correct. I looked at these with Ferrari parts dept. recently but with diamond finish which is much more expensixe (17,500).

9. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    What model are they for?

10. Brumma

Brumma Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    West Hollywood, CA
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Is it the silver 2011 with the carbon fiber trunk spoiler and side gills? If so, that car was originally fitted with the 20" diamond forged wheels. They changed it to the current wheels right before I test drove it. Was told they were Ferrari wheels, but I was told they could change them back to the 20's if I wanted. I thought it drove well and felt right. I was told the following day it had been sold, but it later reappeared in their inventory. Don't know if the sale fell through or what. I had already purchased a different California by the time I saw it posted in their website again.

11. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Yes. I like the dark contrast. It's a 2012 with 3700 miles. Have not been able to get there but buying it- I think good deal. Extend the power warranty one year with maintenance included. I think the sale fell though.

How did you like the seats ? I love them.

What did you buy ?

Scott

12. Brumma

Brumma Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    West Hollywood, CA
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    I really liked the seats--they were comfy and the dark grey inserts looked good with the black. The only missing thing for me was no LEDs on the steering wheel. Ended up buying a Nero Daytona / Beige 2010 Cali from Ferrari of Austin. I Love it!

13. LeoNewland

LeoNewland Karting

Jun 2, 2007
    Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Leo Newland
    #13 LeoNewland, Nov 21, 2015
    Scott, the white 2010 Cali shows the painted 20" 458 wheels I had on it for 3 year with no spacers and no problems whatsoever. The red 2016 Cali T has diamond polished 20" 458 wheels, again no spacers and thus far, no problem. So, as far as I know, 458 20" forged wheels will fit any Cali (2009-2016) - whether the reverse is true, I don't know. The third photo shows the 19" Cali T wheels and Pirelli's that I'm selling, hoping someone might need winter wheels and or tires.
    Leo

14. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Thanks. Yes. I like the congrats and the star effect more than the diamond 20s it came with. Nice but not enough contrast for me.

I'm also looking at the Cali T zoll(?) wheels. There's a set on eBay in black.

15. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    #15 RCorsa, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    I think those wheels are not OEM Ferrari. The proportions look wrong. I have those wheels in the diamond finish on my 458 and I've seen lots of the dark version. The spokes look too think IMO. Look carefully at the Cali and Cali T pictures above with the same wheels as my 458 in grey and diamond finish. The spokes are thinner and more tapered; if they are real Ferrari they would have to be from an old model (pre 360) and these look too new.

16. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    They can't be pre 360 wheels as they won't fit. The only wheels with a bolt pattern that will fit a Cali, are the wheels from the 599, 612, 458, 488, FF and F12. Everything else ran the 108 mm PCD, these are 114,3 mm.

I'll bet a weeks pay that those are not Ferrari wheels and the dealer is lying. Find another more honest dealer. If he is lying about something so trivial, no telling what's hiding in the deep.

17. Tireman

Tireman Karting

Nov 13, 2011
    Canada
  18. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    #18 ScottS, Nov 23, 2015
  19. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    The funds will go towards the Cali on its way shortly..

20. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    They are Ferrari wheels. Very pretty wheels.

21. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Terry
    Thank you that means a lot. Your taste is impeccable.
    Since the appreciation of the 550/575 I'm going with the late model front 8.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #22 4th_gear, Nov 23, 2015
    Well, I'll be damned, so it is a Ferrari-branded rim after all. All the same though, this wheel was not OE for the earlier Cali.

It appears to be newly-introduced 20" wheel option. IMO, while it's forged the machining on this rim is not as sophisticated or as refined as that found on some 3rd party aftermarket rims but then that's usually the case with many branded rims.

The wheel on the FoH car also looks a bit different from the one shown on the Ferrari webpage. It may be due to a parallax effect but the FoH wheel looks smaller. The FoH ad is also confusing because it states the wheels as 19" as well as 20".

23. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    #23 ScottS, Nov 23, 2015
    You are right it's listed as both. The tire sizes are clearly 20 on the side in all,photos. OE was the 20 inch diamonds as listed on the build sheet

Dealer confirms Ferrari Genuine - which is not the same as OE but is correct for the car. It also has the Ferrari Genuine CF rear spoiler and vents.

Cannot believe I would study these pictures as much but there is clearly parallax and or Ferrai brochure took a little Liberty with the images. Here's another.
    Car should be to me next week.

24. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Too busy chewing on my foot...;)

25. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    I could not find them either. Funny how OE and Ferrari Genuine are different but to me, the same. I love the car because it is not like other cars and the wheels really set it off - not common, but linked to the five star, and contrast.

Cannot wait for its arrival.

One year Power warranty and Maintenance included until 2018.

Does anyone know what these options do for consumables such as brakes? In other words, if I need brakes is anything covered int he warranty or maintenance program? Some say labor is but I cannot find any information.

Scott